Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Change one thing...means you need to change 3 others

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 01:44 AM
HYPR
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Change one thing...means you need to change 3 others

Well I bought the wife a nice cushie Saddlemen Exployer (note I had already bought her a sissy bar and pad, removable for me when solo). Well wouldn't you know it, the sissy bar does not fit with that seat since the rear section is nice and large.
No issues, I figured that for sure I could fabricate something to work around it so I had planned on addressing it after I installed the new Cavalry Fiberglass bags. Well surprise, #1 the turnsignal relocation idea they have...well does not work on the Dyna. #2 the Harley detachable sissy bar will not allow you to open the saddlebags so it looks like I will be shopping for some other sissy bar design however so far all the ones I have found are chrome, not black. Took a look at the Kuryakakyn Plug and Play unit which mounts under the sear to the two mounting bolt holes so though it is not as simple as the HD unit it does come off with just two screws and I recently saw a knuraled **** that makes seat removal a tool-less deal so that is an idea but I am not sure if it will mount behind the Saddlemen Exployer seat.

Well back to the turnsignal issue, I sort of figured and had planned on changing out the OEM HD turn signals so I had bought a slim set of LED's and had planned on installing them in the bags so that's another change, however I hadn't planned on installing them until after I got the bags painted, oh well.
Bob

Last edited by HYPR; 05-17-2012 at 02:46 AM.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:48 AM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

It gets complicated, to the point your not riding sometimes, don't worry bro I hear ya! Good luck.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:43 AM
nhra1256
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I totally here you on change 1 thing and three others changes pop up...been there when installing a belt drive AC system on a buddys 32 ford coupe hotrod.. Keep at it, resell what you dont use, and stay in the wind!

I'm starting to buy parts for my fxdc and noticed you gotta research fit and function quite a bit before handing over the cash..

Old 05-17-2012, 09:06 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

I mounted my bags to the detachable unit, makes it easy on for the whole setup. Since you can fabricate, make your own turn signal tail setup.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:21 AM
Patman 13
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HYPR, got any pics of those bags mounted?!

Old 05-17-2012, 11:44 AM
HYPR
Road Master

Originally Posted by Patman 13
HYPR, got any pics of those bags mounted?!
I'll have photos by the weekend, still working on it with little time after work.

My son is fabricating a sissy bar mount similar to the Kuryakakyn Plug and Play unit with some improvements then I will paint it black and use the Sissy bar from my detachable and sell the brackets.

When I'm all done I will make the bags removeable like the FL's.
Regarding this whole experience, I don't know why I'm so surprised since I've been building Hot Rods and bikes for over 45 years. Never seems to surprise me when vendor products don't exactly fit as planned or presented by the vendors.
Bob

Last edited by HYPR; 05-17-2012 at 11:46 AM.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:23 AM
HYPR
Road Master

Originally Posted by HYPR
I'll have photos by the weekend, still working on it with little time after work.

My son is fabricating a sissy bar mount similar to the Kuryakakyn Plug and Play unit with some improvements then I will paint it black and use the Sissy bar from my detachable and sell the brackets.

Bob
Well I am so glad I didn't spend the $189 on the Kuryakakyn Plug and Play mount. When we got all finished fabricating up a clone of their unit out of even thicker steel it wobbled like crazy. Apparently having it set back so far behind the seat won't work so I am back to looking for a perminant mount that will work with the seat and my bags. Guess I will be selling my removeable or at least the mounting brackets if I can find a mount that will work.

Does anyone have some suggestions?

Meantime the stereo showed up so looks like I got work to do Saturday.
Bob