Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noise After Cam Chain Tensioner Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 04:16 PM
Staylebait
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Snydcat
Unless you had at least 100,000 miles I doubt you needed the tensioners replaced on a 08.
Umm no you are WAY off on that. This thing already was breaking and was missing a few pieces from it.

Do a quick search on this forum and you will see pics from people with it happening on same year bikes at less mileage. This is a very common issue and seems to happen at around 30k+ miles on the bikes with the upgraded tensioners.

Old 08-13-2014, 04:24 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Originally Posted by Snydcat
Unless you had at least 100,000 miles I doubt you needed the tensioners replaced on a 08.
100% correct.

Old 08-13-2014, 04:36 PM
C.J
Tourer

I did my tensioners myself....hardly rocket science. There are a few things that it could be....but I highly doubt piston slap has anything to do with it

Good luck.

Old 08-13-2014, 04:42 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by C.J
I did my tensioners myself....hardly rocket science. There are a few things that it could be....but I highly doubt piston slap has anything to do with it

Good luck.
Heck if they are doing it under warranty, even if to cover some mistake, id go with it.

Old 08-13-2014, 06:46 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,365 Likes on 2,374 Posts

You lost me on the part where the chain being under pressure changes the angle of the piston going up and down in the cylinder.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:15 PM
loopie
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
You lost me on the part where the chain being under pressure changes the angle of the piston going up and down in the cylinder.

made me laugh another clown that knows **** all about motors, ive know off variable cam shaft timing,,,, BUT never variable crankshaft timing ,, MUST be only only on **** puppets bikes:icon_ banana:

Old 08-14-2014, 11:52 PM
wyotana
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I was always under the impression that the switched to a gear tensioning system in 07 and hydraulic after that. All of the cam chain tension problems at 30k miles I've heard of are from pre 2007....

Then again I could be wrong.

Old 08-15-2014, 07:54 AM
Staylebait
Cruiser

Originally Posted by wyotana
I was always under the impression that the switched to a gear tensioning system in 07 and hydraulic after that. All of the cam chain tension problems at 30k miles I've heard of are from pre 2007....

Then again I could be wrong.
No they just replace them with hydraulic ones that fail later, like every 30k miles instead of sooner. To get gears you have to check the crank runout and if it is outside some insanely tight value then you have to send it off to get it machined down to the correct value.

The hydraulic ones fail too, mine did. It started cracking and breaking up so same deal as the pre-2007 ones. My mechanic buddy said they just don't fail as much but they still do so you have to replace them every 30k or so and if you have the old style check at least every 10k because those things can and will fail without any warning at all then clog up your oil pump.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:01 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Staylebait
No they just replace them with hydraulic ones that fail later, like every 30k miles instead of sooner. To get gears you have to check the crank runout and if it is outside some insanely tight value then you have to send it off to get it machined down to the correct value.

The hydraulic ones fail too, mine did. It started cracking and breaking up so same deal as the pre-2007 ones. My mechanic buddy said they just don't fail as much but they still do so you have to replace them every 30k or so and if you have the old style check at least every 10k because those things can and will fail without any warning at all then clog up your oil pump.
Your friend is full of crap. The 07+ have been a very reliable set up.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:04 AM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,493 Likes on 1,073 Posts

Originally Posted by Staylebait
I was thinking the same thing myself, but I emailed a buddy last night about it who owns a bike shop. His reply was that it can happen and has to him before. Pardon my over simplifying here, I don't know enough about it to get into specifics so am explaining it how he explained it to me.

Apparently if there are other issues particularly in the cam chain then replacing the tensioners (and the other parts in there like I had done) and fixing the tension on those chains can adjust the angle of the piston in the cylinder very slightly. Apparently with the shitty run out (still reading up on this part) on these engines that tiny of a change combined can cause the "piston slap" which will start scoring the insides of the cylinders. He said he has seen it on a few bikes after doing the tensioner replacement or upgrade and is usually associated with people abusing their bikes like the previous owner did to mine.

So let me get this straight....This guy says replacing the cam tensioners caused piston slap?

And, You believe him?

My recommendation is that you find a shop that isn't trying to rip you off!

Quick Reply: Noise After Cam Chain Tensioner Replacement