Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tale Tell signs of an exhaust leak?

Old 07-11-2010, 05:54 PM
jrobinson424
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tale Tell signs of an exhaust leak?

How can you know for sure if you have an exhaust leak? Any suggestions on how and what to check?

Old 07-11-2010, 06:21 PM
red devil
Outstanding HDF Member

What makes you think you have one? Did the sound change, lose power? Take off the heat shields and inspect the entire system. The gaskets would be the first place I would check and any place there is a weld, like a stepped header or mounting brackets. But check the entire system cause I've seen pipes crack straight down the side.

Old 07-11-2010, 06:29 PM
Ratbob
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Smoke from a stick of incense works great.

Old 07-11-2010, 06:38 PM
jrobinson424
Cruiser

Originally Posted by red devil
What makes you think you have one? Did the sound change, lose power? Take off the heat shields and inspect the entire system. The gaskets would be the first place I would check and any place there is a weld, like a stepped header or mounting brackets. But check the entire system cause I've seen pipes crack straight down the side.
I just all of a sudden starting hear this noise like alot of air. I took a piece of paper, folded it up, & put it where the pipes go into the engine. Then I revved it up. The paper did not move one bit on either head. Just a weird noise. I thought it was from the new engine guard I put on but I can hear it when it's sitting still. Any suggestions?

Old 07-11-2010, 08:28 PM
Ratbob
Road Master

Loose shield maybe? Let it cool down and check all the way around the engine and exhaust looking for something that vibrates when you tap it. Is it a constant noise, or a pfft,pfft,pfft sound? If you do have a leak the smoke will show it a lot faster than a piece of folded up paper. Also check the junction between your header pipes and the muffler cans.

Old 07-11-2010, 09:55 PM
jrobinson424
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Ratbob
Loose shield maybe? Let it cool down and check all the way around the engine and exhaust looking for something that vibrates when you tap it. Is it a constant noise, or a pfft,pfft,pfft sound? If you do have a leak the smoke will show it a lot faster than a piece of folded up paper. Also check the junction between your header pipes and the muffler cans.
I will check out all of that tomorrow. Thanks man.

Old 07-12-2010, 06:33 PM
UnSamnedBob
Cruiser

Take a shop rag and hold it over the end of the mufflers and see if you can catch any leaks with the incense stick.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:19 PM
jrobinson424
Cruiser

Ratbob hit the nail on the head. I tightened up the clamps on the heat shields and the sound went away. Thanks guys.

Old 07-13-2010, 02:12 AM
Ratbob
Road Master

noises SUCK - glad you found it!

Old 07-13-2010, 03:37 AM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,810 Likes on 1,063 Posts

You'll hear a more pronounced "tikking" sound at speed and if you put your hand over the end of the exhaust at idle you'll be able to feel a slight "inward" sucking sensation.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tale Tell signs of an exhaust leak?