Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone relocated the fuel pump yet?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 12:02 PM
Bobbed Out
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone relocated the fuel pump yet?

anyone with a fuel injected dyna managed to relocate the fuel pump either outside the tank or found a smaller tank that will accept the fuel pump?

Old 02-03-2010, 12:31 PM
tomt
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The fuel pump is pressurized. You can't run it out side the tank.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:33 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

a sportster tank will accept a fuel pump. Not so sure about being able to install on your bike though. Guess it depends on your fabrication skills, or on the skills of a custom shop that could make it work for you.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:49 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts
Old 02-03-2010, 01:01 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Yikes ...! $550 for just the case mounting box ... I guess if you gut your take-off tank you'll have the other $365 worth of parts ....

I didn't see where it showed the dimensions ... might kinda stick out if you were trying to do a 'frisco' tank ... maybe you could mount it on the upper motor mount where the cow bell horn is and conceal it behind a 'cow bell' ...?

... hey maybe you could conceal it inside your fuel tank ...

Cool that someone came up with that, but a little pricey ....

R/
'Chop

Old 02-03-2010, 01:04 PM
Bobbed Out
Tourer

i don't mind the tank that's on the bike that much

i had to take off the console though and i'm gonna have to cut the mounting brackets for the speedo off.

maybe i'll have to try my hand at tank beating 101

Old 02-03-2010, 01:06 PM
Bobbed Out
Tourer

how exactly does it mount in the tank? a sporty tanks are easy enough to come by and have the look i want. so that's a definite possibility i suppose

Old 02-03-2010, 01:16 PM
CRF
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wouldn't one of the new sportster tanks work? they already have the fuel pump in the tank..........should be just a matter of figuring out how to mount it.

I was at a bike show a couple of weeks ago and I saw a brand new Xbones with a sportster tank on it at a dealer's display - looked cool. How much more difficult would it be to do that to a dyna?

Old 02-03-2010, 01:18 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

BTW, if you want to sell the guts out of your tank, let me know. Or if anyone else has pump/float guts...

Old 02-03-2010, 02:01 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobbed Out
i don't mind the tank that's on the bike that much

i had to take off the console though and i'm gonna have to cut the mounting brackets for the speedo off.

maybe i'll have to try my hand at tank beating 101
What project do you have going on ...??

Originally Posted by Bobbed Out
how exactly does it mount in the tank? a sporty tanks are easy enough to come by and have the look i want. so that's a definite possibility i suppose
My understanding is that it allows the fuel pump assembly to be removed from the tank so a conventional carb-type tank could be used ... the fuel hose fittings go to the external fuel pump and the output then goes to the injectors ... unless I'm missing something ....

My point in my previous post is that to get a 'clean' looking build, you would need to conceal or disguise the fuel pump (that had been removed from its previous--unseen--location inside the fuel tank) ....

Originally Posted by CRF
Wouldn't one of the new sportster tanks work? they already have the fuel pump in the tank..........should be just a matter of figuring out how to mount it.

I was at a bike show a couple of weeks ago and I saw a brand new Xbones with a sportster tank on it at a dealer's display - looked cool. How much more difficult would it be to do that to a dyna?
I always kind of thought that a EFI Sportster tank would be the way to go if you wanted to get that look ... but, not sure if there is different pressure output of a Sportster fuel pump (i.e., if compatible with Dyna EFI system) ....

Now, if you want a more radical look ... peanut tank ... mustang tank ... then you would have to get creative or start looking at high-dollar custom tank work ....

R/
'Chop

Quick Reply: Anyone relocated the fuel pump yet?