Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slipping Handlebars

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 03:29 AM
Tech23
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I had Renthal aluminum bars on my CR 250R. The were not knurled like the factory bars. The directions said to take an emery strip and sand the bottom half and the top half of the bar clamps completely smooth. It also said to radius the edges of the clamps so that there were no sharp edges that could cut into the handlebars and reduce the clamping area. Essentially by making everything smooth you are just increasing the clamping area. The bars never moved on me following these directions. If the bars clamps have marks in them from knurled bars and the bars are smooth with no knurling I think you can see how the clamping area is reduced resulting in slipping bars. I think I would try this before sticking anything in there to try and tighten them up. Cut strips from a beer can...really!?...LOL.

Tech23

Old 03-31-2011, 03:44 AM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 492 Likes on 280 Posts

Shouldn't need anything in there to stop the slipping, sounds like your clamp is worn.

Old 03-31-2011, 05:23 AM
bobnehoc
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

You could have the bars knurled. I used to have a hand knuler that would do the trick. Check with a local machine shop to see if they can do this for you.

Old 03-31-2011, 05:32 AM
bikertrashchad
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the beer can trick does not work (that is too funny and brilliant), cut a piece of copper tubing in half with a hack saw. Anyone that has had apes 16+ for any length of time, regardless of the risers and the bars, has experienced slippage. Mine normally slip when I hit a really hard pot-hole/bump at road speeds or if I hit a suden gust of wind like the 25+ MPH headwind I rode in coming back from Daytona this year. Just part of being in the BIG APE club.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:23 AM
thrillbilly
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ZEROFIVEFOUR: thanks for the link, guess i was searchin for the wrong terms.

and thanks everyone else, appreciate it

Old 03-31-2011, 08:18 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
With apes, make sure you have a one piece top clamp...apes get a lot more stress at the clamp...if it is a two piece top clamp set up the bars are gonna want to fail eventually.

Kevin
I hate to disagree with a sponsor, but this is just not 100% true. It depends on the quality of the bars, I have run 2 piece clamps on apes for years without a problem. The size of the clamps will also have an effect, the small stock ones are not ideal, that's for sure.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:48 AM
Prodriverdon
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would also try poly bushings...

Old 03-31-2011, 09:51 AM
HATZO1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What worked for me and my 16" Burly Apes was Locktite Red. I applied a little bit on both top and bottom of the knurled area on the bars and clamped it down to the proper spec, then let it dry for a few and I have not had the bars slip since. I even marked the bars to see if there was any and nothing.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:12 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

cut some small strips of Emry cloth, (can be found at any hardware store) works great i have done it a TON of times now... helps grab the bar and prevent it from sliding... had it on my old bar set up for years! did it on a customer bike 2 nights ago as well... works great!

Old 03-31-2011, 12:05 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,963 Likes on 2,309 Posts

Originally Posted by 8541hog
I hate to disagree with a sponsor, but this is just not 100% true. It depends on the quality of the bars, I have run 2 piece clamps on apes for years without a problem. The size of the clamps will also have an effect, the small stock ones are not ideal, that's for sure.
8541hog, thank you for the clarification, I should have been more clear.

A few years ago the Motor Company issued a service bulletin regarding apes and the small stock two piece top clamps, stating that because of the leverage exerted on apes there was a tendency to metal fatigue and possible breakage of the handlebars between the two clamps over a period of time.

They recommended that their one piece top clamp be used when installing apes.

As you state, there are many larger two piece top clamps that may do the job just fine.

Kevin

Gear Up & Ride in! DK Custom 4th Annual Open House, June 8th. 🏍️ Click HERE For The Lowdown.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Quick Reply: Slipping Handlebars