Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slipping Handlebars

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 12:20 PM
SodFather
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dont mean to hijak the thread...so your telling me I should look into changing out the stock clamps on my streetbob? I dont need my bars falling off or anything.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:49 PM
HOGRIDA_06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I use a center punch and put raised dimples on the bar in the clamp area. That combined with a piece of thin rubber (bike inner tube) between the bottom riser and the bar and you'll be good to go.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:05 PM
dynabobster
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would carefully rough up the surface of the top clamp and risers area and the bar area where it contacts the clamp reassemble it and see if that helps. Rough it up, not remove material.

I personally would not put anything in between the clamp and the bars, this could easily lead to the same problem and if this needs to be done then I would question the clamp or the manufacture of the bars. If you need more clamping force then you could sand down the face of the "risers" a little to reduce the radius, but this should lead you to just replacing them.

If you look on the top one piece clamp there are two small stand offs cast into it and those need to contact the lower riser to start so with the one piece top clamp make sure you snug down the lower bolts so the clamp contacts the risers first and then torque the upper bolts and then the lower bolts.

Personally I would not run a bar that was not Knurled and I could care less who the manufacturer was, simply a cost saving operation throwing safety out the window. Both my '07 and '09 stock bars were knurled, '06 was not? Seems to me there was a recall or service bulletin on the '06 bars breaking?? The OP was not clear on whether the bars are OE?

Old 03-31-2011, 01:06 PM
QehQeh
Road Captain

Originally Posted by HATZO1
What worked for me and my 16" Burly Apes was Locktite Red. I applied a little bit on both top and bottom of the knurled area on the bars and clamped it down to the proper spec, then let it dry for a few and I have not had the bars slip since. I even marked the bars to see if there was any and nothing.
This sounds like false security to me. Of course the problem with tall apes is the amount of leverage at the grips. Have you tested how the Loctite will hold in a hard braking/panic stop situation?

Old 03-31-2011, 01:16 PM
HATZO1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by QehQeh
This sounds like false security to me. Of course the problem with tall apes is the amount of leverage at the grips. Have you tested how the Loctite will hold in a hard braking/panic stop situation?

I found the suggestion on the forums here when I was having trouble, and the bars have been on the bike almost a year and in all types if on road situations. With no slippage at all. I used loctite red which holds very tight.

Old 03-31-2011, 03:46 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Since I'm no machinist, would it be possible to take the bars in question to a local machine shop and let them knurl them? I'm not 100% sure of how that process is performed, but worth a suggestion.

Also, you could use a center punch to create some basic knurling to allow the top clamp something to bite into. Ya know, when you c-punch it usually causes material to push up creating a sort of rim. I know it's not a lot of material but it may just be enough.

Old 04-01-2011, 02:29 PM
QehQeh
Road Captain

Originally Posted by SC-Longhair
Since I'm no machinist, would it be possible to take the bars in question to a local machine shop and let them knurl them? I'm not 100% sure of how that process is performed, but worth a suggestion...
The knurling is done, usually on a lathe, before the bends are put into the bars.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:00 PM
TX_Mason
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another easy fix would be to put an alignment mak on the bars and risers, pull the top clamp, drill a small hole through the bars (carefully, don't wanna nick wires) into the riser and insert a roll pin to hold the bars in that position. Once the clamp is back, you'll never know its there.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:39 PM
MikeSz
Cruiser

Okay, try this stuff. Check some bicycle websites for stuff made by Ritchey. It is a red gel with microspheres suspended that is used to reduce the torque requirements for slipping handlebars. worked on my roadbike (bicycle). It is gritty and can scratch surfaces, so becareful when cleaning any excess. Even wiping with a rag will leave scratches. It is not a glue.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:51 PM
==ShaDoW==
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

few fixes for this out there, use a hole punch and make your own by drilling a hole then punching out a bit, or as posted elsewhere drill a small indentation in the riser and place a ball bearing in there and torque it down on that, or do the same thing and insert a high tensile split pin (also drilling the hole in the bars).

I myself don't have knurled bars and don't worry about it that much I would prefer my apes gave way if I ever went of the front in an accident I know a few guys that have been hurt quite bad, cause their apes didn't move and the apes and their body took all of the impact in the crash,

Quick Reply: Slipping Handlebars