Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whining noise in 5th gear

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 01:00 AM
veniculum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Whining noise in 5th gear

Hey guys...I did a pretty good ride today (with some forum guys...thanx!)...and I noticed towards the end of the ride that my bike was making a whining type of noise when I shifted into 5th gear (at and above around 50mph). Does this sound familiar to any of you. It's an 06 WG...and I'm wondering if this sounds like the primary bearing issue. Any comments would be appreciated.
Thanks

Todd

Old 10-16-2006, 01:48 AM
misfit
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Whining noise in 5th gear

My 06 SG has made that sound since I first picked up. I also get that noise in first gear as well and I've put about 7600 miles on it with no problems. I think it is because of the 1st and 5th gears are not the same type of gear as the rest.

Old 10-16-2006, 02:03 AM
veniculum
Road Warrior

Thanx misfit for your reply. Let me ask you....I don't know much about the gears and the transmission...so I really don't know what the differences are between one gear and another. I definitely have a bit of a whine in first...always did. But this thing in 5th is higher pitched and just started. Either that, or I just never heard it..but it was a little too obvious for that I think. What I was wondering...did you ever mention this to your dealer? I'm going to bring it in and ask regardless..but I'd like to hear what anyone has to say about it.
Thanks again man.

Todd

Old 10-16-2006, 09:26 AM
grueter
Intermediate

I have a 06 Wide Glide also with the same problem only 1000 miles, and my dealer in Ohio (Cincinnati) tells me it is NORMAL. I think that stinks.[] ANYBODY ELSE[????????????

Old 10-16-2006, 09:45 AM
Jet x 4
Tourer

Todd
The new windshield you are using may be the source of the added noise. The engine and trany noise can rise to your ears with the dead air space created by the windshield.

Rich

Old 10-16-2006, 10:13 AM
misfit
Advanced

1st and 5th are spur gears, while 2,3,4, & 6th are helical gears making them much more quite. Check with your local dealer, but I believe the noise to be normal.

Old 10-16-2006, 01:27 PM
veniculum
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Jet x 4

Todd
The new windshield you are using may be the source of the added noise. The engine and trany noise can rise to your ears with the dead air space created by the windshield.

Rich
I really thought about that. I was also wondering if my earplugs were allowing me to hear it more as well. For the first half of my ride yesterday, I didn't have them in...but on the way back I did...when I have them in, it blocks much of the wind noise...allowing me to hear other things.
Still..I never noticed this before yesterday...windshield or no windshield....plugs or no plugs...and I'm usually very conscience of noises. It probably wouldn't bother me nearly as much if I heard it from the beginning...like 1st gear. But this is new...and I've got over 4K miles on the bike now. Why it just started is beyond me.
I'm going to go out for a ride today and listen again...I'll try with and without a windshield, and I'll let you know what happens.
Thanks again guys

Todd

Old 10-16-2006, 05:22 PM
JollyRogers
Road Master

It IS because you added the windshield... you can now hear it. Look at all the 07's (tourers) complaining about the tranny noise and realise you also have the same tranny in your 06 Dyna. I have both an 06 Bob and an 07 Road King... My bob has never made any real noise I can hear, but then if I take off the windshield on my Road King I hear no tranny noise either. Never had a windshield on the Bob. and never will, but it would not surprise me if it makes the same noises.

Old 10-16-2006, 08:09 PM
misfit
Advanced

I normally ride with earplugs and I can always hear the noise. However, when I don't use the earplugs I can't hear it, because of the wind noise.

Old 10-16-2006, 08:57 PM
CycleDrider
Road Master

Todd,

Usually whining noises can be associated with bearing or gear mesh. Something to associate with the noise is does it change as the speed increrases? Another thing is does it occur as you open the throttle up in that gear? Whinig could be mistaken as an air leak, more like a whistle. Also I wouldn't rule out what was added lately. You got the new tire. Do you think its coming from that direction?

Let us know how your test run went...

Quick Reply: Whining noise in 5th gear