Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission oil was low

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 06:41 PM
iammulva
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Transmission oil was low

I just changed oil, tranny oil, and primary chaincase oil. I checked tranny oil level before draining and it didn't register on the dipstick. The tranny oil is supposed to be .95L and I got .60L when I measured how much I drained. The bike has 5300 miles on it and I don't know the history although the previous owner (2nd) said the first owner did the 1000 mile service.

Any thoughts on low tranny fluid and anything I can do about it now?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by iammulva; 10-27-2013 at 06:43 PM.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:03 PM
KEYBEAR
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very little you can do NOW . If you don,t have any leaks and it gets low again you have a problem . That would be my only concern at this point .

I have learned if you your self did not do the service you have no idea how it was done .
The bike could have been low on oil all this time OR NOT ?

Old 10-27-2013, 07:20 PM
iammulva
Cruiser

Thanks for the response. It did not appear that there was a leak anywhere. I don't know where the tranny oil could go if not leaking? I'm a remove/replace kind of guy (and/or follow the manual), but not all that experienced with troubleshooting motors.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:01 PM
Robtarra39
Road Warrior
Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Did you check the oil on the side stand, i do believe it should be checked with bike level, that is the procedure for my 2002, that might explain the level difference

Old 10-27-2013, 08:19 PM
Sonicgazi
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Robtarra39
Did you check the oil on the side stand, i do believe it should be checked with bike level, that is the procedure for my 2002, that might explain the level difference
Im not certain and this has always been something I've wondered, I believe it's supposed to be on the stand but I'm not 100% certain. On my last fluid change I added oil with the bike level and not too long later my check oil light would flicker going up steep hills. Checked it on the stand and it showed super low.

Old 10-27-2013, 10:53 PM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonicgazi
Im not certain and this has always been something I've wondered, I believe it's supposed to be on the stand but I'm not 100% certain. On my last fluid change I added oil with the bike level and not too long later my check oil light would flicker going up steep hills. Checked it on the stand and it showed super low.
I just looked at the owners manual for my 07 super glide and it says to check the transmission fluid with the bike on the side stand. The last time I changed my transmission fluid, I put in the 32oz the owners manual says it takes and when I checked the fluid with the bike on the side stand the transmission fluid was right on the full mark.

Old 10-27-2013, 11:24 PM
iammulva
Cruiser

Manual says check on the stand for me, but more importantly, I only got a little over 1/2L out of the bike, so regardless of how I checked it - it was likely still low. Time will tell.

Old 10-28-2013, 12:13 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

if there was no oil showing on the stick it wasnt likely still low... it was low

There is not much you can do about it now except monitor the fluid levels and see if you have a problem. Chances are some lame duck didnt put enough in it. Did you find extra oil in the primary?

Old 10-28-2013, 05:13 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by iammulva
I just changed oil, tranny oil, and primary chaincase oil. I checked tranny oil level before draining and it didn't register on the dipstick. The tranny oil is supposed to be .95L and I got .60L when I measured how much I drained. The bike has 5300 miles on it and I don't know the history although the previous owner (2nd) said the first owner did the 1000 mile service.

Any thoughts on low tranny fluid and anything I can do about it now?

Thanks in advance.
My expert suggestion: refill with the proper amount of tranny fluid. My invoice is already in the mail.

Old 10-28-2013, 06:59 AM
Jeff's 1st Harley
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Probably the person that did the last service did not put enough in. If it were leaking you would know it by the trailing oil film all over the bottom. Mine calls for these checks to be made with the bike on the jiffy stand. Trans dip stick resting on top of the threads and the motor oil dipstick screwed in. One of the reasons I use Bel-Ray fluids, they are tinted red so you can tell the difference between trans oil and engine oil. Jusayin.

Quick Reply: Transmission oil was low