Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail oem wideglide trees on a 03 SG

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 03:36 PM
Gladiator72
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Softail oem wideglide trees on a 03 SG

I am wondering if Softail trees will fit on an 03 SG.. I found a couple of sets on Ebay and it said wideglide and softail both.. Will these work for me.. I want the stops on my neck to work and grinding is not an option... If so will I need any further parts and such.. And does the SG have internal lock.

Old 04-13-2010, 03:51 PM
roofer
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes they will work, you will have to do some grinding on the trees not the frame so you will have some turning radious and your fork lock will work you just need to align the stem so the notch is in the same place as the trees you are removing, the softail and the wideglide have 2 or 3 degrees of rake in them

Old 04-13-2010, 04:46 PM
U-234
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Yes, you must grind the stops on the trees. On my '07 I had to grind the stop on the center of the frame neck. I have pics in my Album.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:56 PM
Azgunner
Tourer

Your internal lock on an FXD will not work with softail trees. If you want it your internal fork lock to work & to not have to modify your frame or the fork stops you need to buy FXDWG trees. 2000-2005 will work for your year bike.

Trust me, I actually did this on my '02 FXDL & the entire front end assy. uses the same parts on an FXDL & an FXD. The frames are different, FXDL has 32° rake, but the front ends & most other parts are the same.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:56 AM
roofer
Road Master

I put softail standard trees on my wifes 03 lowrider and the fork lock works just fine and I put deuce triple trees on my bike and the fork lock forks and now I have pre 99 fatboy trees on my bike, I had to cut the old fork lock tab off and put the stem from my stock lowrider trees and my fork lock works, so it can be done

Old 04-14-2010, 08:49 PM
Azgunner
Tourer

Originally Posted by roofer
I put softail standard trees on my wifes 03 lowrider and the fork lock works just fine and I put deuce triple trees on my bike and the fork lock forks and now I have pre 99 fatboy trees on my bike, I had to cut the old fork lock tab off and put the stem from my stock lowrider trees and my fork lock works, so it can be done
Roofer, is the fork lock gash in the lower tree stem in the same location as the FXD or did you have to change the position of the forks to get the fork lock to work or mess with the stem at all to some how reposition it in the lower tree?

I was told by HD & other triple tree manufactures that the gash in the stem was in a different location when comparing an FXD to a ST model.

If this is incorrect then I was fed a lot of bad info from numerous sources. Using stock FXDWG trees will absolutely negate the need to modify anything & will allow the use of the fork lock the same as with the stock FXD trees.

Old 04-15-2010, 02:01 AM
Gladiator72
Tourer

Originally Posted by Azgunner
Roofer, is the fork lock gash in the lower tree stem in the same location as the FXD or did you have to change the position of the forks to get the fork lock to work or mess with the stem at all to some how reposition it in the lower tree?

I was told by HD & other triple tree manufactures that the gash in the stem was in a different location when comparing an FXD to a ST model.

If this is incorrect then I was fed a lot of bad info from numerous sources. Using stock FXDWG trees will absolutely negate the need to modify anything & will allow the use of the fork lock the same as with the stock FXD trees.
Well I looked closer today at the two sets of trees I have.. The aftermarket Pro One trees have an internal fork stop setup with it as do the HD set that I have will these work on the SG without having to grind the trees or the fork stop.. Im starting to realize this is a big project.. How long did it take you to do this swap and are there any special tools and other things I need to know.. I know a I have the abilities to do this but it would be much easier it there was a step by step on the site.. I tried to find one but I cant seem to find anything.. I really appreciate the help Gunner and all of you..Thank you and ride safe

Old 04-15-2010, 08:56 AM
roofer
Road Master

Gunner I believe the gash was in the same place but you might have to do some cutting of grinding on the lower tree to get more turning radious so the lock will engage, if you have acces to a press that helps alot, if you don't get it right the first time you can move it to where you need it. I hope this helps you. The Harley shop will tell you if its not made for your model it won't fit, thats abunch of B.S.
My bike has a pre 99 fatboy trees and 2000 lower legs a headlight from a softail rocker and a windshield from a deuce. Good luck on your project

Last edited by roofer; 04-15-2010 at 08:59 AM.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:48 PM
Azgunner
Tourer

Gunner I believe the gash was in the same place but you might have to do some cutting of grinding on the lower tree to get more turning radious so the lock will engage, if you have acces to a press that helps alot, if you don't get it right the first time you can move it to where you need it. I hope this helps you. The Harley shop will tell you if its not made for your model it won't fit, thats abunch of B.S.
My bike has a pre 99 fatboy trees and 2000 lower legs a headlight from a softail rocker and a windshield from a deuce. Good luck on your project
Roofer: I here ya on HD not being able to think outside their own box. Sounds like you did good on your front ends. Personally I was looking for a known direct plug & play with no surprises. My bike is my main form of transportation, by choice, & I wasn't willing to have it down more than a couple days.

Gladiator: you should be able to do this in a day. You will need a bearing race removal tool & a tool to install new races. It's good practice to replace both the bearings & races together.

You should be able to find a shop that can remove the bottom bearing from the stem on your lower tree, unless you're able to figure out a way to get it off yourself. I tried heating it up with a torch to no avail.

Do the Pro-One trees even have a gash on the stem for a fork lock, most aftermarket trees do not. What model are your HD trees for?

I may be able to hook you up on the tools if we can figure a reasonable deposit or something. You can PM me if you'd like about the tools.

Old 04-15-2010, 11:04 PM
Azgunner
Tourer

Roofer: I here ya on HD not being able to think outside their own box. Sounds like you did good on your front ends. Personally I was looking for a known direct plug & play with no surprises. My bike is my main form of transportation, by choice, & I wasn't willing to have it down more than a couple days.

Gladiator: you should be able to do this in a day. You will need a bearing race removal tool & a tool to install new races. It's good practice to replace both the bearings & races together.

You should be able to find a shop that can remove the bottom bearing from the stem on your lower tree, unless you're able to figure out a way to get it off yourself. I tried heating it up with a torch to no avail.

Do the Pro-One trees even have a gash on the stem for a fork lock, most aftermarket trees do not. What model are your HD trees for?

I may be able to hook you up on the tools if we can figure a reasonable deposit or something. You can PM me if you'd like about the tools.