Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noise After Cam Chain Tensioner Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 08:05 AM
Staylebait
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by soft 02
Your friend is full of crap. The 07+ have been a very reliable set up.
Umm dude it JUST happened to mine!!! If you read my original post I just had it done because mine failed at 38k. He is not full of crap, mine was breaking up and I only have 38k on it, so yes these things do fail and are not as reliable as you think. I saw it with my own eyes with pieces missing off of it and that were in the case.

Do a search on this forum, there are literally hundreds of posts like mine about them failing around the 30k mark on post-07 models.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:07 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Originally Posted by Staylebait
No they just replace them with hydraulic ones that fail later, like every 30k miles instead of sooner. To get gears you have to check the crank runout and if it is outside some insanely tight value then you have to send it off to get it machined down to the correct value.

The hydraulic ones fail too, mine did. It started cracking and breaking up so same deal as the pre-2007 ones. My mechanic buddy said they just don't fail as much but they still do so you have to replace them every 30k or so and if you have the old style check at least every 10k because those things can and will fail without any warning at all then clog up your oil pump.

.001 is not an insane value and you dont machine a crank thats out of true. Is this more info from your friend?

Old 08-15-2014, 08:08 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Umm dude it JUST happened to mine!!! If you read my original post I just had it done because mine failed at 38k. He is not full of crap, mine was breaking up and I only have 38k on it, so yes these things do fail and are not as reliable as you think. I saw it with my own eyes with pieces missing off of it and that were in the case.

Do a search on this forum, there are literally hundreds of posts like mine about them failing around the 30k mark on post-07 models.
Been here a long time and there are maybe 3 07+ failures.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:10 AM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,493 Likes on 1,073 Posts

Your friend is full of crap. The 07+ have been a very reliable set up.

Keep thinking that....Job security for mechanics.

I just did the cam tensioners on a '10 with 15,000 miles on it and they were completely worn out.

In MOST cases they are "somewhat" better, but they are still subject to premature wear.
I would never even consider running them without at least a visual inspection every 15,000 to 20,000 miles.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:20 AM
Staylebait
Cruiser

.001 is not an insane value and you dont machine a crank thats out of true. Is this more info from your friend?
No that's from my own research. .001 is pretty insane for Harleys from what I have seen based on what everybody who does it and posts there is. The point is to get gears you are looking at about a $2k job getting the crank fixed and putting it all together if you have a shop do it.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:23 AM
Staylebait
Cruiser

Been here a long time and there are maybe 3 07+ failures.
I am just ignoring you from now on. You obviously can't type in that search field up above for proof. Sound like a door to door street preacher just spouting out what you think instead of searching for truth yourself even when it's just a simple phrase and hitting enter above.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:36 AM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member

No that's from my own research. .001 is pretty insane for Harleys from what I have seen based on what everybody who does it and posts there is. The point is to get gears you are looking at about a $2k job getting the crank fixed and putting it all together if you have a shop do it.

.001 is far from "insane for a Harley" as you say....It is however harder to attain in the later models because Harley has "cheaped" them down so badly that they can no longer guarantee realistic runout on their cranks.
The way the factory addressed the problem was to "increase the tolerance" so that the newer poorly constructed motors are "within spec".

I have an '01 Dyna that has less than .001 runout with nearly 30,000 miles on it, as they were actually designed to have before the "cheaping down" process began.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:48 AM
1stfxdwg
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default pion slap

I am also raising the BS flag on piston skirt slap resulting from absolutely anything that exists in the cam box area. unless they ****** something up on the inner cam bearings and they are coming apart and your oil pump is sending the debris everywhere at a reduced flow/pressure because it is now destroyed and the pistons are scoring from a lack of lubrication. ill say inner bearing, incorrect sprocket shimming/alignment, preload circlip came off allowing cam to walk, packings for oil pump/support plate missing. none of these issues should occur with an experienced shop/mech. the engine went in healthy and came out sick, keep it simple.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:51 AM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by 1stfxdwg
I am also raising the BS flag on piston skirt slap resulting from absolutely anything that exists in the cam box area. unless they ****** something up on the inner cam bearings and they are coming apart and your oil pump is sending the debris everywhere at a reduced flow/pressure because it is now destroyed and the pistons are scoring from a lack of lubrication. ill say inner bearing, incorrect sprocket shimming/alignment, preload circlip came off allowing cam to walk, packings for oil pump/support plate missing. none of these issues should occur with an experienced shop/mech. the engine went in healthy and came out sick, keep it simple.

I hate to think that they fcuked something up that bad....But I would tend to agree with your assessment.

Old 08-15-2014, 09:19 AM
Staylebait
Cruiser

I just got a call from them and the extended warranty company is going to cover it, so if they ****ed it up then it is paid for.

Now the hard decision comes on if I want to go ahead and have them do the machining of the cylinder and replace the piston with a larger one or plop out the $400 difference and get the S&s big bore kit instead for it. I am thinking I will do that honestly just to add more umph to the bike.

I can't seem to find a straight answer, but it sounds like I will need some better cams to handle the bigger bore though. This true or just people pushing it?

Quick Reply: Noise After Cam Chain Tensioner Replacement