Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FatBob vs Bridge Grating

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 05:21 PM
OldSalt
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jim425
Focus ahead and let the bike move back and forth because it's going too! Like the truck, it feels weird, but you should survive it as long as you don't do anything drastic.

BTW, it's the same thing on grooved pavement when they prep for paving.
Didn't know that about the grooved road. They're reworking a road nearby I haven't gone on yet. Thanks.

Originally Posted by CRZYLGZZ
dont know your riding experience,

but that fatter front tire handles a whoolllee helluva lot better than the skinny's.

as far as grating goes, skinny or fat, be mindful, maintain speed, no sudden moves,

as far as wet road conditions, ive take curves at 40-45, and a few round about curves at say 45 or so, and noooo problems.. she handles well, and loves to grab the streets.

those speeds are no indication on how all FatBobs, will handle, but your give scoot and the road its proper respect, and you will be rewarded handsomely.
First bike. Have been riding it for just over a week.
Love how it handles so far. Better than the rice burner I rode back in November in my Basic Rider class.
Have alot of curves and a traffic circle in my area I've been practicing on.
Thanks

Originally Posted by bigdaddy33
Also keep a relaxed grip on the handlebars.
Gotcha'! Thanks

Originally Posted by Taddeoeg
Could be - I don't ride downtown often. Must be 3-4 years since I've gone over the Matthews.

Shands is really no big deal. My gf had the same concerns when she first started riding her own. She knew that when we went over grates with her on the back you could hear a difference. The only real issue is not fighting it - yeah, it may wander a bit but only inches, sort of like getting caught in a gouge in the road. Relax and you'll do fine. After her first crossing Cathy was like "yeah, no big thing".

The Buckman is a totally different thing. First of all, it's our version of the Indy 500 combined with a demolition derby. No grates, but check out the expansion joints next time your cross it in your cage - there are pretty big (maybe 1 foot square) cleats near, but not on, the lane marker lines. Them suckers stick up at least an inch or more and they're steel! You really don't want to hit one with a bike tire. Easy to avoid but you need to watch for them.
It is. But the Main Street bridge is still fully grated.
Thinking of trying the Shands this weekend from my house here in the World Golf Village area.
Will graduate to the Buckman sometime this summer - maybe.

Thanks for all the help.

Old 06-01-2010, 05:33 PM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by bhidalgo
First bike. Have been riding it for just over a week.
Love how it handles so far. Better than the rice burner I rode back in November in my Basic Rider class.
Have alot of curves and a traffic circle in my area I've been practicing on.
Thanks
then the best thing for you to do is just go ride the bridge a dozen times. over and back, over and back, over and back.

do it a few times, feel the way the bike moves, increase your speed each time, and then forget about it.

Old 06-01-2010, 06:15 PM
jwlehman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I understand your apprehension, but it's not as bad as you think. Here's an excerpt out of the Indiana motorcycle endorsement manual:

Old 06-02-2010, 12:33 PM
joemacro65
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont think you will have a problem on a Fat Bob. I had to ride about 5 miles on a road that was being re-surfaced. I probably did it going 50mph or so. The fat bob handled it well....but, I definately stayed alert.

Old 06-03-2010, 04:54 PM
OldSalt
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by joemacro65
I dont think you will have a problem on a Fat Bob. I had to ride about 5 miles on a road that was being re-surfaced. I probably did it going 50mph or so. The fat bob handled it well....but, I definately stayed alert.
Thanks.
BTW how're the roads there in Cajun Country to ride on? I'm originally from Opelousas, many moons ago, but have never ridden a motorcycle there.

Old 06-03-2010, 05:47 PM
Badmonkey
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jwlehman
I understand your apprehension, but it's not as bad as you think. Here's an excerpt out of the Indiana motorcycle endorsement manual:

I do what The Indian manual says is wrong...I swerve to stay in control of where my bike goes instead of having the grooves direct the front tire