Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Hollow Exhaust Pop?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 08:15 PM
dynasnow
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hollow Exhaust Pop?

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a new to me 2005 Dyna Low Rider FXDLi. This is my first Harley, actually, it's my first road bike so I am trying to learn all I can.

I have noticed when I am driving out of my neighborhood in first or second gear there is sometimes a hollow exhaust pop, almost like a burp out of the pipe if that doesn't sound crazy. It only happens from about 2300 to 2800 RPM. Lower or higher than that and it runs real smooth. Maybe it just doesn't like the speed I'm traveling in those gears?

I plan on purchasing a Power Vision because I think the bike is running lean right now. It has some deceleration pop sometimes. Maybe the exhaust burp is also because it is running too lean right now?

I would appreciate any opinions.

Thanks.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:26 PM
JesseDyna
Road Warrior
Received 312 Likes on 228 Posts

Looks like it's injected and I'm more familiar with carb models but may be an intake leak. If you do a search on Harley Intake Leak Test on youtube - you'll find it's very simple to test (a bit of brake or carb cleaner sprayed at the intake/head interface).

Other than that - it could be tuning for enrich, among other things. What pipes does it have? Free breathing intake?

Old 09-13-2017, 08:41 PM
dynasnow
Novice

I will check for a leak in the morning.

It is fuel injected. Stock intake and I am pretty sure it is stock exhaust as well.

Old 09-14-2017, 10:39 AM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 715 Likes on 626 Posts

any codes??? if the IAC is sticking, you maybe getting bleed air and it will cause the mix to go lean. the TPS could have a rough spot in that area which could alter fuel rate. the map probably not but check for vacuum leaks or soft tubing.
happens steady throttle, decel or acel?

Old 09-14-2017, 10:53 AM
dynasnow
Novice

Originally Posted by bustert
any codes??? if the IAC is sticking, you maybe getting bleed air and it will cause the mix to go lean. the TPS could have a rough spot in that area which could alter fuel rate. the map probably not but check for vacuum leaks or soft tubing.
happens steady throttle, decel or acel?
No codes and It only happens at steady throttle. How do I check for a vacuum leak? And the TPS is the throttle position sensor?

Old 09-14-2017, 12:03 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 970 Likes on 733 Posts

Also check for exhaust leaks.
Does it happen if the motor is hot or cold, or doesn't matter?

Old 09-14-2017, 06:38 PM
dynasnow
Novice

Today I was able to change the air cleaner and check for leaks on the intake manifold. I didn't get and changes in the idle when spraying the different gaskets. I still need to look for exhaust leaks. Im starting to wonder if it's a backfire out of the exhaust. I am new to all this so I dont really know what a backfire would feel or sound like.

To answer some some of the questions, it does not matter if it is hot or cold. And my exhaust is an aftermarket exhaust. Tech at the dealership said it was probably a chromewerks set.

While i I was at the dealership getting a new air cleaner I asked about my problem and the tech told me it was a dead spot that the bike has. He said it was no problem. Does that sound like anything y'all have heard about?

Old 09-16-2017, 02:21 AM
badcooky
Banned
Received 473 Likes on 370 Posts

It's probably just running a little lean at those revs like you said , try putting some extra baffling in the mufflers or a stock air cleaner if it goes away or gets better yea it's lean if it gets worse it's rich .
If it makes no difference it's something else.

Old 09-19-2017, 01:11 PM
dynasnow
Novice

After a weekend trip on the bike, the popping started to get worse. I read something that said the spark plugs should be one of the first things checked. I decided I would just change the plugs since I didn't know when they had been last changed. So after putting in some new NGK iridiums, the popping has gone away. The front plug that I replaced was dirty and so I am pretty sure it was causing the problem.

I did also tighten the back exhaust pipe flange because it was slightly loose.

I am now wondering if I should wait to instal a power vision until the winter when I make the air cleaner and exhaust changes I have planned?

Old 09-19-2017, 01:15 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 970 Likes on 733 Posts

Glad it was easy. The rear flange was probably the culprit, but the dirty plug didn't help. You could have saved some money and used stock plugs, but at least you got it sorted out.
You could install the PV before the other mods. The stock map is lean and a little tweaking can only help.