Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Ultima 18-533 harness

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 01:55 PM
stash13
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultima 18-533 harness

Let me know what they say.

Old 01-15-2012, 04:28 PM
hajimetai
Novice

Midwest told me to bypass it.They said it has something to do with the design of the module. Which basically telling me it doesn't work as in instructions anyways....

Now, my turn signal won't cancel after blinking 10 times so I replaced with new one I had for another bike I was building....

AND IT DOES EXACT SAME THING...not canceling automatically....

Old 01-16-2012, 12:04 PM
hajimetai
Novice

I just confirmed with Brian from Midwest LLC that following issue are inherent to the unit. So it will not work as in instructions. It's a known issue and not addressed anyways even in instructions.

1. You have to bypass the brake wires otherwise brake will cancel the turn signals.

2. Auto turn signal cancel function does not work.

So I guess if I wanted auto cancel the signal, I need to buy another module not Ultima... bad idea to use this unit to begin with.
I hope I knew all this before installed...2units....

Last edited by hajimetai; 01-16-2012 at 03:03 PM.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:15 AM
stash13
Novice

The auto cancel on my system works just fine. It's just the brake light turn signal function that doesn't work.

Old 01-17-2012, 06:34 AM
stash13
Novice

hajimetai...maybe a simple load equalizer from badlands>Not for sure what you are running for turn signals...LED's or incandescent.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:07 AM
abnormal
2nd Gear
Default Abnormal

Originally Posted by stash13
I have an ultima #18-533 wiring harness that i'm using...problem it is suppose to when you apply your brakes with your turn signals on it is suppose to make the opposite turn signal work as a brake light, instead it just cancels out the turn signal that is engaged. Has anybody out there problem with this particular harness? I would appreciate any help in this matter. Thanks.
I am trying to install this on a 72 shovel and. so far, can not get the turn signals, or brake lights working-only instructions are for newer models-what is different on an older bike that I may need to change to make this harness work?

Old 05-16-2012, 03:57 PM
shovelshort
Intermediate
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I am installing this harness on a 96 custom build evo softail. I cannot get any of the turn signals to work; the tail light is lit up like the brake is on all the time; and when I hit the start button the only thing that happens is the headlight and indicator lights dim.

I bypassed the unit for the turn signals and they lit up (did not blink) when I hit the switch and went off as soon as I let off. I also tried to bypass the signal switch by touching the switch power wire to the right or left switch wire without any reaction.

I ran a postive battery cable to the large post on top of the selenoid and the green wire to the flag terminal on the front of the selenoid. Was this right? I would love some pics to know for sure. Searched for this in another location and the pics had been removed.

I have an email into Midwest waiting for a reply. Bought the unit from BKRider on ebay.

Ok, it has been a few days and I have not heard back from Midwest. What does everyone think? Is my harness faulty? I read on here they sent a new one out to some guys having problems with theirs. How did you get that done?

Last edited by shovelshort; 05-18-2012 at 09:55 AM. Reason: add information
Old 09-24-2012, 06:10 PM
shovelshort
Intermediate

I received a new harness and still have problems. I was able to trouble shoot a few things that were my fault like now the bike kicks over and runs when I hit the start button.

Brake lights work in reverse. Light is on until I squeeze the handle. I have reversed the wires and it just does the same thing. I got the turn signals to work for a moment, now nothing.

Midwest is no help. They told me to take it to someone who knows what they are doing. If I wanted to do that I never would have bought a harness, know what I mean?

Old 09-27-2012, 09:03 PM
shovelshort
Intermediate

I got the turn signals to work. They had some odd type of soder on the wire ends that kept them from making a good contact.

Still no luck on the brake light. I took both wires leading from the unit to the front brake lever and put them together. The lights went out. As soon as I separated them, they came back on. Opposite of what I would think they should do. Of course the button in the brake lever works in opposite fashion as this. Pulling the lever makes a connection between the two wires. What the hell do I do?

Old 02-23-2020, 08:56 PM
Anthony Fleury
Stage IV

I have a custom made trike. My brake lights and turn signals are one unit. The turn signals would not work while applying the brakes.
I tried ruining the brake wire separately to the switch, then to the tail lights. Still the same issue. So I got a Hopkins converter part number 48847. Works perfectly. I hope this helps someone. Less then $20.00 to make it work right.

Last edited by Anthony Fleury; 02-23-2020 at 08:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Ultima 18-533 harness