Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

1999 fxdwg burnt tsm and want to fix alarm

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2021, 11:03 PM
brc0703
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 fxdwg burnt tsm and want to fix alarm

was riding my 1999 wideglide down the freeway and lights started flashing and it died.. it burnt the turn signal control module... im assuming something caused it and dont want to replace it just to burn another one.. its been having issues starting and needing a jump if its been more than 5 min since i shut it off.. battery is 2 months old and still showing 12.6v but drops down to 3 when cranking..and only has an issue when the key is on and the run is switched on.. if the run switch is off the lights are fine... also it no longer was showing the "ENGINE" in red on the dash when in run..

since ive owned the bike (about 1.5 yrs) the turn signals have never blinked they are just on and off.. i have to tap the button to make them blink.. ive read about led signals needing a resistor or something inline for whatever reason and also read a lot have them built in and these lights came as motorcyle tail/brake signal lights so figure would be fine out the package and have been working for 6 months and still working..also run a dynatek tc88 ignition module

also this thing has an alarm system on it but has not worked since ive owneed the bike.. the previous owner dumped it once and ripped the dash off and did a hack job repairing it.. i did the best i could patching and was happy just getting it running and didnt even mess with the alarm.. now id like to get it working again i have 3 clickers for it but i cant seem to find any info for wiring or installing... says elvgr8a on the black box under seat. i looked it up and all i can find is a an fcc application with freq info and mumbo jumbo but does say
  • Application: Vehicle Security Device
  • Equipment Class: CRR - Superregenerative Receiver
wondering if anyone knows anything about the alarm i tried uploading pics but keeps showing my a message just saying error alert with no other info about the error..

Old 06-26-2021, 06:49 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,499 Likes on 4,612 Posts

You have several things going on here.

The best approach is one step at a time, then move on to the next problem.

You say the battery drops to 3v when starting, are you reading the voltage at the battery posts?

Are you sure the voltmeter is good?

Remove the battery, take it to a shop or auto part store and have it load tested.

Clean all battery cable connection points.

Old 06-26-2021, 11:35 AM
brc0703
Intermediate

so pulled all the wiring out from under the seat and went over all the connections and found 6 wires that were rubbed through the insulation... i heat shrinked the damaged areas and then i disasembled the turn signal module and replaced the diode and the bike is running..really i just wanted to see if i could fix it to make sure i dont fry the new tsm when i hook it up.. still need to find one..

i understand the alarm a little better now.. it looks like it just adds connections between the harness and cdi and then taps into the lights... it did have a little rectangle box on it before that just had 2 wires.. one connected somewhere and the other end was just loose... i took it off when i first got the bike... i dont know if its was for the alarm or something else.. theres a little 2 wire plug i think is for the siren and then 1 loose wires on the security module i dont know what for.. might have been the box i took off... id really like to get this working again

Old 06-26-2021, 03:44 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 716 Likes on 566 Posts

you need to buy or download the electronic diagnostic manual for your bike, it will have the info you are missing. need fresh batteries in the fobs, but you still might need a new TSSM.
the TSM is just a turn signal module, the TSSM is the turn signal security module and they are different. now that you've got your wiring worked out, see if the batteries make things work.
m

Old 06-27-2021, 05:08 AM
Zanthamos
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 431 Likes on 360 Posts

Ok, first off if the battery drops below 8.5 when cranking the battery is bad. Enough said on that front, get a new one. Second good that you found the chaffed wires and repairs them, now go to the often mentioned Harley SIP page https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson.com/sip/ and enter your VIN to get the wiring diagrams for your bike. Ensure that the console connections are correct. The module you referenced may have been an aftermarket TSM or security system. The security system would have to be identified or replaced to get it to work. It is ID'd by the FCC as a Nutek GR8A which is out of business so I would suggest switching to another system.

Old 06-30-2021, 06:17 AM
brc0703
Intermediate

so was riding and burned up my Dynatek TC88 ignition module and i have the stock one i took off it but dont want to burn it up with the bad tsm and the tsm i have is the older grey rectangle one not the newer style black oval tsm/tssm.. is there a way to bypass and just take it off completely?

i also have a tsm (or tssm not sure how to tell the difference) off a carbbed 2002 dyna with the ignition module but i believe there some extra features on the newer one for like starting with it in neutral and stuff? oh and i completely removed the security system so dont have to worry about that anymore...

the 1999 ignition from my bike 32478-99 seems identical to the 2002 model 32478-99A other than the part number adding an A but have 2 totally different tsm's
would they be interchangeable? im looking over the pin out of the tsm and dont really see anything that would stop it from starting other than the 1 wire to the speedo that i understand is for the auto cancelling of the blinkers and isnt required anyway.. i dont see why i cant just unplug it?

oh i just remember when i switched to the Dynatek tc88 ignition i got rid of the cam position sensor.. im gona have to find the old cam chest with the sensor to use the original ignition wont i? but 2002 doesnt use a cam position sensor would i be able to use that one? crap..

thanks for all the help.. i feel like i know the answer but just need to have some confirmation

Old 06-30-2021, 07:34 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,499 Likes on 4,612 Posts

I can`t keep up with this...

Old 06-30-2021, 03:01 PM
Zanthamos
Outstanding HDF Member

On the 1999 models there is no signal going from the Turn Signals Canceler module to the Ignition Control Module as there would be on the 2000 on up. The 1999 still used the 1996 turn signal canceler rather than a turn signal module or a turn signal security module which would have the connection to the ICM for the security part. So no the TSM from the 2002 will not work in your 1999 bike. Additionally, the TSM could not have fried your ignition module as there is no touching it. The Speedometer has a wire to send output signals to the turn signals canceller for self cancelling.

Old 07-02-2021, 06:51 AM
brc0703
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Zanthamos
On the 1999 models there is no signal going from the Turn Signals Canceler module to the Ignition Control Module as there would be on the 2000 on up. The 1999 still used the 1996 turn signal canceler rather than a turn signal module or a turn signal security module which would have the connection to the ICM for the security part. So no the TSM from the 2002 will not work in your 1999 bike. Additionally, the TSM could not have fried your ignition module as there is no touching it. The Speedometer has a wire to send output signals to the turn signals canceller for self cancelling.

well i installed the 2002 ignition and no tsm and it ran awesome.... for about 2 miles and then a loud pop and fizzled out... i founnd wires pinched by the seat and while installing the 99 cam chest with cam position sensor i found wires for crank/cam/oil sensors breaking at the connector under the bike.. fixed everything i could find wrong and put it all back together with 1999 ignition and this time was a little different.. after about 5 minutes riding it started misfiring sounding like gun shots and bucking for about 2 seconds then settle back down to normal... about 2 minutes later did the same thing.. stopped for about 30 minutes and started back home and did the backfire bucking thing for 2-3 seconds and died...

i might just need to get a complete wiring harness for this thing and scrap this birds nest

is there a guide somewhere to get a pin reading of the connectors?? like with ign off pin 1 should be grounded or 100ohm or something? pin 2 12v and 3.4.5??

maybe i should check my regulator like i should have done first before anything...

Last edited by brc0703; 07-02-2021 at 06:54 AM.
Old 07-03-2021, 12:35 AM
Zanthamos
Outstanding HDF Member

The factory electrical service manual is your best chance.

Quick Reply: 1999 fxdwg burnt tsm and want to fix alarm