Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Braided cables vs Stock cables.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 01:17 PM
kk6pg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

I thought all harleys built after 2007 had braided brake lines stock. I know mine did when I bought it. It has a rubber sheathing over it to hide the braid, but it still has it. The only reason anyone switches to externally braided lines on a late model is for cosmetics

On single front disk Dynas, you WILL notice a difference between non-braided and braided lines in a panic situation.

Old 03-04-2011, 02:59 AM
MJR28
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a single disc Dyna - 2010 Wide Glide and I switched to Magnum cables just for the look and I'm glad now I did. I haven't noticed a difference in braking but they look awesome.

Old 03-04-2011, 04:49 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,545 Likes on 4,637 Posts

Cables and brake lines are black for a reason, to make them less obtrusive.

Why call attention to something ugly by making it shiny?

Everything does not have to be shiny or chrome plated.

Old 03-04-2011, 05:15 AM
20RoadGlidin
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
Cables and brake lines are black for a reason, to make them less obtrusive.

Why call attention to something ugly by making it shiny?

Everything does not have to be shiny or chrome plated.
A matter of opinion. A whole motorcycle could be considered ugly by some and not by others, but that doesn't mean that the owner shopuldn't do what he wants to it.

On the other side of the coin, I can't help but laugh when I see some riced out mitsubishi eclipse with a giant spoiler and bright yellow wheels on it. This whole "if it gets attention, it must look good" fad is ridiculous. Here's on I just couldn't resist taking a pic of. I love how the passenger side door is primered, so the huge dragon decal is missing its mid-section:

Attached Thumbnails Braided cables vs Stock cables.-picture-012.jpg   Braided cables vs Stock cables.-picture-016.jpg  
Old 03-04-2011, 04:38 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

deleted

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 03-04-2011 at 04:46 PM.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:51 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by --utaptout--
A matter of opinion. A whole motorcycle could be considered ugly by some and not by others, but that doesn't mean that the owner shopuldn't do what he wants to it.

On the other side of the coin, I can't help but laugh when I see some riced out mitsubishi eclipse with a giant spoiler and bright yellow wheels on it. This whole "if it gets attention, it must look good" fad is ridiculous. Here's on I just couldn't resist taking a pic of. I love how the passenger side door is primered, so the huge dragon decal is missing its mid-section:
Of course, this is just a matter of opinion also...

Old 12-29-2012, 07:23 PM
hawnd83
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah yeah, I know how dead this thread is but couldn't help saying that if ANYONE doesn't notice the increased power and overall better feel of braking performance from switching from stock rubber brake lines(even the ones with sections of hard line) to any braided line they are an IDIOT. If you aren't in tune with your bike enough to even notice this modification you probably don't even deserve to ride one. I have personally switched them out on multiple bikes I've owned and other peoples bikes. Upgrading to a braided brake line is NOT an "imaginary improvement" And not once did I buy chrome or colored cables to look cool or just cause I felt like spending money on my bike, it was always for the performance value. Not to mention like others have said it will protect from abrasions but does also prevent from visually inspecting for deterioration.

Old 12-29-2012, 10:05 PM
20RoadGlidin
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by hawnd83
Yeah yeah, I know how dead this thread is but couldn't help saying that if ANYONE doesn't notice the increased power and overall better feel of braking performance from switching from stock rubber brake lines(even the ones with sections of hard line) to any braided line they are an IDIOT. If you aren't in tune with your bike enough to even notice this modification you probably don't even deserve to ride one. I have personally switched them out on multiple bikes I've owned and other peoples bikes. Upgrading to a braided brake line is NOT an "imaginary improvement" And not once did I buy chrome or colored cables to look cool or just cause I felt like spending money on my bike, it was always for the performance value. Not to mention like others have said it will protect from abrasions but does also prevent from visually inspecting for deterioration.
So you used your 4th post ever to troll and call people idiots?

I switched out my front brake cables by necessity when I switched out my bars and you know what? There is no difference in braking performance. They work just as great as they did before, no better. In fact, if stock style cables had been available in a longer length for a Fat Bob, I'd have saved a couple hundred bucks and bought them instead of the Magnums. If you think I don't deserve to ride my own bike because I don't feel a difference that doesn't exist, that's your opinion, even if it is ridiculous. If you perceive a difference that may not be there, I'd argue that you may be the one out of tune with your own bike.

Anyway, welcome to the forum, and good luck.

Old 12-30-2012, 05:06 AM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,866 Likes on 1,222 Posts

On my 04 the Magnum brake line is a noticeable improvement, I guess the newer bikes already have the braided upgrade.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:47 AM
_LostSoul_
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

You won't notice a difference until you start mashing the brakes. Huge difference.

Quick Reply: Braided cables vs Stock cables.