Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4000 rpm startup and erratic idle while riding

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 10:21 AM
wheeliesfxd
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4000 rpm startup and erratic idle while riding

When I start my bike either cold or hot it immediately shoots to 4000 rpm! If I rap the throttle a few times it will come down slowly. While riding, it will not drop lower than 1800 rpm and can get back up to 3000 rpm easily. If i let it sit and rev high it will uasually drop back down to normal idle after about a minute.

I have an '08 dyna with 103" stage 3. I have replaced my stock guages with autometer procycle tach and speedo. Right from new the speedo has never worked. im using a PCIII for tuning. I was using a Direct Link tuner before the PCIII and it did the same thing.I have already replaced the IAC motor as well as the ETS.

The tach, speedo, and idiot lights are all in one connector in my neck so I unplugged it to see if it was the speedo that was causing the idle issue. It only revs to 4000 on start up 50% of time now and also has a lower idle while riding although still around 1200-1500.

Im tired of spending money on parts and dyno runs so can anybody tell me if they've seen this before? Sorry for long post but wanted to give as much info to help out.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:28 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Dyno runs aren't going to cure a possible electrical issue. lol

Did the problem start after the install of the 103 stg3? Did a dealer do it? What was their position on the unintended revving?

Does your throttle stick?

Is it possible that with the 103" stg 3, you got the sert and the two devices are conflicting with each other?

Maybe get your ecm reflashed to stock then reconnect the pcIII.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:55 PM
wheeliesfxd
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input... I have tried to reset the ECM but am unsure of the proper way to do so. Last night I unplugged the battery and left it till morning and the bike started nice nso i am assuming that did reset it. The bike still wanted to rev a little high at first and then it seemed that the longer I rode it the worse the bike got. By about the 10th time I started it it did a 4000 start again. UGH!!

I ordered an electrical diagnostic manual for the bike so in a couple days Ill have that and I will go after the electrical issue.