Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXDX handling monster

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 06:21 PM
koaffiliate
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FXDX handling monster

I want to make my 99 FXDX a handling monster. What do I need?

Old 05-01-2011, 09:27 PM
Shrewgy
Novice

Sputhe Positrac, Race Tech Gold Valve kit, springs and fork rebuild, Ikon Suspension 7610 or 7614 rear shocks. Ok, since so many more have chimed in on this I agree that Howard at MotorcycleMetal.com is the man, he set me right on my brake set-up. The guy knows it all when it comes to setting up Harley for braking and handling, no joke. Urethane riser mounts, good bars and seat all help. Being comfortable on the bike inspires confidence.

Last edited by Shrewgy; 05-03-2011 at 02:45 AM. Reason: Update added more information to original post.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:10 AM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,854 Likes on 1,218 Posts

Originally Posted by koaffiliate
I want to make my 99 FXDX a handling monster. What do I need?
Trade it in for a sport bike.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:49 AM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Improve your suspension (front and rear), get a set of performance tires, set yourself up in the best riding position with aggressive handlebars and a seat with good rear and lateral support. Other parts to consider adding are a steering damper and a motor stabilizer.

A good place to start is motorcyclemetal.com. Check out the site and give Howard a shout. Good luck.

Old 05-02-2011, 10:13 AM
Fat-Bob-Brad
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OldMike
Trade it in for a sport bike.

You aint wrong there mate no such thing as a monster handling Harley full stop.

Buy yourself a R1 / GSXR 1000 / Ducati / Aprila / Kawasaki / all in sports bike mode not the street fighter stuff.

Then you will get your wish but it wont be SOOOOOOO Cool.

Regards Brad

Old 05-02-2011, 10:16 AM
t3h_clap
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bigdaddy33
Improve your suspension (front and rear), get a set of performance tires, set yourself up in the best riding position with aggressive handlebars and a seat with good rear and lateral support. Other parts to consider adding are a steering damper and a motor stabilizer.

A good place to start is motorcyclemetal.com. Check out the site and give Howard a shout. Good luck.
Some inverted ohlins up front and ohlins rears with the external res. Match all that with the dual disc front brake setup. I think you'd have your monster

Old 05-02-2011, 04:11 PM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've been riding for a year now with Ohlins HD219 (S36PR1C1LB) shocks in the rear. This past fall/winter I went with Ohlins 30mm FGK 205 Cartridges in my newly built front end. Both front and back are fully adjustable.

Also went with Avon Venoms, Flanders TT Track (G5) handlebars and Storz/Ceriani steering damper. Bike handles great.

Old 05-02-2011, 04:28 PM
Jay Risk
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default +1 on t3h_clap

Originally Posted by t3h_clap
Some inverted ohlins up front and ohlins rears with the external res. Match all that with the dual disc front brake setup. I think you'd have your monster
I have put on the bike: sputh aluminum rims, Metzler 880 tires, dual front Brembo brakes, Ohlins rear shocks and Ohlins Drop-In Fork Cartridges, and Tru-Track stabilizer. Bike handles incredibly well and is comfortable beyond expectation. Took a long time to get it here, but the bike is where I want it now. I wouldn't call it a Monster, but with a 95" build and TC-2 cam, it makes me sit up and pay attention. Good luck. Plan long range and talk to Howard at MotorcycleMetal.com. He's a wealth of information. Jay

Old 05-02-2011, 04:39 PM
creekhed1
Road Master

What do you need?

AN FXR!

Old 05-02-2011, 04:46 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

i run progressive front and rear, metzler rubber, stearing damper, fork brace, and polly mounted risers... new motor mounts make a big diff as well... true track is on my list but not in my budget as of yet... bike rips in the turns i can turn like a sport bike... also stopping is good! run lyndall gold pads

Quick Reply: FXDX handling monster