Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Noise Driving Me Crazy!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 05:47 PM
VTL nut
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lo-rider
You newbies make me laugh, throwing money at your bike, instead of reading your owners manual and learning how to ride your bike properly. RTFM! It tells you when to shift (using your speedo). And just listening to your motor should give you a small clue. LOL!
Reading the Dyna manual is where he probably got the gear change every 10 mph. If memeory serves me right thats where my 96", 6 speed is supposed to be changed (per the manual), but after some ride time one figures out where the sweet spot is in the RPM range.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:25 PM
Odis01
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guilty, took a ride tonight. thought i needed a fuel programer ,smaller baffles, bal bla bla. I just need to learn where to shift. Thanks for the post. I will almost never use 6th.
Jim

Old 05-11-2011, 11:38 PM
bigmikaele
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by doorsidedown
Pinging when you roll hard on the throttle is called a spark knock and it's because you're running too lean. With a power commander and modified exhaust/air intake, go get a good dyno tune and you'll stop pinging... You can add all the oil additives you want or run at whatever rpm you want, but that won't fix your problem.
Ok... what if you get it professionally tuned by Star Racing (after having it tuned no so professionally by the Harley Dealership) and when the RPM's are low and you crank it, it pings a little until the RPMs build, or you down shift and it goes away? Do you think it is still a simple dyno tune issue? What if you never have a ping problem if you keep the rpms up?

Old 05-12-2011, 06:31 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

I don't think it is really pinging, it is lugging the motor which is more like chugging.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:32 AM
SBRob
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,157 Likes on 1,652 Posts

Originally Posted by 8541hog
I don't think it is really pinging, it is lugging the motor which is more like chugging.
Ding, ding, ding...we have a winner.

BTW, this thread has been beaten to death...really.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:56 AM
INADAZE
Cruiser

Originally Posted by SBRob
Ding, ding, ding...we have a winner.

BTW, this thread has been beaten to death...really.

Absolutely! Ignore the manual and shift on the 5's NOT the 0's unless you're still accelerating. It may appear to whine a little more at a higher RPM, but it's normal and is the sweet spot on the 96. My Nightster was the same way...

Old 05-12-2011, 08:09 AM
bigmikaele
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I know... It's kind of like marbles but I agree it isn't pinging. What some people assume is pinging isn't. Maybe that was my point...

Old 05-12-2011, 09:52 AM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It's called pinging, and is very destructive.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:28 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by lo-rider
It's called pinging, and is very destructive.
How do you know that? Did you hear it?
If he is no longer having the issue with simply changing when he shifts, it is not truly pinging. Pinging is a function of high compression and low octane gas causing inefficient combustion, more than shift points.

Old 05-12-2011, 11:25 AM
doorsidedown
Road Captain

Originally Posted by bigmikaele
Ok... what if you get it professionally tuned by Star Racing (after having it tuned no so professionally by the Harley Dealership) and when the RPM's are low and you crank it, it pings a little until the RPMs build, or you down shift and it goes away? Do you think it is still a simple dyno tune issue? What if you never have a ping problem if you keep the rpms up?
If that's the case then no, you're right it's a shift issue. If the rpm's were high enough and it's still doing it, yeah it's a tune issue. Sounds like he figured it out though. Nice looking scoot you got there btw.

Quick Reply: Engine Noise Driving Me Crazy!!!