Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing tail light on 2012 street bob

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 09:39 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

I have a 2010 and the first thing I did was unplug the sparto light and remove it. The sig lights already run as tail/turn/stop lights and nothing changed. I pulled the wires running to the tail lamp and unplugged them from the harness. I built a new plug and wired it to run a light for my side mount plate. Later I removed the sigs and converted to LED strip and a side mount with a brake light (just added the thrird wire back to the plug I built.

To answer your question, you should be fine removing the tail lamp. Just unplug it and secure the wire, test all your lights and if they work as they did prior take it for a test ride (10 miles or so) if you have any issues they should show up, but I don't think you will. If all is good, remove the light.

This system is not like the systems on the super glide and other models where the sigs run via the fender light housing, so removing the tail lamp does not effect the side lights.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:06 AM
rs87277
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

im selling my seat as soon as my custom le pera comes in, ill give you a good price. The seat is great, all real leather and nice but im just going for a diff look...

Old 04-18-2013, 07:39 PM
Jimmy2Ball
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info. I ordered the side mount license plate bracket and will need to wire the light on this. Any thoughts on how to do this?

Old 04-18-2013, 08:01 PM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy2Ball
Thanks for the info. I ordered the side mount license plate bracket and will need to wire the light on this. Any thoughts on how to do this?
I can't post my pic, but if you dig through my pics in my profile, you should be able to find a few diagrams I made up of how I have mine wired up.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:12 PM
Jimmy2Ball
Intermediate

Thanks I did see those and they looked pretty detailed. I will review and see if I can figure this out.

Old 04-19-2013, 04:23 PM
Tomsprops
Advanced

I hope you swap goes smoother than mine . I installed a Kuryakyn Panacea on my 2013 Streetbob .When I removed the STBob fender and went to a Superglide fender .
The Load Equalizer started to melt . Apparently the Paneacea isn't compatible on a 2013 with the Canbus style wiring ( Whatever The Phooey that is ) ? Or as The Demeaning ****** at Kuryakyns Tech center put it " It aint for that Bike Partner" .

Old 04-19-2013, 06:58 PM
oldlefty
Tourer

Originally Posted by Tomsprops
I hope you swap goes smoother than mine . I installed a Kuryakyn Panacea on my 2013 Streetbob .When I removed the STBob fender and went to a Superglide fender .
The Load Equalizer started to melt . Apparently the Paneacea isn't compatible on a 2013 with the Canbus style wiring ( Whatever The Phooey that is ) ? Or as The Demeaning ****** at Kuryakyns Tech center put it " It aint for that Bike Partner" .
this is exactly what i thought would happen. making new bikes harder to get aftermarket parts for. you will have to get stuff from HD until others make compatible components.

CAN bus
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
CAN bus (for controller area network) is a vehicle bus standard designed to allow microcontrollers and devices to communicate with each other within a vehicle without a host computer.
CAN bus is a message-based protocol, designed specifically for automotive applications but now also used in other areas such as aerospace, industrial automation and medical equipment.
Development of CAN bus started originally in 1983 at Robert Bosch GmbH.[1] The protocol was officially released in 1986 at the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) congress in Detroit, Michigan. The first CAN controller chips, produced by Intel and Philips, came on the market in 1987. Bosch published the CAN 2.0 specification in 1991.
CAN bus is one of five protocols used in the OBD-II vehicle diagnostics standard. The OBD-II standard has been mandatory for all cars and light trucks sold in the United States since 1996, and the EOBD standard has been mandatory for all petrol vehicles sold in the European Union since 2001 and all diesel vehicles since 2004.[2]

Old 04-19-2013, 11:22 PM
Tomsprops
Advanced

Wow Look @ You ! Mr. Smarty Pants .

Old 04-19-2013, 11:39 PM
oldlefty
Tourer

Originally Posted by Tomsprops
Wow Look @ You ! Mr. Smarty Pants .
haha thanks but wikipedia is the smarty pants!

Old 03-11-2014, 07:53 PM
ellsworth1984
Stage I
Default Problems

So I un plugged my tail light on my 2012 street bob but my signals don't do brake light so I looked for a run brake turn module and no one makes on for a 2012 street bob that i can find any suggestions ?

Quick Reply: Removing tail light on 2012 street bob