Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Braided cables vs Stock cables.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 05:38 PM
kirk180
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Braided cables vs Stock cables.

Hi guys. Looking at possibly getting new cables. Searched the forums and seen a lot of threads on people adding braided cables to their bike, but can't find a thread stating if there's any advantages, or disadvantages. And being the newb that I am...I'd appreciate some insight on it.

I put some 10" Carlini Evil Apes on my 2010 vivid black fxdc...but don't know if I should go with the stainless steel lines? Who gives the best price on them? Where to look for these so called black braided lines? Or if it's not worth it and I should just keep the stock ones? etc.

Any insight is appreciated. I understand some may do it because they cosmetically like the look of the stainless braided lines more. Just wondering if there's something else I may be missing. Are they a pain in the *** to care for compared to stock?

Old 02-16-2011, 05:51 PM
nutter
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

harley has black braided cabes i just put them on my lowrier. u can see them on the harley site.

Old 02-16-2011, 05:58 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Braided cables are stronger and there for the brake line will hold a higher pressure and give you more brake power. As far as brands I prefer Magnum cables. They are less expensive than the overpriced Harley Diamond Backs and much nicer.

Drew

Last edited by DR. V-TWIN; 02-19-2011 at 12:47 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:59 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,558 Likes on 3,060 Posts

Braided cables don't swell like rubber brake lines, so there's more pressure making it to the pads. And I believe that over the really long haul, they may live longer. ( Mine are pushing 12 years old.)
Braided COATED cables won't eat anything they touch like non-coated cables.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:04 PM
KYFATBOB
Tourer

As everyone else says they last longer for one and look 5 times better than stock, I got mine from hill country customs for a great price.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:19 PM
dmayer
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Magnum also has a nice website that helps in ordering cables of differing lengths than stock if you've changed out your handlebars. I just swapped out all my cables for their black pearl ones.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:23 PM
20RoadGlidin
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN
Braided cables are stronger and there for the brake line will hold a higher pressure and give you more brake power. As far as brands I prefer Magnum cables. They are less expensive than the overpriced Harley Diamond Backs and much nicer.
Drew
Hey Drew, sent you a PM

Last edited by FXD2003Rider; 02-19-2011 at 12:51 PM. Reason: adjustment in accordance with initial post
Old 02-16-2011, 10:34 PM
kirk180
Tourer

Originally Posted by --utaptout--
Hey Drew, sent you a PM
I probably will be sending you one this weekend as well. I'm at work all night tonight and won't be able to look into my options until this weekend. tTanks for all the replies guys.

Now to try and figure out if I want Chrome or Black braided lines on a vivid black fxdc with Chrome bars and black controls. Thoughts? Can't view them on the computers here. Google images are blocked at work...as well as this site. And I'm replying now on a phone that's too small for good images.

Damn work intranet.

Old 02-17-2011, 04:14 AM
DCLXVI
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I think the braided cables are more for looks than anything. The braided brake line does give you better braking. Put your fingers on a rubber line while you apply the brakes and you can feel it swell. That is energy that is wasted that could be used to apply the brake.

Old 02-17-2011, 04:15 AM
20RoadGlidin
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kirk180
I probably will be sending you one this weekend as well. I'm at work all night tonight and won't be able to look into my options until this weekend. tTanks for all the replies guys.

Now to try and figure out if I want Chrome or Black braided lines on a vivid black fxdc with Chrome bars and black controls. Thoughts? Can't view them on the computers here. Google images are blocked at work...as well as this site. And I'm replying now on a phone that's too small for good images.

Damn work intranet.
As you might be able to tell from my pics, I'm all about contrasting colors. If I had your color scheme, I'd go with the Sterling Chromite cables from Magnum Shielding. They'd look awesome against the vivid black tins. For mine, I plan on going with their black pearl cables to contrast all my chrome and my denim silver tins.

Quick Reply: Braided cables vs Stock cables.