Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 Alternator blow up with pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 01:20 PM
magna
Stellar HDF Member
Received 236 Likes on 145 Posts

LOL maybe the thing to do is to resign from this forum jg, not likely though I've become addicted to it.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:54 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 447 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by jgcable
The witch hunt is just for the 06 Dyna because its the first year for the 6 speed and it has the screwed in compensator cup. I called 3 major Harley Dealerships in my area and spoke to the service managers (all of which have been working at these dealerships on the 10 to 20 year range). Yankee Harley, Danbury Harley and Brothers Harley. All in Connecticut.
Regarding the compensator cup.... not one 2006 Dyna has ever come in with that problem and on top of that they have never seen any of the screws backing out, sheering off or getting loose on any of the 2006 Dyna's that they have had in for stator replacement.
Regarding the IPB Inner Primary Bearing) issue... (it goes hand in hand regarding the 2006 Dyna online witch hunt) out of the 3 dealerships they remember 5 total between the alll of them and most of them were very low mileage warrantee repairs. As a matter of fact.. Harley put the IPB in their service and owners manuals in the beginning of 06 because they had a few problems when they first came out. 6 months later they stopped putting the IPB warning in the owners manual and service manual because after collecting data from all the dealerships there was simply no problems every being reported.
If you want to find problems with your bike online all you have to do is search and get the crap scared out of you.

Simply not true.....if you take an 06 apart a second before the rotor ***** itself you won't see anything wrong with it....it just happens in an instant and there are a lot of first hand accounts on how these go bang.

Secondly I have seen the H-D bulletin that says to change IPBs at 20,000kms.....not miles. Its still current and an IPB lasts between 15 and 25,000 kms on average.

H-D converted a heap of bikes to 2007 specs under warranty and only sell the 2007 upgrade if you are after a rotor for an 06.

It isn't a witch hunt, its a documented set of weaknesses that only affect 06 motors.

Phoning a Harley dealer isn't a very effective way of hearing the truth. I have access to the service bulletins through another indie who bribes the main dealer.

What the Main Dealer service dept says on the phone is carefully controlled to avoid litigation....it's how all USA vehicle manufacturers do business.

If you own an 06 bike you MUST upgrade the alternator....end of story.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:56 PM
jgcable
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Spanners39
Simply not true.....if you take an 06 apart a second before the rotor ***** itself you won't see anything wrong with it....it just happens in an instant and there are a lot of first hand accounts on how these go bang.

Secondly I have seen the H-D bulletin that says to change IPBs at 20,000kms.....not miles. Its still current and an IPB lasts between 15 and 25,000 kms on average.

H-D converted a heap of bikes to 2007 specs under warranty and only sell the 2007 upgrade if you are after a rotor for an 06.

It isn't a witch hunt, its a documented set of weaknesses that only affect 06 motors.

Phoning a Harley dealer isn't a very effective way of hearing the truth. I have access to the service bulletins through another indie who bribes the main dealer.

What the Main Dealer service dept says on the phone is carefully controlled to avoid litigation....it's how all USA vehicle manufacturers do business.

If you own an 06 bike you MUST upgrade the alternator....end of story.
I called 3 dealerships. LARGE dealerships. The largest in Connecticut. I know the guy at one, my best friend knows the guy at the other and I called one that neither of us know. They all had the same answers. I guess I was lied to by all three service managers. 2 that I know and one that I don't know. Its not like I was looking for a freebee. I called to schedule the replacement of the stator/rotor to the newer 2007+ welded on compensator cup style. They all asked me the same question to start. "Am I having any problem?". I told them no, but I would rather be safe than sorry.. especially on a long ride with my wife on the back of the bike. Thats when they told me that they have never had a single 2006 Dyna come in with that issue. I then asked about the IPB and Brothers in Branford did it a few times since 2006. Danbury remembered one or 2. All were warranty repairs on new low mileage bikes. They haven't seen one come in with an IPB issue for the last 6 years.
I was ready to pull the trigger and do both anyway and they talked me out of it stating that they are internet witch hunts and isolated incidents sparked by disgruntled 2006 owners after they found out that in 2007 the motor got bigger and there were a bunch of changes made to the newer models. The 2006 owners automatically assumed that since Harley made design changes to the compensator cup and added the locating dowels in the 2007 that were not present in the 2006 there must have been a problem.
The reason for the change in the rotor/stator/compensator cup had NOTHING to do with an issue. It was ALL to do with a higher amperage stator. The infamous missing locating pins in the 2006 have nothing to do with a faulty IPB. I read an article from an engineer at Harley saying they had something to do with the stability of the starter.
The reason they offer an upgrade is because the new stuff is better. It isn't because there is anything wrong with the original parts. The dealerships also told me that the majority of the stator replacments they made on the 2006 Dyna's (if they were faulty) were replaced with the same exact 2006 design and not upgraded unless the customer requested it.

Old 02-07-2013, 03:02 PM
jgcable
Road Master

Anyway... I don't want to get into a pissing match about it. I am not disputing that it hasn't happened. Obviously it has. There are tons of posts online with guys talking about it. I mentioned them to the dealerships. I even made copies of the posts to read to them. I was VERY CONCERNED about the issues I was reading and I was in the process of bringing my bike up to the dealership where I bought it and having the potential weak spots taken care of. If my 2006 Dyna charging system craps out I'll have it towed home and I will fix it. If the IPB starts making noise.. I'll address that too. Hopefully I won't have an issue. According to my friends who are service managers at HD Dealerships I shouldn't worry about it because they wouldn't.

Old 02-07-2013, 03:09 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 447 Likes on 255 Posts

I have seen the bulletins, they make a nonesens of what you are saying, H-D know of the problem, it isn't isolated and its not a witch hunt.

The 06 rotor is ****, the inner primary shuffles and eats bearings plus primary to crank gaskets.....its a fact and the MOCO knows about it.

Even your mates in the trade are bound by certain protocols as to what they can tell people. In NZ its a heap looser and we get info that is accurate and true more easily.

When this customer bought his 06 I made some predictions, based on the knowledge I have gained from my research....he ignored me and all the predicitons came true......that's all I'm gonna say on the subject.

I fix these things for money and my research goes beyond the internet.

Old 02-07-2013, 05:28 PM
Harley Tim
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jgcable
The witch hunt is just for the 06 Dyna because its the first year for the 6 speed and it has the screwed in compensator cup. I called 3 major Harley Dealerships in my area and spoke to the service managers (all of which have been working at these dealerships on the 10 to 20 year range). Yankee Harley, Danbury Harley and Brothers Harley. All in Connecticut.
Regarding the compensator cup.... not one 2006 Dyna has ever come in with that problem and on top of that they have never seen any of the screws backing out, sheering off or getting loose on any of the 2006 Dyna's that they have had in for stator replacement.
Regarding the IPB Inner Primary Bearing) issue... (it goes hand in hand regarding the 2006 Dyna online witch hunt) out of the 3 dealerships they remember 5 total between the alll of them and most of them were very low mileage warrantee repairs. As a matter of fact.. Harley put the IPB in their service and owners manuals in the beginning of 06 because they had a few problems when they first came out. 6 months later they stopped putting the IPB warning in the owners manual and service manual because after collecting data from all the dealerships there was simply no problems every being reported.
If you want to find problems with your bike online all you have to do is search and get the crap scared out of you.
Keep your head in the sand! It's ALL very real. I've "been there, done that" with The IPB, and the "fix" for it.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:33 PM
02fx4dude
Road Master
Received 251 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Spanners39
What really hacks me off about the later bikes is that you have to take the inner primary off to remove the rotor because H-D make the front of the cover just under a quarter inch too small to allow you to get the sucker off with the primary in place.........Grrrrrrrrr!!!!!
When I swapped my compensator I found a thread in the touring section showing how to use a grinder on the inner primary. works great for people like me that are too lazy to pull off the clutch basket and inner primary. but, you need to be mindful about taking off just the right amount in the right places. otherwise your primary could leak.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:42 PM
DCLXVI
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Instead of offering to upgrade his rotor & stator you maybe should have offered to fix it by spot welding it. It is much easier, since you had it out already, and id doesn't require replacing the stator.

Old 02-08-2013, 06:48 AM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: PacNW; Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals.......AZ Snowbird; Just another Conservative
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I throw in with Spanners39 on this one; definite '06 Dyna issues! The "Pink Letter" that early '06 owners received was an admission of a problem. Then the lawyers told them. "Hey, that letter is a major drop-trou...you gotta vacate that!" That they rescinded it with a second letter soon after was futile; the cat was out of the bag. It was about as convincing as, "Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!"
My IPB went twice; 3900-mi, and [after a new IPB/Race] again at 12K-mi. The second time, I got another IPB/Race, and the new doweled '07 IP/Tranny Cases. MoCo paid for the fix both times. Now fast-on 40K miles and no more IPB issues...you do the math! I ran a poll on this forum after my 2nd IPB fail, asking how many '06 owners had experienced an IPB problem; as I remember the poll results were 39% of 61 respondents had had IPB problem(s)...some had 3 or more failures! (Just bumped my old poll thread, should be nearby; look it over).

Old 02-08-2013, 07:26 AM
jgcable
Road Master

Originally Posted by PKellyMc
I throw in with Spanners39 on this one; definite '06 Dyna issues! The "Pink Letter" that early '06 owners received was an admission of a problem. Then the lawyers told them. "Hey, that letter is a major drop-trou...you gotta vacate that!" That they rescinded it with a second letter soon after was futile; the cat was out of the bag. It was about as convincing as, "Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!"
My IPB went twice; 3900-mi, and [after a new IPB/Race] again at 12K-mi. The second time, I got another IPB/Race, and the new doweled '07 IP/Tranny Cases. MoCo paid for the fix both times. Now fast-on 40K miles and no more IPB issues...you do the math! I ran a poll on this forum after my 2nd IPB fail, asking how many '06 owners had experienced an IPB problem; as I remember the poll results were 39% of 61 respondents had had IPB problem(s)...some had 3 or more failures! (Just bumped my old poll thread, should be nearby; look it over).
Thanks for the responses. A little background. I bought my 2006 from the dealership over the summer. It had 5000 miles on it. When I read about all the issues thats when I called. I asked about the warranty repair or if there was a recall or if Harley would help pay for it.
My bike doesn't have a warranty. It came with a standard 90 day warranty. I have only put 600 miles on the bike since I bought it. Because of this I called to see what they could do. They told me that they can't do anything if there is nothing wrong with my bike. They asked if my IPB is making noise. Its not. They asked if I have had any charging issues or any issues at all. I'm not. Harley won't help pay for an upgrade on parts that they don't have a factory recall on. The only think my buddy (the service manager) told me is that if brought the bike in and they did a quick inspection on it they could sell me an extended warranty. The extended warranty costs as much as the IPB and the Stator/rotor would cost. One guy told me that I could save a bunch of money if I replace the IPB with an aftermarket one by Baker. Its supposed to take care of that issue forever without having to pay for a new inner primary case that has the locating pins. I could also remove the stator and rotor and have the screws for the compensator cup tack welded into place and reinstalled.
The service manager also told me that if I did end up having a problem he would submit the issue to Harley and try to get compensation for me for the repairs but I need to HAVE a problem first. Thats when I mentioned that I don't want to have a problem with my wife on the back of the bike and I would rather be proactive on these 2 issues. All 3 service managers response to this was "they don't see a problem with the IPB or the compensator cup screws on the 2006 Dyna's".
It sucks reading about all the issues online and getting a 100% opposite response from the local dealerships.

Quick Reply: 2006 Alternator blow up with pics