Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

10,000 miles Exhaust+aircleaner... no tuner Update

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 02:11 PM
952dave
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 10,000 miles Exhaust+aircleaner... no tuner Update

I know that your "SUPPOSED" to add a tuner when you change the pipes and breather, well I didnt. I installed pipes with "torque cones, no baffles" at 1000 miles and then a heavy breather around 5000k. When I ride, its usually full throttle hell raising at it's finest, so I would say that its been through the ringer. I haven't had the 1st hiccup from the results from these mod's. Has anyone else had the same, or opposite experience?

Old 04-07-2011, 02:21 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

the main issue is what is going on in the motor man... problem with doing this is your bike can run VERY lean and burn up... but... i have yet to see a piston from someone who has tried this so i can not tell one way or anther... take it for a spin and hit it with a temp gun

i guess for me... i do not see the point in spending the money for the intake and exhaust if your not going to get the performance out of the bike by adding them... that is the main reason i would not do it. if you just want the soudn pop on the pipes, basicly running the intake and pipes is not "helping" the bike that is for sure...

i fn love you paint in your sig pic man

Old 04-07-2011, 02:31 PM
paul s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have seen holes in pistons from lean conditions. Yours might be doing alright, since you did the mods at different times it wasn't too far off to readjust but I would rather have more fuel for my fire with a tuner. What do your plugs look like?

Old 04-07-2011, 02:59 PM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

What year bike??

Old 04-07-2011, 03:20 PM
952dave
Tourer

JRK5892 the main issue is what is going on in the motor man... problem with doing this is your bike can run VERY lean and burn up... but... i have yet to see a piston from someone who has tried this so i can not tell one way or anther... take it for a spin and hit it with a temp gun

i guess for me... i do not see the point in spending the money for the intake and exhaust if your not going to get the performance out of the bike by adding them... that is the main reason i would not do it. if you just want the soudn pop on the pipes, basicly running the intake and pipes is not "helping" the bike that is for sure...

i fn love you paint in your sig pic man

Joe, the paint in my sig, is probably my favorite setup that Ive had so far. I know that the pipes and air cleaner don't HELP performance, but they sure help the appearance. I know that dyno numbers prove that tuners add performance, but I ride with a buddy that has my exact setup + a tuner, and his bike isn't any faster. I know that a increase in performance doesn't necessarily mean that a bike would be faster, but in my case it doesn't add anything obvious. (maybe his isn't tuned right?)

I have seen holes in pistons from lean conditions. Yours might be doing alright, since you did the mods at different times it wasn't too far off to readjust but I would rather have more fuel for my fire with a tuner. What do your plugs look like?

Have you seen holes in pistons from a efi bike? When I was racing, I had a bike scatter a piston because it was running to lean, but that was a totally different situation. My plugs look normal as far as old plugs are concerned.

I know that this isn't the best option as far as my motor is concerned, but to the guys like me, I haven't had any problems. And if/when she blows apart, I'll just have a reason to add some real HP....

Old 04-07-2011, 03:29 PM
2011Deluxe
Banned
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Actually 07 and later efi bikes no longer require downloads or tuners with AC and or pipe changes....but people keep paying the man for something that they dont need.

The following users liked this post:
DataScoutTyperUSMC (02-23-2017)
Old 04-07-2011, 03:48 PM
retxpres
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by thegrants82
Actually 07 and later efi bikes no longer require downloads or tuners with AC and or pipe changes....but people keep paying the man for something that they dont need.
Is This True..........

Old 04-07-2011, 04:09 PM
952dave
Tourer

Originally Posted by retxpres
Is This True..........
I would say so...

Last edited by 952dave; 05-04-2011 at 09:22 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DataScoutTyperUSMC (02-23-2017)
Old 04-07-2011, 04:28 PM
kk6pg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

I wont get into a long lengthy discussion about this, but the bottom line is you aint killing the motor. The only place you'll notice a problem is during hard acceleration at WOT, and then its only going to bog a bit

Old 04-07-2011, 04:44 PM
952dave
Tourer

Originally Posted by kk6pg
I wont get into a long lengthy discussion about this, but the bottom line is you aint killing the motor. The only place you'll notice a problem is during hard acceleration at WOT, and then its only going to bog a bit
Must be a very minuscule, I cant complain...

Quick Reply: 10,000 miles Exhaust+aircleaner... no tuner Update