Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Switchback vibration

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 12:38 PM
FBinSoCal
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by thegrants82
Probably not but if its something weird then 5 years from now people will say "stay away from the 12 switchbacks" like they now say "stay away from the 06 Bobs" Risk you take when you buy the first year of a new model....especially with HD where the public doubles as the R&D department. It's a fact that HD first year models have a terrible track record. First year Evo's, first year Low Rider, first year V-Rod, the 06 Bob..........those are the only big ones that I can think of without googling.
Yep, that's the risk, same on anything newly engineered like: cars, bikes, boats, trucks, etc. Not only that, what we have newly engineered on the FLD is a totally new rear shock and I think that cartridge system in the front fork is also new, but may be wrong on that one. A lot of new geometry too with the new weight class, front end and displacement. So...all these vibration comments could very well be all for real. I kept stressing the rpm issue because that's what cured mine. Either way, they will correct it on their dime if it's the design, eventually. Class action lawsuit dialog, is a dirty word to all manufacturers.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:46 PM
FBinSoCal
Road Warrior

[quote=1HD1C;9244647]this is my usual range also, 2300-2500 is right around 65 to 70mph
but as i said, i hit 200 miles of babying this past weekend so i ran it up to 3k in 6th gear and while at a steady 3k on the highway which was right around 80mph for about 3 miles i had a non stop vibration through the whole bike, this will definitely be disconcerting/uncomfortable on a long trip.

the claims of the problem being with the 2-1 factory pipe has come from
a lot of internet searching and found on multiple sites and this is why i had asked if anyone experienced the vibrations and then they went away with a slip on change.

My reply: Interesting you ask that. Mine actually went away the day i took it home with that first bassani full system. I didn't put two and two together though because it was coincidental that was also the first day I wanted to keep it @ 3000rpm's because it was running so damn better than before the pipe change out. I attributed it to the increased rpm's mostly. I still don't know if it wasn't coincidental however. right now I'm running the stock headers and a slip on and no vibes either...see what I'm saying?

Old 01-11-2012, 12:55 PM
1HD1C
Stellar HDF Member
Received 180 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by jamman
One of my riding buds bought a 2012 wide glide right after I did and yesterday, he checked his at rpm levels and gears to compare, says his his like butter all the way to a 100
same engine and basically same frame so i would think that lends credance to the 2-1 exhaust as the possible cause....

Old 01-11-2012, 01:02 PM
FBinSoCal
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by 1HD1C
same engine and basically same frame so i would think that lends credance to the 2-1 exhaust as the possible cause....
...totally different suspension front and back to a WG, not apples to apples. I'd be really surprised if it's an exhaust mount as the culprit. time will tell.

Old 01-11-2012, 03:39 PM
jamman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its the floor boards... ;0) i just read it on the internet... Just kidding, thought i'd throw it out there.. lol

i believe its mount big *** pipe related, still love my bike though..

Old 01-11-2012, 05:50 PM
FBinSoCal
Road Warrior

its the floor boards... ;0) i just read it on the internet... Just kidding, thought i'd throw it out there.. lol

i believe its mount big *** pipe related, still love my bike though..
LOL floorboards! why didn't i think of that? (slapping own forehead and doing best james cagney impression "yeah yous mugz, yeah" ) lol

That pipe mount notion is illogical to me but I'm no wrench or claim to be. In my mind though, to have a pipe or pipe mount cause a vibration would be like the tail waggin the dog. It's mounted to the frame. My bet is the motor mount issue that someone shared earlier on this thread or in your case, maybe a tweaked frame because you have it all the time and you have already had it checked out to no avail. They would have checked the motor mounts I would assume.

Last edited by FBinSoCal; 01-11-2012 at 05:53 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:02 PM
SwitchHD
Road Captain
Default Good Vibrations

Originally Posted by cecharles
I did just get out for a short ride and part of it was on the freeway. I accelerated up to 80+ with no vibration and most of the ride was at 45 mph, no issues either. You guys can see what mods are done on my bike and I don't know if that's related but just trying to help. I'm wondering if part of the problem is the extra torque on the rubber engine mounts.
I've noticed a consistent, subtle vibration but just chalked it up to the "Dyna Vibes." Sounds like exhaust mods may have an impact. I've had my 103 up to about 80 mph but in a commuting situation-- I can see how this vibration would be a prob for someone wanting a true tourer. But, then, if I wanted a true tourer, I would have purchased a full touring model. I'll be interested this thread's replies.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:36 PM
jamman
Road Master

Originally Posted by FBinSoCal
LOL floorboards! why didn't i think of that? (slapping own forehead and doing best james cagney impression "yeah yous mugz, yeah" ) lol

That pipe mount notion is illogical to me but I'm no wrench or claim to be. In my mind though, to have a pipe or pipe mount cause a vibration would be like the tail waggin the dog. It's mounted to the frame. My bet is the motor mount issue that someone shared earlier on this thread or in your case, maybe a tweaked frame because you have it all the time and you have already had it checked out to no avail. They would have checked the motor mounts I would assume.
hey bud, pipe mounts only to the motor, as all dynas, and they never went beyond the leaking oil pump o ring for the vibes, I'm sure the tech never went 80, i've talked to them , and they will look at it..
Wheres Mr. none?

Old 01-11-2012, 06:55 PM
UltraSteveUSAF
Road Master
Received 104 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by FBinSoCal
Steve, I don't even shift to 6th until at least 75, more like 80. Most of the time, I'm in 5th on the freeways and 3k rpm +/- pocket is where I stay most of the time. Man, you guys have really put some miles on. Now, I've had a few weeks (maybe 3 1/2) in the shops with all the mods, but I don't think I have over 2200 on mine and I bought mine in aug. as well. I'm laggin, I guess. Not to be confused with luggin...lol
So what kinda mileage do you get riding in 5th gear @ that speed? The manual says I'm doing it right. So I sometimes shift @ 2000 rpm's On the interstate I'm always in sixth.

Love the bike. My dealer says the long pipe is similar to the WG style and they had some problems with them. My bike is the first one in for a broken bolt though. There saying that there is a lot of weight on the bolt pattern. Thinking of upping the grade of bolt on mine to see if it makes any difference. I've kinda told them do what they want, especially if it will help someone else.

Yeah your not riding enough. California is year round turn off the computer and get out there!!!!!

Old 01-12-2012, 11:32 AM
FBinSoCal
Road Warrior

hey bud, pipe mounts only to the motor, as all dynas, and they never went beyond the leaking oil pump o ring for the vibes, I'm sure the tech never went 80, i've talked to them , and they will look at it..
Wheres Mr. none?
Mounts to the the frame at the slipon too. Big ol newly designed bracket there to hold that on.

Mrnone was told he couldn't talk any mods without being a sponsor. so I think he was insulted/disgusted and baled. I'm not sure of what all transpired. That's really unfortunate for the forum, he was posting VERY good info for everyone's use. All he was posting (as far as I know) was the private work he was doing for me. I see lots and lots of guys doing that and I thought that was what this forum was for. I personally, don't get it. I have his mail if you need it, pm me.

Quick Reply: Switchback vibration