Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how could i make these trees work???

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 04:48 PM
lilsahara450r
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how could i make these trees work???

ok so im ready to install my new front end and from what ive read and from the responses i got here it should have bolted right up and i would have no problem...not the case though.
im fitting a set of trees from a 2003 softail standard on to my 2004 dyna fxdl, and when i when to check the fork stops i noticed that instead of working with the fork stops on the dyna neck, the edges of the triple tree hit the frame first and dont even contact the fork stops on my neck.
so what im asking is there any way to make these trees work of my frame? have any of you done this? and if not what is my next step?
Thanks,
Brandon

Old 03-06-2010, 05:32 PM
sober
Intermediate

I have not done this, but my uncle has a 2001 lowrider withi a softail front end. I believe he ground the stops off of the neck because softail stops are built into the tree.

Don't quote me on that though, I may not be remembering quite correctly.

Old 03-06-2010, 05:44 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Sounds like you probably have to grind down one set of stops or the other.

Old 03-06-2010, 06:52 PM
U-234
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

A picture would help.
On the '06 and up you have to grind the tree stops.

Old 03-06-2010, 07:48 PM
roofer
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you need to grind or cut the stops on the trees not the neck, you only need to do the neck if you are putting on FL trees or trees from a deuce, but be careful not go grind off to much and also make sure you position the stem right so you don't lose your fork lock. I racked my brain when I did mine, good luck. Sorry about the bad pic but I think you get the idea

Attached Thumbnails how could i make these trees work???-neck-001.jpg  

Last edited by roofer; 03-06-2010 at 07:53 PM.
Old 03-07-2010, 01:57 AM
lilsahara450r
Advanced

and this is why i keep coming back . yall always have a solution for EVERYTHING!
ok so im going to have to basically grind down the back corners of the trees like the pic above, that makes alot of sense now. but one question, how would you go about doing so without hurting the chrome and making it look right?
again thank yall SO much, i thought i was going to have to buy another set of trees. and roofer any more helpful hints would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-07-2010, 09:54 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by lilsahara450r
ok so im ready to install my new front end and from what ive read and from the responses i got here it should have bolted right up and i would have no problem...not the case though.
im fitting a set of trees from a 2003 softail standard on to my 2004 dyna fxdl, and when i when to check the fork stops i noticed that instead of working with the fork stops on the dyna neck, the edges of the triple tree hit the frame first and dont even contact the fork stops on my neck.
so what im asking is there any way to make these trees work of my frame? have any of you done this? and if not what is my next step?
Thanks,
Brandon
mine(05 FXDC with wideglide trees) does this as well. I just use the frame as the fork stops and don't worry about it. You loose a couple degrees of turning radius, but, certainly not any problem to worry about. If you desperately want to do something, you gotta take a dremmel to your lower tree and cut the area away. That will suck though cause the steel will not be chromed anymore there and can rust....so leave it alone....by the way it does this cause of the reduced steering angle of your bike vs the wideglide.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:11 AM
roofer
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those trees have 3 degrees of rake in them. I did not like the turning radious of the bike on slow turns like a u-turn I felt I was going to fall over and I like to be able to make a quick u-turn when needed, as far as rusting mine have not rusted or my wifes bike and how often do you ride in the rain.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:17 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by roofer
Those trees have 3 degrees of rake in them. I did not like the turning radious of the bike on slow turns like a u-turn I felt I was going to fall over and I like to be able to make a quick u-turn when needed, as far as rusting mine have not rusted or my wifes bike and how often do you ride in the rain.
2 deg rake. And I wash the bike, get stuck in scattered showers and live in a high humidity area myself. U-turns never a problem for me. I can understand if one feels the need for the turning radius, but, I never turn my bars to the stop anyways. So to the OP if you turn the bike to the stops and need the extra turning radius, by all means dremmel it. The trees are steel so I can't see how an uncoated steel will not rust. Guess you could just clear the area you cut and hope for the best.