Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JRK5892's Fog Lamps & Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 06:08 PM
ResidentPirate
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JRK5892's Fog Lamps & Questions

So before I question bomb this thread, being that I'm new to the forum and the world of motorcycling in general, I should probably introduce myself! I've been riding for just under 6 months on my first bike, an '07 Street Bob:

I happen to live in a bit of a rural area, and I'm only about 20 minutes from work, so I've been fortunate enough to be able to ride ol' Betty on the daily, 90% of the time on 2-lane farm roads and hardly hittin the freeway (VERY lucky being that SoCal traffic is such a bitch...)

After about a month of 2-lane road practice and getting comfy on the bob, I started hittin' some of the amazing SoCal roads, one of which being Mulholland Hwy, which lends itself to the 5 or so enterprising photographers who spend their weekends taking pics of all the rides that pass them by. These were snapped by VictoryJon, just East of the Rock Store:

Now that I've formally introduced myself, on to the question at hand...

Originally Posted by JRK5892
Fog lights on bob
i ran the power line off the main power on the headlight,then tapped in a seperate switch... i like being able to turn them on and off at will as when i am riding with a group they are BLINDING if you are in front of me... a buddy of mine hit a deer early this summer that was just standing in the middle of the road, he said he could not see it... i have done fog lights, and driving lights like I have on almost every bike i ride with... we love them... being able to see is key when you are out on the bike! this is where i got my driving lights from...
Driving lights: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=
016&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=& amp;item=260112319854&rd=1,1
Aluminum Billet style 35 watt Chrome lights with hardware, Auxiliary lights, Driving lights for Car, Buggy, Motorcycle, SOLD IN PAIRS! Brand New. UNBOXED. 2 Per Order.

- before i had these on i had a set from walmart... they worked just as good just where not chrome they were black... i went to the hardwear section and got a T bracket at the base of the T i bolted that to the headlight support bolt under the tree, i then counter sunk the bolts on either side of the T to hold the fog lights and also added some 3m outdoor tape to just add a bit more support they worked out great! but then my brother got the chrome driving lights and i decided to do the same... i pulled my trees and just drilled and tapped them right into the bottom of the trees... used some super glue at the base of the bolts and lock tight at the top (this will allow them to hold true and not move with the vibration but still allows you to break them loose if you have to) the superglue and locktite trick throws people off alot but i have been doing it for years on Cafe's that i built... anything that shakes and rattles alot needs more than just locktite.

I love the look of these fog lights, and nearly went to make it happen this past weekend, but ended up with questions right out of the gate. JRK5892 did a great job here, and I'd love to reproduce what he's done. Perhaps he or someone else on the forum can enlighten me on a couple of issues:

JRK5892 mentioned that he used a T-Bracket, attached at the base of the T to the headlight bolt... I'm not terribly familiar with this type of stuff, and when I looked for a T bracket, I found flat brackets in a T shape with mounting holes . Could you maybe post a pic or describe what I should be looking for?

Also, the ebay link to the lights you used is understandably dead (5 years later...) - could you post a link for some that are similar to those you have used for this project in the past?

Lastly - I understand that you're tapping into the headlight for power on these bad boys, and I've read that there should be a free post inside the headlight that can be used to supply power to the fog lights. Is that what you've done, or did you actually tap the headlight power wire? Additionally, is there a spot inside the headlight to attach the ground wire? Final request - how did you run the wires into the headlight? I'd love to see a pic of what it looks like with the wires from the fog lights piped in there.

Lots of requests I know, and while I'm very new to the forum, I've been lurking for months and am very hopeful that you or another willing forum member will be able to give me the info I need to make this project happen!

Thank you to everyone on the forum, and more specifically this page, for sharing all of the knowledge you have on various topics - I learn something new every time I come here! What a great community of people... I'm stoked to become a part of it!

Thanks all!

Old 10-10-2012, 06:37 PM
xantasm
Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why don't you PM him since he has a shop, does killer custom work, would likely be more than happy to answer your questions and having seen a lot of his work he probably made the bracket in his shop rather than dig around trying to find one that would work. Could be a new product he could market if enough people want one.

I might be interested myself in an aluminum mounting block with ears or tabs for mounting accessory lights and a center hole that works with my stock headlight bolt or a longer one.

As far as the wiring yes there is a hot wire and ground wire in the headlight you can splice/tie into for power supply to accessory lights and they would then turn on and off with the headlight. I personally would recommend you put some quick disconnect terminals or bullet terminals inline somewhere so that you can remove them if needed without having to go into the headlight bucket as well as putting an inline fuse between the accessory lights and the headlight so if for any reason they short out they will not cause the headlamp to short out as well. If you want control of when the lights turn on and off separately of the headlight you would need to run a line to a toggle switch and a constant power source like the battery. A lot of accessory light kits come with a wiring harness to run them that way. Also as a secondary or auxiliary light I would recommend LED's if your going to tie into the headlamp as the power draw is minimal and greatly reduces the chances of overheating the power line to the headlight.

Last edited by xantasm; 10-10-2012 at 06:39 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:30 PM
Six16
Road Captain

What a superb looking bob. Welcome

Old 10-10-2012, 07:35 PM
Good_Apollo
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I saw your bike on ebay back when it was for sale. So sick

Old 10-11-2012, 09:38 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

no problem at all man!!! first as has been said really dig your scoot... for the fogs i used a T bar basicly a flat piece of metal in a T to attach the lamps on my wifes old bobber... on mine... i drilled and tapped the lower tree, then just bolted them in... i tapped off the headlight for power, and tucked an on off switch along the side of my battery box... if you have any questions at all let me know i have helped several people get their set up done

Old 10-11-2012, 10:18 AM
ResidentPirate
Cruiser

Thank you guys for the kind words on the bob! As Apollo said, the bike looks today as it did when it was listed on ebay - the only thing I've done is install a Cobra Powrpro (which made a world of difference, even if it did kill my mileage)

Originally Posted by JRK5892
no problem at all man!!! first as has been said really dig your scoot... for the fogs i used a T bar basicly a flat piece of metal in a T to attach the lamps on my wifes old bobber... on mine... i drilled and tapped the lower tree, then just bolted them in... i tapped off the headlight for power, and tucked an on off switch along the side of my battery box... if you have any questions at all let me know i have helped several people get their set up done

JRK5892 thank you for the close-ups and clarification, it definitely helps! I should be able to find some similar lights now that I see what you've used. You mentioned counter-sinking the bolts, is the purpose to get the bracket more flush with the trees? Also, did you pipe your fog light wires into the headlight in the same way that the stockers are run? I'm anxious to get going on this project, but I also want to make sure that I know where all of my wires are going. Sounds like a good idea to run a switch somewhere, I wouldn't want to blind my buds! Did you wire an inline fuse as previously suggested in this thread, and if not, have you had any problems drawing power from the headlight? Any pics you could provide that would give me some clarity on how you ran the wires would be an enormous help.

Thank you again for all your help brother!

Old 10-11-2012, 11:40 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

i wish i had more pics for you... but this set up was many moons ago for me and has since been changed... i had no problem tapping off the lamp, but doing so i did not have fogs when my brights where on because i did not jump it... if i was to do it all over again... and i did, i ran it off the battery using a relay... and yes i most def ran an inline fuse... i know it prob is not the best of help.. but here are some pics of how i did my sport touring fog lights... i run HID and fogs on this bike and used the relay... this is what i would recomend if you wire them in... on the mounts just drill a hole, and tap it, that is all you will need, i used some blue loc tite on them of course as well... if you bike is lowered you want to check your range of travel to be sure you do not bang the tire/fender with the lights... when i went to 21 i just went HID up front and pulled the fogs on the harley

i know it is not a harley but i hope this helps... this is my sport touring what i use to move parts from the shop and my home... my daily rider 365 rain, shine, or snow

mounted them under the fairing

ran my relay under the seat, so i get main power from the battery, can use a switch, an they are hard lined into the bike so they will turn on and off with the bike itself (same as the hand warmers)

you can see they are really tucked up in there

Old 10-12-2012, 10:17 AM
ResidentPirate
Cruiser

THANK YOU JRK! I appreciate all of the detail you have put into your response! I do have one remaining question for you - you mentioned that you wired the switch under the battery box. Did you simply run the wires from the switch right under the seat? As far as weatherproofing, did you use a hose/housing to protect the wires from the elements? Also, did you mount the switch to the underside of the battery box cover, or one of those flat spots on the batery tray? Again, thank you for all of your help... With the exception of the Cobra unit, which simply used all stock connectors, this will be my first real harley modification, as well as my first foray into wiring electrical components - as I'm sure you can probably tell, I'm a planner... Any other advice you or anyone else on the forum can give me before I give it a shot this weekend would be much appreciated! Thanks again brother!!

On a separate note, are you still making fork bag stereos?? What's the going rate on them?