Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3rd New Motor Mount...and a Loaner Bike!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 05:18 PM
Phrogman
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PGDredd
OK....first the "supposed" fix.....which I have to say I'm not all that satisfied will fix it.

When the mechanic looked at it yesterday he said the mount was split. Today they said there was nothing wrong with the mount, but that it was rubbing against the frame at it's top-most part. What Harley told them to do was "file off" .020" from the top of the mount so there was more clearance between the mount and the frame. I just rode the bike home and there is no more vibration, but they actually took it out, put a hand file on it and shaved it down to put it back in. Sounds half-assed to me, and not like a real fix. I told them if it happens again I'll be looking for a new bike......MD lemon law says 4 repairs that effect the safety or overall value of the vehicle (motorcycles included) within a period of 24 months or 18,000 miles would legally entitle me to a new vehicle. We'll see. I love my WG, but am not going to deal with this for the life of the bike! 3 times in one year is too much! That fix to me sounds like they threw some chewing gum on it to hole things together for a while......I don't like it.
PGDredd, that sounds like the fix they now recommend for those of us who experience excessive vibration. I could see where a clearance issue there could result in premature bearing failure. Basically, since there isn't enough clearance between the top of the bearing and the T-bar of the mount, you're putting excessive force on the bearing itself all the time.

I don't think it's a half-assed repair in your case either. Ride it for a while and let us know if you have any problems. I'm going to do this to my bike tomorrow I think, been meaning too but I'm still running my shim fix.

Last edited by Phrogman; 10-02-2010 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Stupid fingers...
Old 10-02-2010, 07:38 PM
PGDredd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know.....just seems like "take it out and grind on it" does not seem to actually fix the problem of clearances not being done right on a mass production vehicle.

And why were they sure the mount was bad yesterday then all the sudden it wasn't?

Old 10-02-2010, 08:08 PM
Phrogman
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I got a wild hair and decided to do the work on my bike tonight. Went out there and looked at the bike, sure enough, the rubber of the bearing was pressed up against the "T" bar of the front motor mount. I pulled the bearing, filed it down at the top (rubber only) and put it all back together. I also took out the shims on the front motor mount that I had done as a quick fix for the vibes.

Went out for a test ride and sure enough, the bike doesn't have a harmonic vibe anymore, just the normal vibes a Dyna should have. I'd be willing to bet that the amount of pressure exerted on the mount from the T bar could cause it to fail. But that's just conjecture on my part. My mount is fine and it's still the original after almost 15K.

There's an email on the site in one of the vibration threads which details how much to file, how much clearance there should be.

Last edited by Phrogman; 10-02-2010 at 08:11 PM.