Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXDL Belt adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 07:23 AM
terrysillik
Advanced
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default FXDL Belt adjustment

Don't have a belt guage, so what is a easy adjustment for drive belt? Just so much deflection over belt length? Terry

Old 06-24-2011, 02:12 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Terry, this is covered thoroughly in your service manual.

Old 06-24-2011, 02:57 PM
cornishman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should be able to turn the belt to approx 45 degrees in the middle of the bottom run of the belt, this is with the belt held between the thumb and fore finger with moderate pressure. I read this on the forum and have used it when changing tyres etc . Its not an exact science but works for me.

Old 06-24-2011, 03:04 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

+1 cornishman got that right, that's how I do it, it isn't rocket science, don't need a gauge. If it's too tight or loose, 1/8-1/4 turns equal adjustment will do.

P.S. Please ignore lo-rider, no matter what you ask in this forum, he will say RTFM. We are all stupid, aren't we?

Originally Posted by cornishman
You should be able to turn the belt to approx 45 degrees in the middle of the bottom run of the belt, this is with the belt held between the thumb and fore finger with moderate pressure. I read this on the forum and have used it when changing tyres etc . Its not an exact science but works for me.

Old 06-24-2011, 04:49 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

The method mentioned about the 45 works damn good.
After you adjust, take her for a ride, if you hear any chirping you are too loose.

Old 06-24-2011, 05:03 PM
cornishman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know this is one of the great things about this forum. Little nuggets of info passed down the line.

Old 06-24-2011, 05:17 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by cornishman
You know this is one of the great things about this forum. Little nuggets of info passed down the line.
Just remember one thing...Free advice is sometimes worth less than what you pay for it....

Old 06-24-2011, 06:44 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 128auto
...Please ignore lo-rider, no matter what you ask in this forum, he will say RTFM. We are all stupid, aren't we?
Must be some immature macho thing...working on your bike w/ your head up your a$$. Or maybe it's a poverty thing. Or just laziness. I dunno. But it always seems to be the same dummies asking how to fix $hit they screwed up because they didn't know what the hell they were doing, from the very beginning.

The owners manual contains the answers to most of the silly technical questions posted here. The service and parts manuals, most of the rest. Even those w/ reading handicaps can figure it out--there are lots of pics.

Old 06-24-2011, 07:01 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by lo-rider
Must be some immature macho thing...working on your bike w/ your head up your a$$. Or maybe it's a poverty thing. Or just laziness. I dunno. But it always seems to be the same dummies asking how to fix $hit they screwed up because they didn't know what the hell they were doing, from the very beginning.

The owners manual contains the answers to most of the silly technical questions posted here. The service and parts manuals, most of the rest. Even those w/ reading handicaps can figure it out--there are lots of pics.
Well, some of us are capable of reading what the OP actually asked, which in this case he clearly stated he did not have the primary tool the manual calls for to adjust belt deflection. So how do you know he doesn't have a manual? Oh that's right...Many years of experience...Save it.

Last edited by 8541hog; 06-24-2011 at 07:28 PM.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:13 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Mr. lo-rider, people are here to share ideas and help each other, there is a lot of goodies in this forum not covered in the owners and repair manuals. There is no such thing as dumb question, knowing everything doesn't make you a smart *** either, you probably learn from someone else. For people that don't know, they are learning everyday, we all do, don't we? No offence or insulting here, no worries this is my last reply to you, I will not jump into your thread anymore. ~PEACE~

Nuff said, note taken and amen.

Quick Reply: FXDL Belt adjustment