Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems registering imported bike to USA from Dubai

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 09:35 PM
Carolina fatbob
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems registering imported bike to USA from Dubai

Hello everyone.
This is my first post here.
I purchased a Harley Fatbob 2010 model from Harley Dubai in the UAE over one year ago.
My contract ended 2 months ago and I returned to the USA.
Could not even think about selling or leaving the bike behind.
So I shipped it here.
Bike arrived and cleared customs the normal way,,have it at my home now.
Problem began when I tried to register it here in South carolina.
Traffic or highway department said I needed whats called a MSO or MCO.
I contacted the head Harley office here in the USA, faxed the bill of sale and old registration to prove I own the bike Vin Number even where I had it registered in the UAE and was sent an Email from Harley saying my bike does not meet USA specifications and this paper will not be provided by Harley.
When Harley Dubai packed and crated this bike for me even arranged the shipping they said it would never be a problem as they have done this many times before to the USA.
I am really shocked and disappointed in the lack of support from Harley here in the USA concerning this issue.
Has anyone here done this before?
Any advice or guidance would be really appreciated.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:48 PM
neocontra
Banned

Harley flat out told you the bike does not meet USA specs...so they can't give you the paperwork you asked for from them. It's not that they won't give you support, it's that law prohibits them from it.

What you need to do (and the obvious thing to do) is call the Harley dealer in Dubai and ask them what the f_ck is going on.

Tell them if they don't get off their asses and fix it now, you'll fly back there and cave their faces in, because what's another $1000 lost on 20 grand.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:54 PM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Brought it in with your household goods didn't you? It's not HD's fault, you have a non compliant model regardless of whether it was made here.............it is up to YOU to bring a non compliant vehicle into compliance or export it. You can't just bring a vehicle in and then expect to register it without the proper documents from US Customs - without that stamp you are going nowhere fast.

Importing a Motor Vehicle

Old 09-19-2011, 09:57 PM
neocontra
Banned

Harley does not support terrorism.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:59 PM
Carolina fatbob
Novice

Originally Posted by neocontra
Harley flat out told you the bike does not meet USA specs...so they can't give you the paperwork you asked for from them. It's not that they won't give you support, it's that law prohibits them from it.

What you need to do (and the obvious thing to do) is call the Harley dealer in Dubai and ask them what the f_ck is going on.

Tell them if they don't get off their asses and fix it now, you'll fly back there and cave their faces in, because what's another $1000 lost on 20 grand.
Actually harley Dubai charged me 1,530. usd for crating and shipping,,was told this was door to door,,when I picked the bike up at the freight forwarder in Charleston, South Carolina I was presented with an additional bill of 930. usd
I paid this and considered it a lesson learned,,thought that was the end of it,,now the nightmare gets worse as I have a bike that I cannot even register, trusted harley dubai but now not feeling so good about this.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:01 PM
neocontra
Banned

Originally Posted by Carolina fatbob
Actually harley Dubai charged me 1,530. usd for crating and shipping,,was told this was door to door,,when I picked the bike up at the freight forwarder in Charleston, South Carolina I was presented with an additional bill of 930. usd
I paid this and considered it a lesson learned,,thought that was the end of it,,now the nightmare gets worse as I have a bike that I cannot even register, trusted harley dubai but now not feeling so good about this.
Harley does not support motorcycles purchased from terrorists.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:19 PM
Carolina fatbob
Novice

I am an airline fight crew,,also retired USAF.
Kind of doubt if anyone would put me in that catagory.
For an American expat that spent 4 months of my salary buying this bike in a place that I really did not like, expected more support than what I received from harley davidson.
If they had told me I would experienced problems like this I would have never shipped the bike home.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:23 PM
neocontra
Banned

Originally Posted by Carolina fatbob
I am an airline fight crew,,also retired USAF.
Kind of doubt if anyone would put me in that catagory.
For an American expat that spent 4 months of my salary buying this bike in a place that I really did not like, expected more support than what I received from harley davidson.
If they had told me I would experienced problems like this I would have never shipped the bike home.
All joking aside..thank you for your service.

In all seriousness it sounds like the dealership in Dubai made a mistake that they need to work with you to rectify. Also, p51bombay gave good info on where to start with this...

The MoCo can't really do anything for you. They can only build and ship bikes to the countries they are supposed to go to. They can't really do anything for people importing their motorcycles.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:31 PM
Carolina fatbob
Novice

Originally Posted by p51bombay
Brought it in with your household goods didn't you? It's not HD's fault, you have a non compliant model regardless of whether it was made here.............it is up to YOU to bring a non compliant vehicle into compliance or export it. You can't just bring a vehicle in and then expect to register it without the proper documents from US Customs - without that stamp you are going nowhere fast.

Importing a Motor Vehicle
actually this is the only thing I shipped back and it cleared US customs.
yes harley dubai is the one that started this with yes its Ok,,no problem etc.
Anything to get your money, way of life with these ones.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:34 PM
Havoc7
Intermediate
Default What's the difference?

Should be possible to upgrade whatever sub US standard equipment is on the bike. I remember a lot of Army buddies buying european cars and shipping them back and having to upgrade the glass and some of the wiring. Anyone know what may be the issue on the bike?

Quick Reply: Problems registering imported bike to USA from Dubai