Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quarter fairing vs HD windshield

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 11:22 AM
EastBay_Solo
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im using a road dawgz 8inch wind shield with my hd 1/4 fairing and it works great.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 05-10-2014, 12:11 PM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team

Received 737 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by EastBay_Solo
Im using a road dawgz 8inch wind shield with my hd 1/4 fairing and it works great.

[IMG][/IMG]
No kidding, I've never seen it in any of your photos, I must have been staring/lusting at the blue and missed it!

One of those must help more than the stocker for a longer trip, that's what I'm thinking anyway.

Thanks for the pics

Old 05-11-2014, 07:12 PM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

If you want something small that offers great wind protection then look at the National Cycle flyscreen, they are cheap, easy to fit, adjustable for mid or WG trees, adjustable angle. I installed it, set the angle where I thought it looked good and never moved it - perfect right away. Coverage was just what I was after, leaving just the outer arms/shoulders exposed and wind hitting around chin level (FF helmet) and not a lick of buffeting at any speed.

Old 08-12-2015, 08:13 PM
ScrapsReady
4th Gear

Originally Posted by bremsstrahlung
Here ya go...

And one of that steel spacer I was talking about. It's 1.5" by the way which is as tall as I could get without the headlight bucket hitting the top tree.

Brems, do you have any other pics of your fairing lip maybe front or 3/4 view? I'm in the middle of this same setup with my 2010 wide glide and was wondering how tall you are? I'm 6'2" and wanted to ad 8-10" risers with stock bars for comfort. Also did you paint it yourself or had Harley do it?

Old 08-13-2015, 07:53 AM
kainvamp
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bremsstrahlung
+1
A lot depends on your choice of helmet as well. I ride a quality full face with a good aerodynamic shape that contributes BIG time to wind management.( Shoei RF1000 ) My quarter fairing setup puts the wind at around eye level at speeds above 40mph, but from there the aerodynamics of the helmet take care of the rest. At speeds over 70mph I have no buffeting, can clearly hear my music and can even just hear my (stock) mufflers.
With a full face helmet, wind hitting you at chin level is horrendous. You get excssive noise and buffeting as the air jams itself in the space between the bottom of the helmet and your shoulders. The helmet chinbar moving the air down and your torso moving the air up into the same spot.

Another big factor that rarely gets mentioned is the ambient wind on the day you're riding, btw.

My setup is pretty similar and I agree. I wear a shoei rf1100, have a conely's wide glide fairing on my fat bob and I have zero buffetting at any speed. I can easily cruise at 75-80 and the fairing definitely made a difference, feels more like 50. I think the aerodynamics of the helmet does contribute, the wind hits me right where the vent is at chin level so I get good airflow through helmet.

Old 10-19-2015, 11:23 PM
Racerx1200
Novice

Originally Posted by VoiceofReason44
I just picked up the Memphis Shade gauntlet and installed this evening. I really like the amount of protection it provides. Difference of night and day on my FXDB.
Any chance we can see pics of the gauntlet on a sportster or specifically the Nightster? Can't find many online and seriously considering it if I like the look. Thanks!

Old 10-20-2015, 04:10 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Originally Posted by 99%r
I have a HD compact quick release windshield, but like the looks of the quarter fairings. How does the wind protection from the quarter fairing compare to the HD compact windshield?

I like the looks of the fairing, but can't give up to much more wind protection. Also don't want a tall shield on the quarter fairing.

Thanks for any input
I have both. I run the quarter fairing in the middle of the summer, cooler spring and fall/winter weather I use the compact windshield with a Cee Bailey's screen that is shorter than stock. Between the two I like the windshield better. Even with a laminar lip on the quarter fairing the windshield is better in terms of function.