Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 Wire LED signal with 3 Wire Original, What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 04:01 PM
Aaron 09FXDB
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2 Wire LED signal with 3 Wire Original, What to do?

Need some help/advice. I have a 2009 FXDB. I bought the Alloy Art Marker strut lights and I plan on replacing my rear turn signals with them.

The original Rear Signals have 3 wires, the new Alloy Art signals have 2 wires.

Looking at the service manual it looks like Right signal is: BLK,BRN,BLU and Left is: BLK,VIOLET,BLUE.

From another member on here I've been told to use the BLK and BLU wires for the two wire signals (connecting to the 2 wire BLK and RED of the Alloy Art lights), but what do I do with the BRN and VIOLET wires?

I can trace the wiring diagram and see the BRN and VIOLET wires lead to the TSM/TSSM.

On another note I plan on using a plug in Badlands or Street Magic load equalizer.

I also am looking at replacing my front signals with the Joker Machine fork LEDs, and and looking at the wiring diagram I will have the same 2/3 wire issue with them.

Anyone have some advice? Thanks.

Old 04-06-2011, 04:12 PM
bobnehoc
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

There is a good chance that they are internally grounded and you do not need to use a ground wire. This will leave you with two wires to connect and cap off the ground lead. You should probably check with Alloy Art tech support on this, but that is my guess.

Old 04-06-2011, 04:20 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

You have it backwards, the Brown and Violet are signal wires, the Blue is Taillight/Run, and black is ground.
Get a 9v battery or use a couple wires off your bikes battery and test what the wires do on the new light. If black to negative and red to positive doesnt work, then try putting the frame of the new on the negative and try each wire on positive.

Old 04-06-2011, 04:35 PM
DSnoopy
Elite HDF Member

Yep, I'm getting a friend to help me when I do this!!! lol

TIo the OP, please let us know how it turns outand take some pics. I am also planning on getting those sigs later this year.

Old 04-06-2011, 04:48 PM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would think that since there are only 2 wires that they will be turn signals only...no running lights like the stock 3 wires.

You mentioned that the new lights have black and red wires...this makes me believe that they are not grounded by mounting, but rather by the black lead.

So, if you hook them to the blue lead, they will only be running lights and if you use the brown and violet, they will be turn signals...black is ground of course.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:01 PM
Robotech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Just looked at their web site and the example they have on there shows a three wire setup...might want to call them...

Also, chances are when you go with new front signals they will be three wire...I haven't seen one that isn't so far.

Last edited by Robotech; 04-06-2011 at 05:04 PM.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:34 PM
Aaron 09FXDB
Cruiser

That picture is for the 91-05 Dyna. I have the 2006-10 Dyna ones.
I'll try and give them a call.

Originally Posted by Robotech
Just looked at their web site and the example they have on there shows a three wire setup...might want to call them...

Also, chances are when you go with new front signals they will be three wire...I haven't seen one that isn't so far.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:43 PM
Aaron 09FXDB
Cruiser

I can see it now. It's also what Mascman said as well. When I look at the wiring diagram, the Brown and the Violet go to the TSM/TSSM, and says the BROWN/VIOLET are the "Left/Right Turn Feed". So it would make sense that the blue is running/brake.

So can I get away with just connecting BROWN to Red, VIOLET to Red, Blk to Blk....and leave off the BLUE? I just won't have running lights on the back Except the tail light itself?

Originally Posted by 8541hog
You have it backwards, the Brown and Violet are signal wires, the Blue is Taillight/Run, and black is ground.
Get a 9v battery or use a couple wires off your bikes battery and test what the wires do on the new light. If black to negative and red to positive doesnt work, then try putting the frame of the new on the negative and try each wire on positive.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:46 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Yes, that will give you turn signals only.

Old 04-06-2011, 06:32 PM
Aaron 09FXDB
Cruiser

I called Alloy Art. They said that I can wire it in without the (run/brake) light connected, and of course it will only be turn signals only. To get the run/brake feature back I will need to wire in a module to do that function. Possible solutions are a badlands or biketronics product to both equalize and do the run/brake function as well. So...on to my next phone call.

Originally Posted by 8541hog
Yes, that will give you turn signals only.

Quick Reply: 2 Wire LED signal with 3 Wire Original, What to do?