Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Battery light on with service codes PO562 & PO653

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 10:08 AM
wjg
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery light on with service codes PO562 & PO653

My 2009 softail has both the service engine light and the battery light light on with codes PO562 & PO563. Checked stator for A/C volts and short. Both tests tested good. Had to replace the regulator though. Still after a 15 mile ride the lights come on and same codes come up. Replaced the battery and now am getting low volt code PO562 with battery light. I have also checked all the connections that have anything to do with the charging system. All are clean and in good shape. What do I do next? Am getting low on funds.

Old 08-20-2017, 11:19 AM
6530mask
Elite HDF Member
Received 451 Likes on 345 Posts

The alternator o/p is dependent on engine RPM, the faster the engine revs the more A/C is produced and rectified. Imagine a fence with uneven boards? Now imagine a circular saw running along a guide cutting to even lengths - that is the job of the regulator, to regulate the uneven spikes to just over 14vdc. a 14 vdc zener diode does the job and the excess is shunted to ground through a load resister - it gets hot.

Your fault codes are indicating a low regulator output - less than what is req'd to charge the battery with the engine running. Possibly, in time, your battery will go dead or at the least not have enough voltage to supply the starter.

With the engine running I'd measure from the positive battery terminal to a good frame ground, at around 2k RPM it should measure 14.2 VDC. If not, the problem is either the regulator or the stator. I'd suspect the regulator. Possibly the mounting. It must be grounded to the frame tightly to ensure proper operation. That is crucial.

The following 2 users liked this post by 6530mask:
Byron P (01-10-2023), wjg (09-18-2017)
Old 08-20-2017, 11:24 AM
6530mask
Elite HDF Member
Received 451 Likes on 345 Posts

from a contributor ....... FWIW

P0562 error code cause

Just thought I'd post here and describe the issue I had, and what it took to fix it. It's long, but hopefully the details will help someone out someday. My baby is an 06 Road King Classic with about 63000 miles. I bought it new in October of 05, the entire motor is bone stock.

A few weeks ago while I was riding to the mountains, my check engine and battery light came on at the same time. They both stayed on for a while, maybe 20 minutes or so until I turned the bike off. A few minutes later, I fired it back up and headed home - of course, the check engine light came on briefly after starting up this time since there was now a stored error code, but went out and things looked fine for a little bit, no error lights. It was about an hours ride home though, and after about 10 minutes, the check engine and battery lights started coming on together for a few minutes, and then going off together for few minutes. Probably cycled back and forth like that about 10 times on the way home.

I checked the error code when I got home, which was P0562 low battery voltage. I still have the original battery, so that was my first guess, but I'm not one to start throwing money at a problem without knowing what the cause is, so I took my time figuring it out. I got a digital meter and started doing some checks on the stator using some tips I found. My bike apparently has a 3 phase stator, and produced good voltage across all three terminals, and wasn't shorted out or grounded out, so I felt pretty good about the stator.

However, when the bike was cold, I could check the voltage at the battery after first starting it up, and it would quickly climb to nearly 14 volts. After a few minutes though, the voltage would start to drop off and then start a slow and steady fall. Since the error lights had first come on, I noticed that each time I fired up the bike to test it, it would take less and less time for the voltage to start dropping off, and eventually it would do it after less than 5 minutes.

I figured the cause was the voltage regulator, and apparently I was right. My old regulator was the stock black unit, but I had added one of those
HD chrome covers HD chrome covers
to it - don't know if that had anything to do with it, but never can tell. I replaced it with an
HD chrome regulator HD chrome regulator
, which is about $30 cheaper than a stock one, and a real bargain at $169. Right.

No more error codes now, just spent a few hours on the road today. My 5 year old battery will surely need to be replaced soon, but sure does seem a lot more lively for now. I believe that my voltage regulator had slowly been failing for a while, each time taking just a little less time to fail until the battery could no longer cover up the low voltage situation.

Anyway, seems like the problem is fixed now. Hope this helps anyone having the same issue.

The following users liked this post:
wjg (09-18-2017)
Old 09-18-2017, 04:22 PM
wjg
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a quick update. Have put a little over 300 miles since the repairs, and everything is still good. No Lights on. P.S. I removed the voltage regulator to clean the mounting bracket and bolt holes to make sure I had a good ground. I left the chrome cover off, and don't think I will put it back on. Unless it has to have a cover to help protect from the elements. Please advise if I need to replace the cover. I will not use the chrome cover though. Lol!!