Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disappearing Engine Oil

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 05:50 PM
T-CON
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have only had one oil change cycle where I had to add oil mid-cycle. It was also the only time I have let a dealer change my oil and I really think they did not add enough oil.

Old 01-22-2011, 06:19 PM
RonnR
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If it was low from a dealer change. You would see it when you checked the oil before your next ride.

Old 01-22-2011, 07:20 PM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have 26k on my 08 and I never have had to add any oil between oil changes.

Old 01-22-2011, 07:25 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,377 Likes on 2,382 Posts

Not normal, take the bike out for long ride, let it idle, while on the jiffy stand, for a couple of minutes. Turn off engine, after about 1 minute check level. If low, add to full mark, check in a.m. before next ride and check after ride to verify where the oil level is. Then monitor level from that point. It's quite possible it's being drawn into the intake. Also possible if a tech did the work he/she didn't properly fill the oil resevoir.

Old 01-22-2011, 08:41 PM
creaky1
Advanced

Thanks everyone. Nearly all the suggestions I have done. I check it cold and hot on the Jiffy Stand. I pulled the plugs after I posted to check again and they are clean. The bike runs great. I have not checked the primary but will tomorrow. After the 5k service I did check everything and all was ok. When it has used oil it seems it has done it suddenly. Still under extended warranty so not real worried except that it may need to be torn down. Hopefully not but cant imagine where its gone unless it has passed into the primary.
Thanks again.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:52 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

I have three bikes with the 96" motors. None have ever moved off the full mark even on the first 5K.

The Sporty will use 1 qt. the first 5k then 1/2 qt. the next 5k and none after.

I would question your technique in measuring. Are you following the owners manual?

Old 01-23-2011, 07:05 AM
dynarule
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like what was posted before, Check the primary fluid level and see if its over full. The crank seal could be leaking into the primary. It happens.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:35 AM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,221 Likes on 1,954 Posts

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
Not normal, take the bike out for long ride, let it idle, while on the jiffy stand, for a couple of minutes. Turn off engine, after about 1 minute check level. If low, add to full mark, check in a.m. before next ride and check after ride to verify where the oil level is. Then monitor level from that point. It's quite possible it's being drawn into the intake. Also possible if a tech did the work he/she didn't properly fill the oil resevoir.
Above is the proper procedure. (Per Manual) The idle part is very important. Mine will not read correct if the idle procedure is not followed.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:14 PM
creaky1
Advanced

I have been measuring it correctly. The tranny was fine today, didn't have time to check the primary yet. The throat behind the air cleaner was very oily but AC was good. The two black tubes pointing into the intake appear to be the source. I have an extended warranty so tomorrow I will call the dealer. The manual listed a number of things it could be most of which I cant repair on my own. Hence the warranty...
Thanks

Old 01-24-2011, 09:48 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by creaky1
I have been measuring it correctly. The tranny was fine today, didn't have time to check the primary yet. The throat behind the air cleaner was very oily but AC was good. The two black tubes pointing into the intake appear to be the source. I have an extended warranty so tomorrow I will call the dealer. The manual listed a number of things it could be most of which I cant repair on my own. Hence the warranty...
Thanks
Unless I missed it, you never did mention where you keep your oil level at.

Do you hug the full mark and keep adding oil just to keep it there?
If so, that may be your problem.

Try keeping it halfway between add/full. You might be in for a pleasant surprise. I've known cases where the consumption stopped after trying that.

Your oily throttlebody is a clue here.