Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Switchback vibration

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 06:45 AM
odie-in-az
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My baffle broke loose too and had to have the dealer replace it with a new one. I took tpmcd's advise and I replaced the muffler support bolt with a clevis pin, two washers, a rubber washer in between the bracket and muffler, and there are no more vibes to be had. I can see clearly out of my mirrors at any speed. I also shimmed my front motor mount with one washer to create the .020 to .040 gap that is required on all dynas.
I know harley's vibrate, this is my fourth one, but it should not cause your baffle to break inside the muffler. Just like Mark98012 posted about the stress on the bike from the vibration, my baffle was the one thing that gave. If you mount the muffler to a fixed object, and the whole engine bounces around, then sooner or later something is gonna give. The clevis pin allows my muffler to stay secure but allows the slightest play to eliminate the paint shaker vibes.
The FLD is not a bike to run away from. I love mine, and now I love it even more that the vibe issue is solved. The exhaust assembly just a **** poor design that hopefully HD will address.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:00 AM
ezmo
Cruiser

Is it really so that mufflers are attached to the frame, not the engine/transmission? If so, thats riduclous from MoCo.....

Old 10-23-2012, 09:31 PM
mruffell
3rd Gear

Its clear to me that the after market pipe manufactures know their stuff. They have superb engineering quality, and they focus on pipe testing exclusively. Its also clear to me Harley makes good, not great pipes, and unfortunately the new switchback 2-1 pipe/mount was not well engineered.

Solution: HD should acquire a pipe company (or two). They have the cash, all HD models would benefit.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:01 AM
Mark98012
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think that V&H MAY have found the solution (at least for the Power Duals). I'd like krash to chime in when he gets a chance on his opinion.

Old 10-25-2012, 12:00 PM
Krash26
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

It seems that HD didn't know what the hell they were doing when that designed that 2 into 1 for the SB. I don't have the vibration problem but that cat is sooo friggin' hot, it could melt your boot! And the sound sucks, which I've bitched about before. So, aftermarket exhaust options...I've had rush slipons on my lowrider and those sounded sooo good, I've had cobra pipes on other bikes and they sounded great too. But, for me, V&H is really overpriced and I don't like the sound from those. I like the idea of the true duals, but who's got 1200 bucks??!! So, tryin' to keep cost down and sound quality high, I'm going with the Samson Legend street sweepers. That's about 600 bucks and I love the low rumble of those. Still haven't ordered them yet...but that should be next month. Bike is off the road anyway, so I'm hopin' to get those mounted with little trouble.

Old 10-26-2012, 01:06 PM
mrnone
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

vibrations have broken my original pipe with less than 1500 miles on it and broken my nightstick off clean at the weld.
spent two weeks at the dealer getting a second regulator.
they told me they fixed the vibes, that there was an issue they resolved
so the emblem rattled out of the hd handlebar mount speaker on the way home.
twice as bad as it was.
they put the BROKEN stock muffler back on it.
they threw away part of my broken nightstick so I can't take it back where I got it and bitch
long and short of it after two switchbacks with 10k on the clock each
lot of work to get what I consider basic riding necessities all being over priced HD products.
I am dumping my fld and looking hard for an evo powered FXRD FXRP FXRS FXRT FXRDG FXRP FXR2 FXR3 FXR4
the thrill is gone
buying an fld involves a lot of complaining and taking it back to the dealer to wait for more phone calls. I am not built to do this.
I fix **** in the parking lot where I found the new part
my dealer looked like he felt terrible for me yesterday and offered me a new exhaust system or to take the bike in consignment and get another one basically what ever I want to do...
good guy, great intentions been real solid with me for years
but I have to look at the future of the bike after the warranty and it looks sh!tty at best
short of rebuilding everything with aftermarket parts when they become available
and carrying a voltage regulator everywhere you go this bike won't work for me
if you just want to admire the thing and wipe it off once in a while it's a great bike
but for commuting to work in the real world with potholes and shitty weather
not a good bike for the job.
I am getting an old mechanical bike actually two and that will be my warranty
if one won't get it, ride the other one
got an FXR?
lmk
I got cash and I know what I want.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:29 AM
Krash26
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Mrnone, sorry you're going thru this crap with the SB...I've read the problems that so many SB owners are having with the exhaust and the vibration and other sh*t. I've either been really lucky with my used one or the "bottom" is going fall out real soon with my bike!

Hopefully, your next one won't be a pain the *ss...

Old 11-01-2012, 12:03 PM
Woz10
Cruiser

I had to have the regulator replace don mine about 2 weeks after I bought it ... besides that not a single problem with it. I love it and think they made one hell of a bike.

Sounds like you got a lemon mrnone... that happens with everything that is mass produced.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:41 PM
DynaVibeMaster
Stage II

Well, new member here and wanted share experiences with a newly purchased '13 FLD. Unfortunately its vibrations are exactly what led me to this thread via searching for obnoxious vibrations in the 2700-3100 rpm range. All I can say is wow. It feels like the engine is bolted straight to the frame, and the frame is hitting me in the hands, butt, and feet. Or, perhaps there is a new vibration enhancement program. Dunno. It really is bad under load and at highway speeds. Also, something has started rattling inside the muffler (definitely not loose heat shields). The TSB was completed with no reduction in the vibration/shaking, though it was noted that there was a loose engine mount. It's now back at the dealership for round two. Kudos to the dealership for trying to fix it.

I know there has been some back and forth regarding normal Dyna vibes and such. Let me say I've owned an '01 Sportster (rigid engine mount), an '02 Dyna, and an '07 Sportster prior to this FLD. I've also driven other folks' rubber mounts. None of them ever felt anywhere near as bad as this one, not even close. It is definitely out of whack. I'm hoping that another round of TSB and possibly some replacement exhaust parts may be the solution.

Like the bike otherwise, great packaging, handling, and feel. And again, the dealer is trying.

Old 11-14-2012, 02:27 PM
jam436
Supporter
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mrnone
I got cash and I know what I want.
I finally fixed all of my FLD problems.
I traded it in for a Softail Slim last week...

Last edited by jam436; 11-14-2012 at 02:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Switchback vibration