Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front AND BACK tank lift Pics - 07 Street Bob

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 06:44 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm thinking this thing of worrying about the tilting or shifting of the tank forward, is getting to much thought. You've got 4 bolts tightening this thing down, I doubt it's going anywhere.. Just saying. I would be in the market for a rear lift if someone made one! I would pull my front out of retirement..

Last edited by BlockHead96; 05-13-2010 at 06:48 PM.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:47 PM
HDDyna2006
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice looking lift.

Old 05-13-2010, 07:09 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by HeLtErSKeLtER
The maker for my front tank lift uses billet aluminum. They machine a bevel into the part that acts as a keeper for the tank. No forward movement is possible, as long as the bolts don't fall out. Check out mtmcustomz at http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HARLE...Q5fAccessories

The whole pivoting forward problem isn't an issue at all with that part. You could make a keeper with a welder that would do the same thing for a lot less $ tho. I like the front kit because it is a one piece, unwelded, powdercoated assembly that matches the harley frame.

HelterS
Wow man...you paid $46 for something you could have made for a couple of bucks spent at your local home store.

Old 05-13-2010, 07:11 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member

Originally Posted by BlockHead96
I'm thinking this thing of worrying about the tilting or shifting of the tank forward, is getting to much thought. You've got 4 bolts tightening this thing down, I doubt it's going anywhere.. Just saying. I would be in the market for a rear lift if someone made one! I would pull my front out of retirement..
Why does 'someone have to make it' for you to consider installing one? Why can't you do what the OP did? If you have a drill and maybe a course file, you could make the same thing for probably $1.00 in the metal stock.

It doesn't take a scientific engineer to make these things.

I'll sell you one for $50.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:19 PM
HeLtErSKeLtER
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SC-Longhair
Wow man...you paid $46 for something you could have made for a couple of bucks spent at your local home store.
What's your point? Since I wanted it I bought it. And I bought that one because it is CNC machined from a one piece aluminum blank, bro. Sure I could have saved a few bucks, but I always buy the best I can afford.

I don't buy chinese tires either... got anything against that?

Old 05-13-2010, 08:19 PM
jackyl
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

looks great. jackyl

Old 05-13-2010, 10:24 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member

Originally Posted by HeLtErSKeLtER
What's your point? Since I wanted it I bought it. And I bought that one because it is CNC machined from a one piece aluminum blank, bro. Sure I could have saved a few bucks, but I always buy the best I can afford.

I don't buy chinese tires either... got anything against that?
My point is...why spend $50 on something that you could have gotten made a lot cheaper yet just as sturdy. I mean, CNC machined? Is your tank heavier than everyone else's on this forum? Do you think that just because it's cut from a solid piece of aluminum that it's not prone to failure? Plus, the piece is hidden behind the trees. It could have been made out of platinum w/ nice scroll work on it. No one would be able to appreciate it. Plus, it's aluminum. That looks awesome polished. Instead you paid $50 to have it painted black. Sorry, powdercoated black.

Just seemed like you are saying "hey, I got money so Im gonna throw $50 at this silly thing just because..." That's great. Im happy for you.

And what are you talking about re: tires?

...and I'm not your bro.

Last edited by SC-Longhair; 05-13-2010 at 10:26 PM.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:29 PM
HeLtErSKeLtER
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Vic

That's funny. At the start of this thread you didn't like my english grammar, which by the way was crystal clear to everybody. Then its "you blew $46 on a part you can make for 2 dollars".

Of course, after you figured out you can't make it for less than $20 and need $5k or more worth of machinery it's all about how stupid I am for buying billet & how I shoulda had it polished instead of powdercoated.

Truth is, look like a dumb ******* and you owe me an apology. Its none of your business what I put on my bike or what I spend. I posted pics to a nice little mod and this thread aint about you.

HelterS

Last edited by HeLtErSKeLtER; 05-14-2010 at 12:19 AM.
Old 05-14-2010, 12:04 AM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Looks better than I thought it would, no offense intended. I just couldn't visualize how it would look but now I can.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:49 AM
Airborne350G
Club Member
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by SC-Longhair
Original mount but in my case with the 3", I had to ream out the rear holes on the tank so I could move the tank back quite a bit so I didn't hit it with the trees at full lock. The hole is about 1/2" long now so there is plenty of room for movement. Again, although possible I wouldn't think it would become a huge issue.

If it does become an issue for the OP, I'm sure he's capable of removing the rear lift.

Pic shows where I started to drill, between OEM mount and the tank.
Looks good and good to know it does not move. My tank is real close to getting hit. I might have to lift the rear a bit and mover it rearward.. Thanks for the pics.

Quick Reply: Front AND BACK tank lift Pics - 07 Street Bob