Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noise After Cam Chain Tensioner Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 03:15 PM
Staylebait
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Noise After Cam Chain Tensioner Replacement

A few weeks ago I was reading up on that dreaded cam chain tensioner issue and had a nagging feeling I need to check my bike. So I did and brought the pics to my mechanic and his response was get it in here now.

I did and they replaced both of the tensioners under my extended warranty (damn glad I bought that thing!!!). Today was my first day that I have had a chance to ride it more than from the shop to the house and I started noticing a metal "pulling" sound coming from the right side when I was riding to lunch. It may be coming from under the cam plate, but I can't tell. It starts once I get the bike warmed up and going. Was told to try a stethoscope for this which I will try and do soon to see where it's coming from.

Is a sound like this normal while those tensioner shoes break in? Or does this sound like something I need to have back in the shop for them to make sure they didn't break something on?

Old 08-01-2014, 10:18 PM
FXD_noob
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Info on your bike? Year, model, etc...?

Old 08-01-2014, 11:23 PM
C.J
Tourer

How did they fix it? Did you do gear driven cams?

Old 08-02-2014, 02:49 AM
clap
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I would take it back asap since it was warrenty work

Old 08-02-2014, 11:53 AM
hamcentral
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by clap
I would take it back asap since it was warrenty work
I agree. If they did the work, you want to make sure they did it right. Document anything that seems "off".

Old 08-02-2014, 02:40 PM
Staylebait
Cruiser

It's an 08 Fat Bob.

They only replaced the tensioners on it with new ones, I didn't plop down the cash for the crank to get tuned and whatnot for gears.

Old 08-13-2014, 03:29 PM
Staylebait
Cruiser

So shop was closed for Sturgis and finally got it in. One listen to it and the mechanic knew immediately it was "piston slap" as he was working on one with the same issue currently.

They are getting me an estimate on machining the cylinders, replacing the piston, etc. or to put on a big bore kit. Depending on price may just do the big bore kit on it since extended warranty will pay for most of the labor and parts.

Old 08-13-2014, 04:03 PM
C.J
Tourer

Originally Posted by Staylebait
So shop was closed for Sturgis and finally got it in. One listen to it and the mechanic knew immediately it was "piston slap" as he was working on one with the same issue currently.

They are getting me an estimate on machining the cylinders, replacing the piston, etc. or to put on a big bore kit. Depending on price may just do the big bore kit on it since extended warranty will pay for most of the labor and parts.
What?

Why would there be "piston slap" all of the sudden? Sounds like he f'ed up and is talking circles around you to cover his ***.

Old 08-13-2014, 04:13 PM
Snydcat
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Unless you had at least 100,000 miles I doubt you needed the tensioners replaced on a 08.

Old 08-13-2014, 04:14 PM
Staylebait
Cruiser

I was thinking the same thing myself, but I emailed a buddy last night about it who owns a bike shop. His reply was that it can happen and has to him before. Pardon my over simplifying here, I don't know enough about it to get into specifics so am explaining it how he explained it to me.

Apparently if there are other issues particularly in the cam chain then replacing the tensioners (and the other parts in there like I had done) and fixing the tension on those chains can adjust the angle of the piston in the cylinder very slightly. Apparently with the shitty run out (still reading up on this part) on these engines that tiny of a change combined can cause the "piston slap" which will start scoring the insides of the cylinders. He said he has seen it on a few bikes after doing the tensioner replacement or upgrade and is usually associated with people abusing their bikes like the previous owner did to mine.

Quick Reply: Noise After Cam Chain Tensioner Replacement