Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No brake light function on my Dyna Low Rider

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 03:12 PM
cbo111
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No brake light function on my Dyna Low Rider

The taillight works on my 03 Lowrider, but when I depress front or back brake, there is no indication on the taillight. Is it a switch issue? Any troubleshooting suggestions?
thanks, chuck

Old 01-20-2012, 03:30 PM
iDodgimus
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

unlikely a switch issue if both front and rear don't work (although it could be two switch issues)

i'd check the bulb first, then the socket, then the wiring

Old 01-20-2012, 03:38 PM
The Deer Hunter
1st Gear

A lot of times when the rear brake switch goes bad it keeps the brake light on all the time so it seems like the brake isn't coming on. Disconnect the wires to the rear brake switch and recheck using the front brake.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:43 PM
Austin Dave
Road Master

simplest thing is to check the bulb for continuity. once you confirm the bulb is good, then check for wiring problem from the two switches. the front hand-brake and the rear foot-brake each have a switch. at the tail lamp terminals, with the key ON, you should have 12v when either brake is engaged between the Blk #4 and the R/Y #3. no power....check fuses.

Old 01-20-2012, 04:29 PM
cbo111
Novice
Default thanks

Thanks for the quick replies guys!
Chuck

Old 01-20-2012, 04:32 PM
Roadrider18
Tourer

I am not familiar if the '03 wiring is plug-n-play in the taillight assembly.....

But, if you have the plugs in the assembly, you may need to refresh the dielectric grease. Especially if it hasn't been refreshed in 9 years, you might have corrosion leading to a short. If you find corrosion, take an emery stick and lightly sand the area. Give the connections a healthy dose of dielectric grease. This are is exposed to the elements with the holes in the tin.

You can get dielectric grease at Radio Shak or any electrical supply store.

Old 01-21-2012, 05:05 PM
cbo111
Novice
Default Led?

Well I took off the taillight and found the brake light was actually an LED. It does not have any brand name on it. I'm the third owner of this bike and the maintenance is not well documented. I tried disconnecting the back brake wires. Pulled the front brake and still no change. The LED is illuminated but does not change when I pull the brake handle. the socket appears clean so I don't think its a contact issue. Should I just try to buy a regular bulb and see if it works?
Also, I pulled the seat off and noticed a wire harness that was not attacheded to anything. This may be unrelated, but I'm curious what it is for.

Old 01-21-2012, 05:21 PM
Robbie13
LOSER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You shold have a seperate wire/contact just for the brake element. Check for 12V there. If not work your way back.

Old 01-21-2012, 05:34 PM
Shovelhed
Tourer

I had this problem once and it turned out to be a dirty plunger. WD40 fixed it. Just a thought before you tear into things...

Old 01-21-2012, 10:23 PM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

one more thought. While you are disconnecting your rear wiring you might run your wires through a small diameter fuel line and then reattach them under the fender. I used to break wires under my rear fender all the time (I did run shorter shocks however) . When my indy mechanic ran the wires through some small fuel line no more broken wires . Just in case you might be having troubles with occasional broken wires.

Quick Reply: No brake light function on my Dyna Low Rider