Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1/4 mile time second attempt after cam improvement

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 05:46 AM
Dingobob
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

On a track you should be mid to high 12's from what I've seen.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:05 AM
mikeo33y
Road Warrior
Received 114 Likes on 69 Posts

most folks dont realize how much of a role a clutch plays. i have toyed around with clutches my whole life and guys will mess with pipes and cams to no end but never ever put heavy clutches springs in. U cant get the power to the ground with out this mod. A clutch is the first item i would mod. Easy and cheap. With the bike stock, your losing power and dont realize it. The factories goal is an easy feeling clutch pull at the lever. Not putting every spec of power to the ground. So. You probably could r grab that time easily with these few mods. Hes not dreaming dude.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:34 AM
jmeiers
Road Warrior
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm not calling BS at all. I think the Dakota gauge is a good way to show a measure of improvement between using it while your bike was stock and how it sits now.

However, only time slips from an actual drag strip are the real deal, as far as how fast your bike really is. Preferably, with another run to back up the best run.

Also, how much of that improvement is due to rider/riding improvement?

Last edited by jmeiers; 03-17-2013 at 08:37 AM.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:22 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Well, I am not trying to prove how fast I am, since I have the 1/4mile count on my Dakota digital, might as well give it a try. Doing it on the street is hard, got to find a quiet hwy and stop on the side, watch for ongoing traffic and wait for a chance lol
Yes, the rider skill is important, I am still learning how to launch, either bog down 1st gear or spin and rear tire. I am still practising patiently

Old 03-17-2013, 06:06 PM
Gommee
Devil's Advocate
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by 128auto
Well, I am not trying to prove how fast I am, since I have the 1/4mile count on my Dakota digital, might as well give it a try. Doing it on the street is hard, got to find a quiet hwy and stop on the side, watch for ongoing traffic and wait for a chance lol
Yes, the rider skill is important, I am still learning how to launch, either bog down 1st gear or spin and rear tire. I am still practising patiently

Just keep the front tire on the ground!

Old 03-17-2013, 07:26 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

The cams, pulley and clutch make a big difference. The cams alone increase power by more than 10%.

The fwd controls, tires, road surface and weather affect the comparison to pro stats from magazines and factory literature.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:03 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

It is used as for comparison, Like a dyno is.
This way he can see the difference from stock to what ever he does later on.
A dyno is use to compare numbers to get the best tune.
In the real world things are different and I am sure the OP realizes that.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:48 PM
Puffdaddy
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 128auto
That's my problem...
By chance did you do any 0-60 runs for comparison? I don't ever run wide open from a stop to 90+MPH so the 1/4 mile is not that important to me. 0-60 on the other hand, I do nearly every time I ride

Old 03-18-2013, 09:02 AM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

You think I am a mad man, don't you? LOL I've never done 1/4 mile race either, just for fun. I'd like to see what my SB can do, that's all. Promise I will do a 0-60 whenever I have a chance, keep you posted!

Originally Posted by Puffdaddy
That's my problem...
By chance did you do any 0-60 runs for comparison? I don't ever run wide open from a stop to 90+MPH so the 1/4 mile is not that important to me. 0-60 on the other hand, I do nearly every time I ride

Old 03-18-2013, 01:05 PM
Dynam1te
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I had no idea the dakota digital did this.... Thanks for making me look at yet another mod...

Quick Reply: 1/4 mile time second attempt after cam improvement