Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Consumtion - Top Off

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 06:34 PM
tonygret
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Consumtion - Top Off

I have a 2009 Dyna all stock purchased new in 2009. I have had the first service at 1K and now have 4300 miles. I checked the oil this weekend after a few "high spirited" runs in the last few weeks. The level was down to the "Add" mark. I added a full quart and it is now near the full mark.

I am wondering if this is considered normal oil consumption. It works out to about 1/3 of a quart per 1100 miles. That of course assumes that it was at the full mark after the service which is something I do not know.

Any input would be appreciated.

Old 07-18-2011, 06:40 PM
HRK123
Cruiser

That's about what mine does, right at the "add" mark every 1200 miles or so. Don't know if it's normal though.

Old 07-18-2011, 06:41 PM
WG2011
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I am thinking you got jipped out of a quart of oil, unless you have a leak somewhere it should not be burning any oil let alone a full quart. I would keep a close eye on that and if there is no issues I would have a few words with whatever shop did the 1k service. Also checking it when its cold vs hot will also make a difference you may not have been low and just added to much oil in now. If its checked cold it will read low which is normal.

Last edited by WG2011; 07-18-2011 at 06:45 PM.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:10 PM
DonN
Road Warrior
Received 207 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by WG2011
I am thinking you got jipped out of a quart of oil, unless you have a leak somewhere it should not be burning any oil let alone a full quart. I would keep a close eye on that and if there is no issues I would have a few words with whatever shop did the 1k service. Also checking it when its cold vs hot will also make a difference you may not have been low and just added to much oil in now. If its checked cold it will read low which is normal.

+1. Did your oil light not come on? 1 full quart is way too much to add and the oil light to work. I had to top up after about 2k, but only about a 1/4 of a quart and the oil light flickered on, it was just at the add mark. I would recheck to make sure you did not overfill. Mine is a 2007 fxdc and I have about 20k miles on the motor.

Old 07-28-2011, 04:47 PM
2011BlackDyna
Novice

10 days late on this thread but found it by searching. My new Dyna has 1K on it at this point and it has used about a quarter of a quart in that mileage ASSUMING it was full when I bought it. Checked it at 600 miles and it was about 1/8 qt low. Just checked it again and also about 1/8 qt low. It has been really hot and I'm sure the original oil is working really hard. It will get synthetic at the 1K service this Tues and then we'll see how that goes. Doesn't seem too abnormal for a new engine. My 07 1200 Sportster didn't use any oil once it was broken in.

Old 07-28-2011, 05:02 PM
silvrbill
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by DonN
+1. Did your oil light not come on? 1 full quart is way too much to add and the oil light not to work.
Oil light senses oil pressure, not oil level.

Old 07-28-2011, 05:40 PM
JHL-ShinySideUp
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by DonN
+1. Did your oil light not come on? 1 full quart is way too much to add and the oil light to work. I had to top up after about 2k, but only about a 1/4 of a quart and the oil light flickered on, it was just at the add mark. I would recheck to make sure you did not overfill. Mine is a 2007 fxdc and I have about 20k miles on the motor.
That reminds me - I need to ask my mechanic why my oil light didn't come on. I hadn't checked it in 2800 miles, and it was all but bone dry.

And I DID check it after the last service, after reading some of the horror stories on here about "services" without oil and with loose bolts.

Old 09-16-2011, 07:10 PM
tonygret
Tourer

First sorry about the misspelling of "Oil Consumption" in the subject of the thread.

So I took it into the dealer today. The first thing they mention is that I added pipes and A/C and I need a factory cert. I already downloaded a Powervision tune and the bike runs fine. I only did that a few weeks ago. They mentioned that they called the factory and the factory told them that 1 qt of oil every 4000 miles is normal consumption. The call led me to believe they were more interested in the mods on the bike that may void areas of the warranty than the oil consumption issue.

So the bottom line is they told me "We have it documented, but we checked everything and there is no obvious reason for the oil consumption issue". My factory warranty expires in 30 days. The bike runs great and other than the oil issues there are no problems. I guess there isn't much more I can do but wait and see.

Any opinions?

Old 09-16-2011, 07:24 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,127 Likes on 1,921 Posts

I hope everyone is checking oil levels by using the proper method as per the owners manual. Many just stick it and may be getting false readings.

Old 09-16-2011, 07:33 PM
tonygret
Tourer

Originally Posted by perki48
I hope everyone is checking oil levels by using the proper method as per the owners manual. Many just stick it and may be getting false readings.

Here is my problem with the "proper method". If you check the oil hot or cold or warm, it will show up as a level somewhere in the stick. As long as you check it the same way every time, it is all relative. If it goes down it goes down. If at some point between oil changes it goes down a full quart when checking it cold, it still has gone down a full quart. The oil went somewhere, it didn't shrink.

That being said, I did check it properly.

Quick Reply: Oil Consumtion - Top Off