Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 04:54 AM
Camwerkz
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi all, I hate to hi jack this thread, but its somehow related.
Would silicon or something help to stop the leak in this case? I seems to be coming from the tube right side of the filter.

Quite a lot of oil leaking after overnight parking. I hope to get some advice, thank you so much

Last edited by Camwerkz; 11-15-2017 at 04:56 AM.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:04 AM
2009rocker
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From what can see by the picture is that the oil is coming from the stator plug. My bike had the same problem and you can stop the by clearing the area with carb and choke cleaner. You must clean everything around and under the plug so that the silicone will stick to plug and the case. Let it sit overnight and you should have no oil leak. I let mine sit for two days. I hope this will fix your problem. If it leaks then you didn't clean it good enough. I used black silicone from orileys to match the black wires and engine case. Good luck

The following users liked this post:
Camwerkz (11-15-2017)
Old 11-15-2017, 05:20 PM
Camwerkz
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 2009rocker
From what can see by the picture is that the oil is coming from the stator plug. My bike had the same problem and you can stop the by clearing the area with carb and choke cleaner. You must clean everything around and under the plug so that the silicone will stick to plug and the case. Let it sit overnight and you should have no oil leak. I let mine sit for two days. I hope this will fix your problem. If it leaks then you didn't clean it good enough. I used black silicone from orileys to match the black wires and engine case. Good luck
Thanks. Will apply some silicon around that area.
Just asking also, I did an oil change prior to this phenomenon,
I heard the oil filter change is the main culprit of which the oil flows out and into the regulator area.

Question: Does this regulator area store a decent amount of oil which flows out during the filter change? Strange thing is its been 2 days and I've been seeing the same amount of oil on the floor after cleaning up.
(I didn't go for a ride in fear of more oil spurting out)

I'm thinking of removing it and check.

Last edited by Camwerkz; 11-15-2017 at 05:24 PM.
Old 11-15-2017, 05:31 PM
2009rocker
6th Gear

Are you seeing oil coming out under the oil filter? If so then I would to tighten it and if you aren't able to tighten it then loosen it then re tighten. If you had a shop to change your oil then take it back and have them to fix it.

Old 11-15-2017, 05:39 PM
Camwerkz
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 2009rocker
Are you seeing oil coming out under the oil filter? If so then I would to tighten it and if you aren't able to tighten it then loosen it then re tighten. If you had a shop to change your oil then take it back and have them to fix it.
No oil coming out from under the oil filter.
Yeah, I'm planning to do so tomorrow, as in taking the baby down to the shop. Ain't got time these few days due to work.
But to avoid unnecessary worrying, I'm thinking of leaving it for a day and check again to see if the spillage is the same as the previous 2 days.

I read on some forums that the residual oil from a oil filter change could take a while to stop. If this is true than I wouldn't be worrying so much, but I wonder "a while" is how long and how much oil *Laughs*

Old 11-15-2017, 05:48 PM
2009rocker
6th Gear

There are several forums about the stator plug too. I didn't think it was the stator plug either, but with further investigation that it was the stator plug. It was a bad design on Harley Davidson engine. Mostly the evo engine. Be sure to clean all around the plug and under it too so the rt silicone will stick.

Camwerkz (11-15-2017)
Old 11-16-2017, 09:43 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Take the bike to a car wash and thoroughly clean the whole area around the filter, regulator, under carriage, stator plug, etc. By the time you get the bike home, all should be dry and clean. Let her sit and see where the oil is coming from, then address stopping the leak.

As was already suggested, I would also give the filter a twist to make sure it is tight to the filter mount.

Last edited by djl; 11-16-2017 at 09:44 AM.
Camwerkz (11-17-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 04:48 AM
Camwerkz
Intermediate

Originally Posted by djl
Take the bike to a car wash and thoroughly clean the whole area around the filter, regulator, under carriage, stator plug, etc. By the time you get the bike home, all should be dry and clean. Let her sit and see where the oil is coming from, then address stopping the leak.

As was already suggested, I would also give the filter a twist to make sure it is tight to the filter mount.
Hi, as you have suggested. There isn't a leak no more after 3 days.
I'm surprised to see so much residual oil after an oil change.
I think I may just do it myself in future with some suggested methods of oil leak preventive measured.
Thanks guys

Old 11-17-2017, 11:03 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Or, as I have done, remotely mount the oil filter.

Attached Thumbnails Oil leak-remote-filter-mount_02flht.jpg