Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Rough road ... Deuce tail light assembly, don't leave me now!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 05:43 PM
07DeuceTX
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Rough road ... Deuce tail light assembly, don't leave me now!

This might be Deuce newbie error. I popped the tail light housing out and put in a brighter halogen bulb. Just pops out, snaps back in.

I hit a patch of road today that damn near jarred by childhood dental fillings out of my teeth. What it did do was pop the tail light assembly loose.

No damage, just popped it back into place. But since there's nothing holding it (that I know of at least) other than being installed properly, any tips?

Don't want to lose it while on the road ... Not even a cool story! Thanks Y'All.

Old 02-29-2016, 11:01 AM
enodrano
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Just because you were able to pop it out does not mean that is how it is suppose to be done. A service manual would give you the correct procedure. Since the bulb is replaceable I would think that it would just pop out.

It either clips into place or is held in with pressure. It may just be worn out, damaged, or just was not re-seated correctly. When you put it on make sure you can't easily get it to come off. You good also get a new lense and see if that helps. Also, it just may have been a one time thing due to the bump in the road.

Old 02-29-2016, 07:23 PM
07DeuceTX
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Enodrano, spot on - Thank you. Just because it can be popped off doesn't make that the correct way ... Matter of fact, it damages the rear-most clips that hold it securely.

I have a Service Manual, but didn't think to look. There's a procedure, screwdriver through the center of the license plate bulb area, to remove the taillight assembly gracefully.

It's fairly tight now, but not as tight as it was before I popped it off in the first place. Looks like I'll order a new one. Lesson learned ... Service manual, good thing to use!

Last edited by 07DeuceTX; 02-29-2016 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Spelled member name incorrectly