Is my charging voltage too high? - Page 2 - Harley Davidson Forums

Notices
Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Is my charging voltage too high?

Old 12-29-2018, 02:01 AM
TriGeezer
Supporter
Thanked 2,887 Times in 1,636 Posts

Being convinced the regulator is fubar, I ordered a replacement from Surdyke. List of $232, sell,price $174, offset $50 for what would be the deductible. This is not the first time I’ve done my own repairs whilst a bike was in warranty. One of the reasons I will not get an ESP.

Old 01-04-2019, 10:17 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Thanked 1,529 Times in 1,411 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by TriGeezer View Post
Being convinced the regulator is fubar, I ordered a replacement from Surdyke. List of $232, sell,price $174, offset $50 for what would be the deductible. This is not the first time Iíve done my own repairs whilst a bike was in warranty. One of the reasons I will not get an ESP.
Woah there! Your dealer tells you your bike is in spec and you go out and buy a replacement? That doesn't compute!

Old 01-05-2019, 01:08 PM
Zanthamos
Club Member

Remember, not all dealer mechanics are that well educated or experienced in Harley mechanics to be able to give a good diagnosis. Book says in spec but the high for book is 15.3, something is not quite right there. Yes in spec is in spec but being in the middle is perferred.

Old 01-05-2019, 01:19 PM
TriGeezer
Supporter
Thanked 2,887 Times in 1,636 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown View Post
Woah there! Your dealer tells you your bike is in spec and you go out and buy a replacement? That doesn't compute!
i donít agree with the spec. As well, thereís a reason why there is a red section on the built in volt meter, and Iím not happy when the needle is at the 1/2 way point in the red. Further, all the technical information Iíve read, other than the HD spec indicates 14,7 is the maximum.

Iíll be interested what happens when I replace the voltage regulator. . Oh yeah, I was an electrical/electronic engineer. Itís not hard to design a voltage regulator that operates in a tight tolerance range. Either a very crappy design, or marginal components would allow a voltage regulator to drift over 0.5 Volts.

Ill have better peace of mind with a tighter control range.

Niw, Iím just waiting for Surdyke to ship my regulator.

Old 01-10-2019, 07:32 PM
Goose_NC
Road Master

Originally Posted by TriGeezer View Post

i donít agree with the spec. As well, thereís a reason why there is a red section on the built in volt meter, and Iím not happy when the needle is at the 1/2 way point in the red. Further, all the technical information Iíve read, other than the HD spec indicates 14,7 is the maximum.

Iíll be interested what happens when I replace the voltage regulator. . Oh yeah, I was an electrical/electronic engineer. Itís not hard to design a voltage regulator that operates in a tight tolerance range. Either a very crappy design, or marginal components would allow a voltage regulator to drift over 0.5 Volts.

Ill have better peace of mind with a tighter control range.

Niw, Iím just waiting for Surdyke to ship my regulator.
Check out Cycle Electric regulators.

And as an engineer, why would you knowingly buy a marginal part again?

Old 01-10-2019, 07:39 PM
Kingglide549
Elite HDF Member

Regulators or whatever they are called either go high when going bad, or just quit
The other culprit is bad grounding.(which will cause too high V also)
Long and short is -Over 15 V is too high

Last edited by Kingglide549; 01-10-2019 at 07:41 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:56 AM
skinman13
Road Warrior

I am kinda late wading in late to add my dos centavos here. I have a few years experience with automotive charging systems and in my experience, 15 vdc is on the high side for charging a new 12.6 vdc automotive charging system, and it should go down as the battery charges. If your battery is not relatively new and your system just started reading this high one day, then it is indicating an issue that needs addressing before it becomes a problem. It is interesting that your indicator red line starts at 15.1 volts and this is supposed to warn you of an issue yet the dealer techs verified that the system is operating within the published high range, which is inside the red line warning range.

Search this Thread
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: