Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Billet Oil Cooler Install

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 08:09 PM
wlbowers
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 97 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Billet Oil Cooler Install

Got all of the parts in and decided to go against the grain again. I did not like the look of the oil cooler on the down tube so I decided to mount it horizontally below the regulator.

I bought the 8” billet oil cooler, two stainless lines and the jagg adapter from Wimmer. Got a good price I think.

I pondered on how to mount it and came up with a bracket that bridged between the inside bolts of the crash bar mounting.

I roughed in a bracket to hold the cooler out 1 ½”and up 1 ¾” from the bracket center. I have drawings I plan on taking to a friend at a machine shop for a proper one.

I had put the oil temp sensor on weeks ago, and the location that I had to use just didn’t get it for stable honest temp readings. So I decided to correct that during this install.

The jagg adapter is an offset unit and this made it simple to pull one of the hose ports and replace it with a close nipple and tee. The sensor went into the side port of the tee and fits below the oil filter. This put it directly into the oil flow once the thermostat opens on the jagg unit. The gauge doesn’t read till the oil gets over 170 degrees anyway. The brass tee doesn’t even show up and extended the line hookup perfectly.

I decided on the thermostatic oil flow adapter because of the crazy temp differentials we get in the Memphis area. It can be 60 in the morning and 90 in the afternoon.

Well I got it finished what do ya’ll think.

Here are three views.

[IMG]local://upfiles/6454/F1115C0809A644219B48A76E97D2E5BC.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-11-2006, 08:12 PM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Billet Oil Cooler Install

Looks good. Haveta let us know what temps you run now.

Old 09-11-2006, 08:14 PM
KidFXDWG
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks sweet!

Old 09-11-2006, 09:28 PM
KeithB
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

looks good

Old 09-11-2006, 09:40 PM
mikec
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Not bad at all!

Old 09-12-2006, 03:16 AM
veniculum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nicely done. I'd be interested in hearing how effective it is.

Have you thought about putting a chrome cover on that voltage regulator? I bought it for mine and it looks better than the plain black plastic. 35 bucks I think for the cover. Or you could get the entirely chromed out voltage regulator...personally, I like the cover better.

Todd

Old 09-12-2006, 02:28 PM
bobcowan
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like it. I've been pondering the same additions for my bike : permanent temp gauge and a cooler of some kind. Ingenious mounting solution. You don't mind of I copy that, do you? The thermostat is a must for a year round or three season machine. Personally, I wouldn't run any street machine without a thermostat.

The big question is, how does it work? Did you get a significant drop in temp?

Also, please tell me more about the temp gauge you are using.

Old 09-12-2006, 11:51 PM
wlbowers
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 97 Likes on 40 Posts

ORIGINAL: bobcowan

I like it. I've been pondering the same additions for my bike : permanent temp gauge and a cooler of some kind. Ingenious mounting solution. You don't mind of I copy that, do you? The thermostat is a must for a year round or three season machine. Personally, I wouldn't run any street machine without a thermostat.

The big question is, how does it work? Did you get a significant drop in temp?

Also, please tell me more about the temp gauge you are using.
I used the 1.5" Micro Gauge # 74513-04. It is not suppose to fit the 06 Low Rider. I got issues about being told that.

The gauge scale starts about 110º. There must be a small amount of oil going through the cooler at all times because I could see the temp crawl up the scale. I mounted the sender in the return line from the cooler. I want to see the temp of the oil going to the engine. The thermostat starts to open at 185º and is fully open at 195º. Once it has opened it stays till it goes ambient. This is according to Jagg.

It was about 78º when I started out with a ambient temp engine. It took about 20 minutes for the jagg to start opening. The temp peaked at 200º. I could actually see the temp vary when I would stop at a red light. The temp would go up about 10º and when I started moving again would come back down to 200º. It never rose more than 210º no matter how long I was stopped.

When I got home I opened the oil filler cap and checked the temp of the oil in the engine with a fluke temp meter. It was 233º. Of course the oil had to go through the oil filter first so I don't know what the temp was as it entered the oil cooler. I doubt if the oil filter dropped the temp much..

Lets just say I am very pleased with it's operation.

I have autocad drawings of the bracket that I made to mount the Billet Cooler to the crash bar bolts. It can be revised to bridge the downtubes for a MC that does not have the crash bars.

I have ordered a rotation block from Jagg that they have just come out with. I plan on putting that on the adapter when i get it. I will take photo's of the temp sensor mounting then.

I will be glad to help anyone that wants to duplicate the gauge mounting, oil cooler, and temp sensor.