Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Battery keeps dying

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 07:28 PM
wrburg
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery keeps dying

Hey guys

I've got a 2012 wide glide that I'm finding dies after leaving it sit for half a day. It's a relatively new battery (bought last year because of this same problem). No electrical upgrades unless you count my powervision flash. Other than that, just intake, exhaust and suspension mods. How do I track down where my drain is coming from? Everything I've read online involves pulling fuses but I've got a BCM. Thanks in advance.

Old 04-02-2015, 07:46 PM
okcjetmech
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Either you have a bad battery or somthing is draining it , and pulling fuses will help isolate what is draining it.

Old 04-02-2015, 07:54 PM
wrburg
4th Gear

Yeah, except because of the BCM I only have 3 fuses and narrowing it down to "battery" or "accessory" isn't really narrowing it down lol

Old 04-02-2015, 09:31 PM
Michael knowles
Tourer

All circuits go thu the fuses. Good advise from others. Powervision has nothing to do with loss of battery power.
I still have my existing 2012 battery.
You need someone who knows how to use a volt/amp meter to determine where the voltage draw is coming from, while pulling the fuses one by one .

Old 04-02-2015, 09:43 PM
Michael knowles
Tourer

Or do this
Pull all fuses
Install one, all good or bad remove fuse
Install second, good/bad remove fuse
Install third, good/bad
That will eliminate a short on those circuits
Or you got a coffee machine & heated seats draining the battery.

Old 04-03-2015, 06:00 PM
wrburg
4th Gear

OK, I'm not really following now. I've already mentioned twice that my bike only has 3 fuses because everything is controlled through a body control module. I'm probably misunderstanding something (I do that a lot, sorry lol). I will clarify further maybe. The first fuse is a "main" fuse and covers every circuit on the bike, the second is a "p&a" fuse which covers all installed accessories, and third a "battery" fuse which covers again all circuits except it will still run without it if it blows while riding and will throw up diagnostic codes.

I think if I were to pull the second one maybe, but "all installed accessories" doesn't really narrow it down to headlight, o2 censor, starter, or whatever.

So short of taking it to a dealership for service, how can I test for parasitic battery drain without a fuse panel?

Old 04-03-2015, 08:23 PM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by wrburg
OK, I'm not really following now. I've already mentioned twice that my bike only has 3 fuses because everything is controlled through a body control module. I'm probably misunderstanding something (I do that a lot, sorry lol). I will clarify further maybe. The first fuse is a "main" fuse and covers every circuit on the bike, the second is a "p&a" fuse which covers all installed accessories, and third a "battery" fuse which covers again all circuits except it will still run without it if it blows while riding and will throw up diagnostic codes.

I think if I were to pull the second one maybe, but "all installed accessories" doesn't really narrow it down to headlight, o2 censor, starter, or whatever.

So short of taking it to a dealership for service, how can I test for parasitic battery drain without a fuse panel?
Well I would think you would do it basicly the same.
http://m.wikihow.com/Find-a-Parasitic-Battery-Drain
Except use the connectors instead of the circuit fuses.

Last edited by Harleycruiser; 04-03-2015 at 08:52 PM.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:29 PM
Ronder
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had to

Old 04-03-2015, 11:06 PM
Knutson Boltz
Banned
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

you may have a bad voltage regulator. Get the bike started and hook a voltage meter to the battery then hold the engine at 2500 rpm...the volt meter should read 14 to 16 volts. If it dont its your voltage regulator. If it does and all else checks out its your stator. its an easy test just look up the procedure. Search this forum and the v twin forum to find this out..........

Last edited by Knutson Boltz; 04-03-2015 at 11:11 PM.
Old 04-04-2015, 08:27 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,619 Likes on 4,665 Posts

Originally Posted by wrburg
Yeah, except because of the BCM I only have 3 fuses and narrowing it down to "battery" or "accessory" isn't really narrowing it down lol
Ugh.... yes, that is narrowing it down. You have to start somewhere.

Have you tried disconnecting the battery completely to see if it will discharge?

Quick Reply: Battery keeps dying