Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do ignition switches go bad?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 06:49 PM
JHL-ShinySideUp
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by wideglidebob
dah yeah mechanical things go bad,
Thanks. Very helpful.

Picked up the aftermarket replacement at my indy today and swapped it in. Connectors were badly corroded, and I don't expect to have to replace it again, so I soldered and shrink-wrapped then taped the junctions.

One significant difference: the kromewerks switch they sold me has three positions: Off, Ignition, and Lights. The Lights position simply turns on the "dash lights" inside the tach and speedo. The engine starts and runs in either "on" position.

This is different from the OEM Off, Accessories, Ignition options, even through the three wires (red, red/black, and red/white) are the same on both switches.

Oh well. It's been mine for a week and I now know how to take off the seat, pull the battery, and install a new ignition switch. Cool.

Oh... I also bought a $3.00 front left turn signal mount and relocated my blinkers to the forks. Way, WAY better than the $44.80 the dealer wanted for a relocation kit!

Old 02-23-2011, 02:03 AM
Legion Rider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buying anything that is not from the stealer will allways be cheaper.

Another thought for you, if you ever have any electrical issues in the future, find a radio shack or similar and get some electrical contact cleaner. WD40 works but you risk a chance with leaving residue on the contacts. The right electrical cleaner will not be oil based.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:53 PM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Legion Rider
Buying anything that is not from the stealer will allways be cheaper.

Another thought for you, if you ever have any electrical issues in the future, find a radio shack or similar and get some electrical contact cleaner. WD40 works but you risk a chance with leaving residue on the contacts. The right electrical cleaner will not be oil based.
Another thing about WD40, it's flammable!