Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Dyna Glide Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models-9/)
-   -   Bike won't start - fuel injection problem? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models/697490-bike-wont-start-fuel-injection-problem.html)

Crash Davis 10-11-2011 07:01 PM

Bike won't start - fuel injection problem?

I have a 2007 Street Bob with ~sigh~ only 7500 miles. Last weekend the weather was beautiful and I was going to get some miles on the scoot, but it wouldn't start. When I turn on the ignition and flip the switch to run, I don't hear the usual whine of the fuel pump.

The usual lights come on and the bike turns over strong, but won't start. I figure it's because it is not getting any fuel. I'm really hoping there is an easy solution, and I don't have to replace the pump. I checked my fuses and they all look fine. I replaced the fuse for the EFI with the spare just to be sure, but it didn't make a difference. (And yes, I have the start switch in the 'run' position!)

I searched the forums, figuring someone else had to have the same problem but no luck. Is there anything else I should be checking, or do I have to suck it up and get my bike to the dealer?

soft 02 10-11-2011 07:04 PM

Fob battery?

ilovemyskidoo 10-11-2011 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by soft 02 (Post 8921855)
Fob battery?

if it was the fob battery the alarm would go off as soon as you turned the key to run

crash davis deff. sounds like issue with fuel pump if your not hearing it turn on weather that be bad pump, blown fuse, loose / undone connector

Crash Davis 10-11-2011 08:56 PM

Thanks, sort of what I was thinking. I don't have a security system, so the FOB is not the issue. I need to get a manual for my bike, that would help check for the loose or undone connector.

SteveO-ll 10-11-2011 09:23 PM

Have you looked at the crankshaft position sensor, that signals the ECM.

Shredding rubber 10-11-2011 09:26 PM

My 08 street bob is same. Turn key,listen to the whine of the fuel pump priming,start bike. If you don't get the sound of the pump priming either it's not getting power or it's pooched.

1CdnHD 10-11-2011 09:48 PM

As was mentioned, the crank sensor is the only sensor that, if faulty, will not allow a bike to run. However, even with a bad crank sensor, the bike should still 'prime' when you turn ignition on and switch to the run position. ( if it doesn't, I'd look for power to the pump ).

The ECM needs to get a signal from the crank sensor that the engine is rotating in order to continue to provide power to the fuel system. So if you can hear it prime, but while cranking, you can't hear the pump working, I'd look at the crank sensor.

OldEnuf2NoBtr 10-11-2011 10:36 PM

Don't trust your gas gauge on a 5 year old scoot.

nevil 10-12-2011 12:17 PM

Did you check to see if it threw any codes?

robertj74 10-12-2011 12:57 PM

There are two micro-relays in your electrical center,a gray and a black-one is called the system relay,it controls the fuel pump,among other things. The other is the starter relay. I can't off the top of my head remember which is which.
My bike was not starting at one time(no fuel pump whine with key/ign. on),check those relays, I took my system relay apart & it was full of green corrosion. Replaced it and all is fine-about a six dollar fix.
I am thinking the system relay is the gray one-but I could be wrong.