Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'07 Superglide Custom vs VTX1800C

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 12:54 AM
wannavee
Cruiser
Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts
Default '07 Superglide Custom vs VTX1800C

Hi, first post. I have an '03 VTX 1800C that I've lowered, installed a Highend Raven seat and put drag style T bars on. My previous bike was a Yamaha R6. My riding history (started in '83 with a KZ650 LTD) has mostly been sportbikes. Here is my question, I really like the look of the '07 Superglide custom plus it seems like a screamin deal, what I like about my VTX is the muscle bike look and the acceleration, what I dont like is the low speed handling. I'm 5'7 with a 28" inseam. I'm thinking that the Superglide will out handle the VTX and have enough scoot to keep me entertained after having a VTX 1800. I also think it will be more nimble and sportbikeish (vs the Honda not vs the R6). Anyway can someone "wax poetic" about how a new superglide (or Dyna) will be my motorcycle salvation? P.S. BTW I will in fact ride before I make up my mind but I still want to hear what a long time Dyna owner would say about the bike's strengths and weaknesses.

Old 09-22-2006, 01:04 AM
KeithB
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: '07 Superglide Custom vs VTX1800C

Welcome to HDF from Utica New York. I am sure you will love the handeling and the power of the Super Glide. I have a 07 it was bred for the twisties. It also handles very well at slow speeds

Old 09-22-2006, 01:06 AM
voyager1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[sm=welcomesign.gif]

any dyna is a beast. go for the harley,hands down, you will not be sorry .

[sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 09-22-2006, 01:46 AM
Helix
Tourer

Although Ive never ridden a VTX I have a friend at work that has a VTX 1800 and after I allowed him to ride my Bob he put his bike up for sale. I own an 07 Street Bob and all I can say is you will not be dissapointed in the power band thats for sure. The Dyna has a very nice smooth ride and is very Nimble. I think it out performs my Sportster when it comes to curves " twisties to some " etc. Also the Harley will never depriciate as much as the Honda will. Im 5' 11" 185 and the Bob just is pure motorcycle to the core, plenty of power ( same as the super glide ), and awesome looks. I cant come up with one complaint against My Dyna ...sorry! I agree that you should ride one , call around to local dealers and see when they are offering ride days. Im sure youll be a Harley Owner soon!! Good luck on your decision and welcome to the Forums!!!

Old 09-22-2006, 02:54 AM
Slash
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 48 Posts

ORIGINAL: wannavee

I really like the look of the '07 Superglide custom plus it seems like a screamin deal
I agree,but good luck finding one at the dealer.The '07 SG Custom rocks,but in previous years the custom wasn't really much of a step up from the regular Superglide so they really didn't sell very well.Now this year there's changes:You get the Fat Bob Tank that's like the WideGlide's,a really nice looking custom battery cover,spoked wheels (used to be a $400 option) Dealers around here tell me there's a lot of interest in the new look Custom,but they didn't order any due to the previous Customs not selling well.

I'm most likely buying the standard FXD Superglide.(Got money on one that's coming in) mostly because I prefer cast wheels over spokes (especially if you get a flat tire) and I'm one of those kind of guys that thinks it's ok not to have all that whole retro look on every Harley.I especiallly like the standard Superglide's aircraft style gas cap and easy to read fuel guage.

Old 09-22-2006, 03:13 AM
bobcowan
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A harley is a special kind of bike, and certainly not for everyone (good thing). Only you can make that decision.

Take a close look at each one. Sit on each one. Listen to the motors. Take a ride if possible.

Which one gives you a woody? Buy that one.

BTW, welcome from Utica. I moved here from Deansboro 11 years ago. I still stop at the Franklin once in a while when I'm in that corner of the galaxy. Pasta in vodka sauce gives me a woody

Old 09-22-2006, 03:46 AM
iwant1
Tourer

I have about 25 years riding motorcycles, mostly road bikes. I've ridden a lot of different bikes but early this year I bought an 06 Superglide Custom.
I can say without hesitation I enjoy riding my harley more than ANY other bike I've ridden, no exceptions. A hell of a lot of people wonder what all the fuss is about - untill they get on a Harley and ride it.

Here in Australia the FXDCI comes standard with nice chrome dish rims and spokes. (I love spoke wheels, as opposed to mags, personally I think they look way better, but as you can see we've all got our opinions, each to their own).

I've had so many great experiences in the 6 months I've had my Harley I wouldn't know where to start, but let me tell you one thing, if riding a Hog don't turn you on, you aint' got a switch.

Just get a Harley mate, you'll love it.

Old 09-22-2006, 03:48 AM
AZ Rider
Road Warrior

I would suggest renting one for a day.

Old 09-22-2006, 12:51 PM
TowJam
Road Warrior

Wannavee,

I've owned both a VTX1800F and VTX1300C. I can tell you right now that ANY of the Dynas and the VTX1300 will out handle the 1800. Yes, the 1800 is a torque monster and is orgasmically quick off the line for a cruiser. But... it's also over 100lbs heavier than the FXDC and as you already know, it's a pig at slow speed maneuvering. If I were going to buy another VTX, I'd go with another 1300 as the 1300 is a smoother and (relatively) more nimble bike. Unfortunately, Honda has decided to keep the 1300 carb'ed for '07 and I will not buy another carbureted bike. (The 1800 is the only Honda cruiser with EFI.)

You'll find the fit and finish is better with Harley over the Honda - no plastic at all on the Harley while much (if not most) of the VTX's trim pieces are plastic. (Honda makes great bikes but in my mind, their cruisers aren't their strongest line.) And not that it matters unless you trade bikes annually (like I do) but VTX do not hold their value worth a damn. In fact, in '05, Honda announced incentives on the surplus 1800 stock that effectively killed the used market for that bike - and it still hasn't fully recovered. As a favor to a friend who owns a local Honda dealer, I helped out with an '06 clearance sale last weekend and they still have '05 stock on the showroom and in the warehouse. Resale value may not mean much to you but it's a good indication of how the market views a particular model.

Last year, I traded my 1300 in on an '06 FXDC and have never considered buying another metric cruiser.

just my $.02

Old 09-22-2006, 01:14 PM
jackyl
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

hands down on the harley.rode my buddies vtx 1300 and thier is no comparision to my streetbob.go with the dyna,and you will never look back.if you ask me the dyna line is the most versetile of the harley bike.a good all around bike

Quick Reply: '07 Superglide Custom vs VTX1800C