Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Braided cables vs Stock cables.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 12:50 AM
hawnd83
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Joe...maybe I should have specified, for those of us who swap out our entire brake line on single disk front ends from the stock crap it leaves the factory with will notice a HUGE difference. I know you only swapped out your upper line on your fb dual disk set up. What I don't know is if you have those crappy stock rubber lines down at your calipers which would still hamper performance. and Im sure the dual disk generally performs better than a single. I wouldnt know cause Ive never ridden a HD with dual disks. I had no intention of "trolling" as i have better things to do than bicker with people on the internet. I apologize for the misunderstanding.

Last edited by hawnd83; 01-14-2013 at 01:30 AM.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:06 PM
20RoadGlidin
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by hawnd83
Joe...maybe I should have specified, for those of us who swap out our entire brake line on single disk front ends from the stock crap it leaves the factory with will notice a HUGE difference. I know you only swapped out your upper line on your fb dual disk set up. What I don't know is if you have those crappy stock rubber lines down at your calipers which would still hamper performance. and Im sure the dual disk generally performs better than a single. I wouldnt know cause Ive never ridden a HD with dual disks. I had no intention of "trolling" as i have better things to do than bicker with people on the internet. I apologize for the misunderstanding.
No worries. I apologize if I sounded like a dick. Anyway, I did have to swap out the upper and lower section because the Fat Bob cable setup is all one piece. I havent ridden many of the single disc bikes so its hard to make a good comparison. As previously stated though, I think on the newer bikes, the cable is steel on the inside and then rubber on the outside. Either way, I've always been happy with the way my brakes perform, and I haven't heard any comlpaints around here from other members.

Last edited by 20RoadGlidin; 01-14-2013 at 12:09 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:48 PM
hawnd83
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As far as Harley's go, I replaced fronts on both my 09 Nightster and 07 Street Bob's stock brake lines with steel braided lines and noticed a big gain in stopping power and reduced lever travel, and both bikes stock lines were 50% steel tubing and I still noticed a big difference. In all honesty, after I switched out my SB brake line it sat in the garage for a week or so before I got to ride it. I had totally forgot I switched out that front line pulled out of my drive way down to the stop sign at the end of the road(which is at a pretty steep angle to begin with) and started to ease on the brake and it grabbed so fast(compared to before) it almost threw me off the bike!! No BS!! I would say different bikes might respond differently to the mod, and maybe some people adjust to it faster. Maybe I'm a more aggressive rider demanding more from my brakes. I came from sport bike begining's and this is where I learned of the difference in brake line performance. Either way to me I notice a difference and its worth the thirty or fourty dollars to have one. To each their own, that's why everybody's bike is different.