Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter Riding, Hand Deflectors

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 08:30 PM
DougsDyna
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Winter Riding, Hand Deflectors

ORIGINAL: Kevinski

Thanks for that Doug, it was the mount I could not see in the pictures.

Cheers Kev
If you still need to see the mounting, I should be putting them on in a few weeks, and can send a pic.
It is just as simple as unbolting the mirror and attaching the deflectors.
These things are very stout, nothing flimsy. Built to last.

Old 11-04-2007, 09:29 PM
zuma
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like it, I am going to look into them. Tonight my hands were frizzen and it was only 48. Is it a clamp release?
Thanks doug

Old 11-04-2007, 09:51 PM
DougsDyna
Banned

ORIGINAL: zuma

I like it, I am going to look into them. Tonight my hands were frizzen and it was only 48. Is it a clamp release?
Thanks doug
No, they bolt on to the brake/clutch assemblies via the mirrors. Takes a few minutes for on off after the first time.
They are basically the same deflectors used on ATVs. They are transparent and lightly smoked.
They are not a cure for cold hands, but when used in conjunction with heated gloves or really warm ones, and/or heated grips they help.
I am hoping they work even better this year, with the addition of the windsheild.
The deflectors do a good job of blocking the wind, and actually would be good all year round (rain and bugs in summer).
I just don't particularly like them on there.

I am trying to ride throughout the winter months, without freezing to death, or looking like a snow bunny in some huge mittens and snow suit.

DougJ

Old 11-04-2007, 10:02 PM
zuma
Road Captain

Cutting the wind changes your wind chill on your hands big time.
Thanks

Old 11-05-2007, 08:55 AM
Snakum
Cruiser

Hey ... that's a pretty cool trick. This weekend (in the 30s early mornings in Western NC) I rediscovered my old habit of taking turns holding my fingers/knuckles against the jugs or the rocker boxes while tooling down the road. I can go back and forth like this to keep my dick-skinners warmtill I need to stop for gas (about 130 miles). I knew that big, hot 96 inch motor would come in handy.

However ... those wind deflectors would be a lot more practical. Thanks for the link.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:48 AM
Marksman
Road Captain

While you are looking. Check out the Plexifaring at National Cycle. I'm in Michigan and its getting cold. I try to ride thru the winter as much as possible. I have a quick release windshield, but my hands freeze. I added the Plexifaring. Huge difference. Its not the best looking but IMHO its worth the "ugly factor" As soon as weather breaks it will come off. Since it is kinda universal, it took several fittings before I was happy with the way it was on the bike. Not only does it cover your hands, it goes down the forks to almost the fender.
PS got it on line cheaper than the National site. About $165.

Old 11-05-2007, 03:50 PM
Black Bob
Cruiser

Good thing they're detachable. Sorry Doug, couldn't resist..oh well, anything that extends the riding season...

Old 11-05-2007, 04:06 PM
Sal C
Cruiser

I'm in AZ, but, believe it or not, it does get cold in the AM going to work....Ambient temp 42 degrees...Add 60 MPH for 20 minutes...cold. I treid heated grips..good for the palms, did s**t for the fingers; so I got heated gloves (took off the heated grips). The gloves worked OK, but I still needed more heat for my fingers. The other day, I tried a pair of silk gloves (all right guys..go ahead and laugh) and my heated gloves and that was good. I'm a medical worker and when I get to work, I give injections to people in their veins, and they don't like it when I can't feel stuff with my fingers !!
I like those deflectors....I may have to go that way if I need...as long as I have room in my saddlebags for them when I go home in the Afternoon. I wanna ride year round, but be comfy.

Old 11-05-2007, 06:32 PM
DougsDyna
Banned

ORIGINAL: Sal C

I'm in AZ, but, believe it or not, it does get cold in the AM going to work....Ambient temp 42 degrees...Add 60 MPH for 20 minutes...cold. I treid heated grips..good for the palms, did s**t for the fingers; so I got heated gloves (took off the heated grips). The gloves worked OK, but I still needed more heat for my fingers. The other day, I tried a pair of silk gloves (all right guys..go ahead and laugh) and my heated gloves and that was good. I'm a medical worker and when I get to work, I give injections to people in their veins, and they don't like it when I can't feel stuff with my fingers !!
I like those deflectors....I may have to go that way if I need...as long as I have room in my saddlebags for them when I go home in the Afternoon. I wanna ride year round, but be comfy.
A lot of old riders swear by silk glove liners.
I use every aid at my desposal to keep my skinny hands warm.
Heated grips are very helpful
Heated gloves/ liners a must (IMO)
Heated jacket liner for the chest, neck, arms, and back.

Doesn't seem to matter how warm a glove I get, the heated liners and grips really keep my hands toasty warm.

DougJ

Old 11-06-2007, 03:24 PM
Sal C
Cruiser

you calling me an old rider dougsdyna?? Sheesh, I'm only 56