Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whining noise in 5th gear

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 01:20 AM
veniculum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Whining noise in 5th gear

Thanks guys. I think the bottom line is what Doug and Dennis (and some others) are saying...if I did have a legitimate problem, it would be pretty damn obvious. In this case, it's just a noise. That said, I tend to take NEW noises seriously only because they are just that...new..and often new noises can indicate a new problem. In this case, the bike is functioning perfectly...and after reading the posts that others hear the same thing..and that there are different type gears, etc etc...I am not going to worry about it. I will definitely pay attention..but I pay attention to everything anyway, so it's all good.
I guess the concern for me, in this case, was that I've heard so much since I bought this bike about the primary bearing. Not only have I read about it online..even HD made me sign something when I bought the bike that said I would have it inspected at 15K miles..then they sent a letter that said they didn't feel it was an issue anymore. All of that combined caused me to be concerned. I still don't really know much about this particular issue...and if there was a problem with it on my bike, I wouldn't even know the symptoms. What I do know is that they did the tranny recall at about 1200 miles. I'm sure that they would've seen a problem if there was one at that time. Now I have close to 4000 miles, and the bike has performed flawlessly..including my 8 degree injectors

Anyway, I really do appreciate the comments. The beauty of this message board is you can get people's opinions before you go to the dealer with a false alarm....which I'm almost certain at this point that this is just that...a false alarm.

Personally, I wish I knew more about the mechanics of these machines. I'd love to know more about things so I could come up with my own educated guess. Unfortunately, I didn't grow up working on cars and bikes....so I'm like a woman (no offense ladies) when it comes to these things....get on, fill 'er up, and go. Hopefully as time goes by I will learn more...and will get more hands-on experience. Until then, it's either post here, or go to the dealer.

I will definitely keep you guys posted with this.
Thanks again everyone!

Todd

Old 10-20-2006, 09:27 PM
Roadie 49
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 06 Road King. Without the windshield, no motor noise at all,
just the sweet tune of S&S pipes.
Put windshield on, and all the strange noises will drive you nuts.
I won't use windshield unless it's freezing.

Old 10-20-2006, 10:24 PM
AZ Rider
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1st and 5th are spur gears, while 2,3,4, & 6th are helical gears
This is correct. This pic below shows the gears: