Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible Service Bulletin...??

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 12:23 PM
Cohiba_Joe
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible Service Bulletin...??

A buddy of mine has an '01 Dyna Wide Glide that we just installed the full Kuryakyn Panacea LED setup along with the Kuryakyn HID headlamp assembly. Ever since then the LED lights will start to act a bit funky at times. After about 10 minutes of riding the lights will start flash on their own, one side will go out, both sides will go out, will change to the amber color, won't flash when brakes are applied, half the brake light will do strange things.....no rhyme or reason to what they will do. I have notice that they seem to do it when slowing down to a stop or a drop in RPMs at highway speeds; such as when he pulls in on the clutch.

Kuryakyn was contacted and they sent him a replacement module but the same thing is happening. Second guy he spoke with said the LEDs are extremely sensitive to voltage changes and operating range and mentioned that he thought Harley had issued a service bulletin for the '00-'02 Wide Glides with regards to the charging system; possible bad stator or voltage regulator. My buddy called a Harley dealer who was going to "look for it" but has never heard anything back. My first thought was possible the HID was pulling enough voltage to drop the alternator's output to below specs and was then having an affect on the LEDs but the Kuryakyn guy said the HID should have no affect at all.

Does anyone know of any service-related issues for those bikes with regards to the charging system either spiking in voltage or not providing the correct volts / amps to maintain the proper OEM range?

Thanks much,
Brian